Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reuse cambelt and cambelt tensioner?

Arkhangelsk1989

Hello, I have a leaking waterpump that was only done 7 months ago along with the cambelt and tensioner. Would it be alright too only replace the water pump and reuse the tensioner and belt? 

Only reason I am asking is because the tensioner for the cambelt is attached too the waterpump on my car (Ford fiesta mk6 2007 zetec s 1.6 petrol). 

Any help is appreciated 

Cheers

If it was only replaced a couple months back and isn't some cheap rubbish then you only need to change the gasket.

Pointless replacing cambelt and tensioner too tbh. Unfortunately the cost won't be much cheaper than a full cambelt and waterpump replacement. It's the labour that mostly costs.

• Thanks 1

Hello, the waterpump is leaking around the actual pulley so the pump is knackered. 

It's under warranty so will be replaced free of charge. The cambelt is a Dayco one with an INA tensioner and waterpump. 

I have only done about 1500 miles since it was replaced. 

That's unlucky to have the gland leak after that time. I can understand poorly fitted gaskets but rare for glands to leak like that.

The garage won't change the belt and tensioner if the leak is done under warranty.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

That's unlucky to have the gland leak after that time. I can understand poorly fitted gaskets but rare for glands to leak like that.

The garage won't change the belt and tensioner if the leak is done under warranty.

Yeah, I noticed white coolant splatter under the bonnet that ran in line with the alternator belt and I got underneath the car and could see coolant dripping from the bottom of the pulley. 

Got it into a local garage for a quick inspection and they said it was slowly leaking from the waterpump and it will only get worse if I leave it. 

Just making sure that it's alright to reuse the tensioner and cambelt. Don't fancy having that snap 🤯

If the garage have done a few Zetec waterpumps, they'll have the tool to hold tension on the cambelt to save removing the whole lot.  Cuts down on labour massively and means there's no need to replace the belt at the same time.  

Having said that, if the coolant has contaminated the cambelt, I'd replace it to be on the safe side tbh.

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If the garage have done a few Zetec waterpumps, they'll have the tool to hold tension on the cambelt to save removing the whole lot.  Cuts down on labour massively and means there's no need to replace the belt at the same time.  

Having said that, if the coolant has contaminated the cambelt, I'd replace it to be on the safe side tbh.

I don't think any coolant has gone onto the cambelt as its covered by the plastic shields. It has been leaking onto the alternator belt which I will replace anyway. 

Don't really fancy changing anymore than I have too tbh as the belt and tensioner was only done 7 months ago. 

Cheers for the reply 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, TomsFocus said:

Hello mate, just a quick question. When I accelerate from low rpm in mainly 2nd or 3rd gear, the car makes a chirp sound for a second or 2 untill the revs have gone about around 2500 rpm or so. It doesn't make any noise when idling or revving while it stationary. It only makes the noise when driving and has been doing if for ages but it's never gotten worse. Any ideas? Could it be the bearing in the waterpump because it leaking or could it be a bad timing belt tensioner? 

Cheers 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

Hello mate, just a quick question. When I accelerate from low rpm in mainly 2nd or 3rd gear, the car makes a chirp sound for a second or 2 untill the revs have gone about around 2500 rpm or so. It doesn't make any noise when idling or revving while it stationary. It only makes the noise when driving and has been doing if for ages but it's never gotten worse. Any ideas? Could it be the bearing in the waterpump because it leaking or could it be a bad timing belt tensioner? 

Cheers 👍🏻

Could just be a damp aux belt slipping?  If not, could be any of the pulleys or tensioners on that side, not helpful I know lol. 

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Could just be a damp aux belt slipping?  If not, could be any of the pulleys or tensioners on that side, not helpful I know lol. 

Cheers for the reply 😁🤣👍🏻 The waterpump has only recently began leaking so not sure about it being the belt being wet. Its done it since owning it which was October last year. It only happens when accelerating from low rpm and lasts for a second or two. I haven't noticed any problems in regards too driving the car and the noise never occurs at any other point. I will get the water pump replaced and see if that's what was making the noise but if not then I will just live with it 👍🏻🤣

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club