Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot 12v socket

GeoffGeoff

How much should I expect to pay to have a 12v socket installed in the boot of a 2010 mk4 Mondeo 1.8tdci Titanium ?  I had one in my previous c max and found it very useful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeoffGeoff said:

How much should I expect to pay to have a 12v socket installed in the boot of a 2010 mk4 Mondeo 1.8tdci Titanium ?  I had one in my previous c max and found it very useful.

Have you checked to see if there is a loom there already?  

Some models have the loom already fitted where ford then add a 12v socket to allow the use of a foam tyre compressor?  

Automotive electricians can charge copious amounts for small jobs which is the reason I began to get educated and do my own guides:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeoffGeoff said:

Also see here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/88750-titanium-x-rear-power-socket/ 

Similar to my guide on the focus: Guide to Fitting additional 12v Socket in Boot of Focus Click Here 

You may already have the loom fitted, 

I have a 3 way 12v / 2 way usb socket that I usually plug into a 12v socket. Can I just cut off the 12v plug and wire that directly to the orange wire & earth or will that cause a problem? Thankyou. Intent would then be to have 3 x 12v sockets and 2 x usb sockets available in the boot

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeoffGeoff said:

I have a 3 way 12v / 2 way usb socket that I usually plug into a 12v socket. Can I just cut off the 12v plug and wire that directly to the orange wire & earth or will that cause a problem? Thankyou. Intent would then be to have 3 x 12v sockets and 2 x usb sockets available in the boot

Theres a glass fuse inside the 12V plug, which you would ofcourse lose in the process which could allow a surge in your usb power socket which in turn could damage equipment or worse case ignite, 

You could fit an inline fuse to overcome this potential issue,

Theres two options really; 

Fit a 12v socket to the orange loom plug and add an earth, then hose the 12v socket and plug inside the boot panel, 

Or 

Cut the 12v plug off, crimp in an inline fuse then what I would do in this case is crimp on a male spade connector and plug it in to the existing orange plug, this way the factory loom is untouched and more future compatible; easy to unplug and replace the unit or anything without cutting cables and insulating afterwards. 🤷‍♂️

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club