Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 DRL headlights for sale?

TheMendez93

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, bare with me.

I own a Ford Focus MK3 Zetec S, Diesel, and i absolutely love the car. It still looks brand new even though its 6 years old.

However, I'm shocked it doesn't come with DRLs in the headlights, but I have seen other focus cars with them in as standard, which aren't Zetec S. 

Firstly, does anyone know where i can buy some actual drl headlights? I don't want to use aftermarket as they look a bit cheap and i don't really want to start messing with the bumper to fit them in.

And secondly, regarding fitting them in,  am i able to 'plug and play' the headlight unit in, and will it work as normal? Or will it need to be rewired for it to work?

Heres a pic of my car for reference

Thanks all

Joel

20200717_083137.png

The law change for daytime running lights was that models designed after Feb 2011 (I think) had to have them, so some models had them earlier and some later. If the design change for the Focus was say 2010 and then 2016 the 16 model probably got them.

I'd agree with what you said, the Ford day running lights (LED version) look great, and aftermarket generally look like a tacky add on. Mini use a second bulb in the driving lamps (that look like fog lamps) and when I had a Saab several guys had done this by just using a piggy back fuse and drilling out the front fogs to fit a bulb holder and an LED buld. They just wired it to a 'live when ignition on' fuse and the pics were impressive. There are rules about exactly how bright a daytime light should be and that they should dim when the lights came on, they ignored that but they weren't as bright as proper DRL's. No MOT issues reported.

I wonder if the headlights would just swap from a newer model?

Our Fiesta is a 2014 and although it has DRL's they are the dip beam as far as I can tell, I'd love the LED version if anyone has a sollution.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheMendez93 said:

... I don't want to use aftermarket as they look a bit cheap and i don't really want to start messing with the bumper to fit them in.

Hey, who are you calling cheap?? LOL

1273111890_DRLnonumber.thumb.jpg.a0d762a92dd630f39debd9664abe409a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Yeah that's what the Saab guys did, used the fogs. I do like that look - note I said pics were great! Do they dim when lights on?

51 minutes ago, TheMendez93 said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, bare with me.

I own a Ford Focus MK3 Zetec S, Diesel, and i absolutely love the car. It still looks brand new even though its 6 years old.

However, I'm shocked it doesn't come with DRLs in the headlights, but I have seen other focus cars with them in as standard, which aren't Zetec S. 

Firstly, does anyone know where i can buy some actual drl headlights? I don't want to use aftermarket as they look a bit cheap and i don't really want to start messing with the bumper to fit them in.

And secondly, regarding fitting them in,  am i able to 'plug and play' the headlight unit in, and will it work as normal? Or will it need to be rewired for it to work?

Heres a pic of my car for reference

Thanks all

Joel

20200717_083137.png

That's my cars twin 😂 it's the Titanium that came with drls that's why they look basic but have more toys inside. I think you need to activate them in the PCM to work so no straight plug and play. 

• Thanks 1

You sometimes see the headlights pop up on this group (can take a while to be approved):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1296317503759939/

It's often cheaper than finding them on eBay, can't say anything about activation other than on the Mk 3.5 it was plug and play, then activate Forscan. 

1 hour ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

Yeah that's what the Saab guys did, used the fogs. I do like that look - note I said pics were great! Do they dim when lights on?

No fog lights were harmed in the making of my DRLs LOL I just had blanking plates, and bought some halo LEDs from Hong Kong! OIf course they don't dim when lights are on 🤣

Though I can turn them on/off with or without halo independently!

1635902780_blankplate.thumb.jpg.4cf2fd0143cab03eed7aecd9e9137f29.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like that, I have to say as a none Fiesta or Ford expert from the front view I would have assumed your car was an RS or something.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

I really like that, I have to say as a none Fiesta or Ford expert from the front view I would have assumed your car was an RS or something.

I'm assuming you're talking about the OP's car, and not my 15 year old LX LOL 😀

"Zetec S...all of the show, none of the go" :wink: 

Have a look at the Mk4 Focus ST Line X...looks fantastic externally, you'd expect it to have at least ~180bhp...  Most of them are 125bhp 1.0 EcoBoosts. :sad: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have a look at the Mk4 Focus ST Line X...looks fantastic externally, you'd expect it to have at least ~180bhp...  Most of them are 125bhp 1.0 EcoBoosts. :sad: 

Yes I'd agree. I'm just saying that to the Ave Joe they look like a higher spec and I'd assume quite quick. If I had a 125 bhp eco boost that looked that quick I'd have to get it chipped. I usually have a glance at tyre width if in doubt.

Personally I'd find it more amusing to have a fast car that looks slow than a slow car that looks fast, but we have to take into account the insurance position for young drivers. My 215 bhp Saab was £180 fully comp, my 300 bhp Skoda is £202 - that's a year not a month to the under 25's!! No way would I justify a hot or modified car if it pushed the already high premiums through the roof.

I think both Fiesta's pictured look very nice, it's a model that really doesn't show its age. I don't think they've ever made an ugly Fiesta.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Mines is the 163 defo better than the 125 and puts my old mk2 1.6 100ps to shame 😂 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

The law change for daytime running lights was that models designed after Feb 2011 (I think) had to have them, so some models had them earlier and some later. If the design change for the Focus was say 2010 and then 2016 the 16 model probably got them.

I'd agree with what you said, the Ford day running lights (LED version) look great, and aftermarket generally look like a tacky add on. Mini use a second bulb in the driving lamps (that look like fog lamps) and when I had a Saab several guys had done this by just using a piggy back fuse and drilling out the front fogs to fit a bulb holder and an LED buld. They just wired it to a 'live when ignition on' fuse and the pics were impressive. There are rules about exactly how bright a daytime light should be and that they should dim when the lights came on, they ignored that but they weren't as bright as proper DRL's. No MOT issues reported.

I wonder if the headlights would just swap from a newer model?

Our Fiesta is a 2014 and although it has DRL's they are the dip beam as far as I can tell, I'd love the LED version if anyone has a sollution.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah had a fiesta 07 plate a few years ago which i did that too, replaced the fogs with LED Bulbs and wired it too the sidelights, was fine on the MOT.

I don't really want to do that this time I want my focus to keep the elegance that factory fitted drls give, rather than add them myself and it be obvious to others there on the car as a DIY job

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

No offence 😂 they look pretty good tbf might have to do that if I can't have proper headlights in.

Taking it to Spain in October so want it looking the part

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

The bodykit the car has is gorgeous.

The drls would be the final piece to make the car perfect

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club