Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can somebody tell me what this block is in the front bottom bumper? Mk8 Fiesta

aydamstoidy

I've seen this on a few MK8s and always assumed it was the radar for adaptive cruise control but majority I've seen online only have the speed limiter. I noticed in the ST this rectangle block isn't there so I'm just interested in what it is.

SmartSelect_20200722-165513_Google.jpg

It is for the radar.

But you might find Ford use the grille on all cars, regardless of whether there is actually a radar fitted.

• Like 1

I thought it was for the forward collision avoidance (emergency braking) system? Pretty sure from the discussions here that the adaptive cruise is actually camera based? But could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Daggerit said:

I thought it was for the forward collision avoidance (emergency braking) system? Pretty sure from the discussions here that the adaptive cruise is actually camera based? But could be wrong.

Adaptive cruise is radar based.

Collision avoidance uses combinations of camera, lidar and radar, depending on what equipment is fitted.

Afaik, forward collision avoidance uses the radar if it's fitted, otherwise relies just on the sensors on the windscreen if not.

Adaptive cruise is radar based.
Collision avoidance uses combinations of camera, lidar and radar, depending on what equipment is fitted.
Afaik, forward collision avoidance uses the radar if it's fitted, otherwise relies just on the sensors on the windscreen if not.

Interesting. My wife’s current and previous cars have only got a radar like this and no cameras and both have/had the forward collision avoidance.

My previous car used a combo for sure because it could detect pedestrians and cyclists on the road separately.

Every time I ask something on this forum I always get an answer and it always ends up being a discussion amongst others 😂 thanks for your help guys

• Like 1

While I'm on this, can someone explain the Sync 3 differences I've noticed? On some models the Nav button is an arrow, on other's its a 4 sided star almost? I'm assuming one of these is an older version of sync. 

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to start a new thread so revived this one. 

Where is the square located on the ST model as I've bought a lower ST grill for my ST Line?

43 minutes ago, Scottyghia said:

Where is the square located on the ST model

See picture at the top of this thread

That's an ST Line. The ST has the honeycomb grill. 

Looking further into it, the ST doesn't have this radar.