Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone installed a DAB roof mounted aerial?

StephenFord

I am looking at installing a roof mount DAB aerial. I have a simple Nextbase DAB converter which works well for my limited needs, and for the last year it has been fed with a standard windscreen DAB aerial. However, since my favourite station (TalkRadio) stopped broadcasting on standard DAB, and moved to DAB+ last week, the reception has been awful.

Just wondered if anyone has a specific aerial they can recommend so I can get some decent reception?

10 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

I think you would need one of These

mmm..., the stock Ford aerial connector looks totally different?

1884832444_stockaerial.thumb.jpg.79f8eee5ae635f52612c372286e96ac2.jpg

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

mmm..., the stock Ford aerial connector looks totally different?

1884832444_stockaerial.thumb.jpg.79f8eee5ae635f52612c372286e96ac2.jpg

Yeh not exactly that one but have seen it referred to fakra to dab. 

• Like 1

OK, I have now bought the DAB splitter with 3 adapters (!). The blue wire needs to be connected to a 12v supply (live on ignition). Can someone advise using my photo above behind my head unit, which is a suitable wire to splice in to?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.162db85783987cd795783e7b5c80ff15.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F0CUE said:

@Lenniemight know knows the MK2 inside out 😂

Edit: this - > @Lenny won't let me edit it out. 

Thanks for the recommendation 👍

@StephenFord for optimum results on the aerial your best to use a piggyback fuse adapter to an ignition live fuse 

By getting your ignition live from a piggyback instead of splicing in to the rear of the headunit you are better guaranteed to be providing the aerial with true 12v supply aswell as reduced white noise as the power isint coming from the same source and going in to the same unit, there separately sourced feeds.

The mk2 focus fuseboard is a little different to the mk2.5 so my recommendation of fuse F100 being an ignition live might be different on the mk2, However the rear window heater is an ignition live if you can find that one,

Then you need to purchase a mini fuse piggy back adapter, 10Amp fuse and some 10 or 15AMP cable to run from the piggyback to your aerial adapter 

Followed by a Male and female insulated spade crimp terminals, I recommend putting the insulated female crimp on the end feeding from the fuseboard; this way all remains safe if the unit was ever unplugged. 

I don't do anything on here for profit and all my guides are free but I just so happen to have some extra piggyback fuse adapters, cable, crimps and fuse if you want I can send them to you from Ireland for €8 to cover postage, would take four days to arrive though, and if your planning to do other modification then you may be looking to purchase more cable, no pressure on my offer just thought I'd say, I wont profit either way, just to cover shipping cost. 

• Like 3

Bummer LOL I have a spare 'scotchlok' in my garage, was hoping to crimp onto an existing wire which I could easily manage, but on reading your advice, I will have to go somewhere to get it done. I was hoping not to as it'll cost money I ain't got. Way above my skill level and current suppleness of body twisting within my car 🤣

So, if I wanted to bodge it, what wire would you suggest I might splice in to then? 😀

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Bummer LOL I have a spare 'scotchlok' in my garage, was hoping to crimp onto an existing wire which I could easily manage, but on reading your advice, I will have to go somewhere to get it done. I was hoping not to as it'll cost money I ain't got. Way above my skill level and current suppleness of body twisting within my car 🤣

So, if I wanted to bodge it, what wire would you suggest I might splice in to then? 😀

Been a while since I done this to save space I chopped the factory plug and crimped directly to the pioneer aftermarket loom eliminates the requirement for a bulky iso adapter 😅

20200722_101618.thumb.jpg.04a1ddec2cdb3d414e5238b3845cf303.jpg

Anyway moving on to more relevant content: yellow & Green cable at the rear of the headunit on the mk2 & mk2.5 headunit is a switched ignition live feed fed from fuse F108 on the board 

Note: you will need to turn on the ignition to activate the DAB aerial amp, when wiring in this way, the headunit also has a permanent live supply which is a black & orange coloured cable fed from F112 on the board which would see your aerial permanently amplified which will drain your battery

Also as said previously the level of interference in the form of white noise may be caused by wiring the aerial amplifier in to the same source as the headunit which your already aware. 

Hope this helps, cable reference taken from Haynes 

20200722_103512.thumb.jpg.0c2ccb934cbfa9de3006c3ad87abf426.jpg

• Like 2

That sounds brilliant! Now, treat me like a dummy (no offense will be taken LOL) So, if I splice into the wire (green/yellow) as highlighted below, I should be OK?  (interference potential aside! 😀)

1084201087_yellowgreen.thumb.jpg.20856c4940ffd3588f3da90c30c5e0ec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Len, that is what we in the trade refer to as a Birds Nest 🤣

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, mjt said:

Len, that is what we in the trade refer to as a Birds Nest 🤣

More of a cookoo or s storks now I've added two usb, 6 RCA for amplifier output, HDMI input from the centre console for amazon fire stick, a further 6 RCA for tv tuner input and mirror screen output to the 10" roof monitor, and one final RCA input for the reverse camera, all RCA are on extended cables factory fitted to the rear of the pioneer headunit at staggered lengths to reduce the overall bulk. 

Had to temporarily remove the blower vents to fit my hands in there and tuck everything in while putting in the 7" screen. 

Shes tidy though 

IMG_20150331_103547.thumb.jpg.0c717198218743e77421c6691b2127b4.jpg

IMG_20150419_183454.thumb.jpg.7297b79354db0118471996e570fdde17.jpg

IMG_20150419_183526.thumb.jpg.ff742a12bac1cf42559db6c54905bbf3.jpg

20200517_180421.thumb.jpg.f69f4f39dac29554752a88b336f0851a.jpg

imageproxy.jpeg.jpg.a19c94feb75f4c8553b5076e9f45f3c6.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

That sounds brilliant! Now, treat me like a dummy (no offense will be taken LOL) So, if I splice into the wire (green/yellow) as highlighted below, I should be OK?  (interference potential aside! 😀)

No it's the yellow & Green not the Green & yellow 😉

5kUU.gif.52a539e02ec57e08bd5de74d879d404f.gif

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Lenny said:

No it's the yellow & Green not the Green & yellow 😉

Your car does look fabulous, wish mine had one of those fancy 'screens', and I just love that new A/C dash mounted unit you installed! Much better than the standard one fitted 🤣

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Your car does look fabulous, wish mine had one of those fancy 'screens', and I just love that new A/C dash mounted unit you installed! Much better than the standard one fitted 🤣

Thanks I've put slot of work in to it; too much really, I should have moved on to home improvement earlier in life but the screen is useful now for watching TV not that difficult to install.

That's for lunch breaks during the day shifts at work; I don't want to disturb neighbouring vehicles in the car park by running my engine; so I've fitted a USB powered fan, I'm now looking at Diesel parking heaters in preparation for winter, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StephenFord said:

that's the stock aerial connection that's been used by most manufactures for years....

three types

din - old silly thing 50's through to about 1998
ISO - what you have
fakra - used on anything modern since circa 2011 (or german since 2005)

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Fakra-Z-Female-to-ISO-male

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have just installed my powered DAB splitter - it's pants! I thought it may have been a 'snake oil' solution, absolutely no difference whatsoever to the passive windscreen mounted aerial. I guess I'm destined to just listening to a signal that sounds as if it was created in a hollow bath drain 🙁 Shame, I had such high hopes...

1905356621_adapterandsplitter.thumb.jpg.ebff8c6c2d17ad2d029d2373db582fc6.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club