Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start stop function

Natalie68

I purchased my Ford Focus 6 years ago and had a button with an A and semi circle which had a red light constant and did not do anything.  Yesterday the car battery died so I went to Halfords for them to replace.  They told me I had a start stop car and this was the button that had never worked.  I told them I never knew I had it and it had never worked.  They said I would need a different battery if it was start stop and fitted the battery for me.  (I am a women so trust that this is correct) The button for start stop can now be turned on/off although has not worked yet.  I then looked at my receipt and realised that they have not put a start stop battery in my car and I am concerned that the normal battery is not the correct one for my car.  Grateful for any opinions thanks

Halfords were right, a car with Stop/Start functionality will have a different battery to the same car without that functionality. Basically they're more heavy duty to cope with the constant need to re-start the car.

I don't think the receipt would specifically mention stop/start, they just have part numbers on them.

Batteries for cars with stop/start functionality are a lot more expensive than those without (something like 1.5 - 2 times the price of a non stop/start)

If ever you need anything for your car just to get an idea of prices take a look on the euro car parts website, pop your car registration number. They normally have discount codes plastered all over their site, use that and you could probably save a fair few quid in the future. They do click and collect, if there is one near you it's worth a look. Obviously then you'd have the problem of finding someone to fit that part for you.

• Like 1

Fords generally use EFB Stop/Start batteries, though some use AGM (a higher capacity and longer duty cycle) in some higher spec'd models. So it should be fairly easy to check the battery model number in a search engine to confirm the type. If you have neither of these types then you need to get Halfords to replace it.

• Like 1

Post pictures of the new battery and also the "Start/Stop" button, and we can let you know what you have/need. Are you saying that the button can now be turned off/on, whereas it couldn't before the new battery was fitted?

• Like 1

On your dash board   display , on the bottom right corner  have you got a (a with half a circle around it) grayed  out  with a lightning bolt through it? 

Sometimes it takes a while for the battery to get charged  to the point that start/stop works 

Hello

Connected question ....

Since the start of lockdown, start / stop on my 2018 MK5 Mondeo has not been working. Local Ford dealer has told me would be because battery not charged as car not being driven.

Been driving the car pretty normally for the past 3 weeks and in last few days as a for instance have done about 200 miles. Green symbol comes on when stopped, but engine doesn't turn off.

How charged does the battery need to be and is there anyway of telling how charged the battery is ?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Russell Saunders said:

Hello

Connected question ....

Since the start of lockdown, start / stop on my 2018 MK5 Mondeo has not been working. Local Ford dealer has told me would be because battery not charged as car not being driven.

Been driving the car pretty normally for the past 3 weeks and in last few days as a for instance have done about 200 miles. Green symbol comes on when stopped, but engine doesn't turn off.

How charged does the battery need to be and is there anyway of telling how charged the battery is ?

Thanks

I don't know about the Mondeo but on my Focus the State of Charge needs to be above 68%, which is not as low as it  sounds because the Smart Charging only charges the battery to a maximum of 80%. 

There are lots of other reasons for S/Stop not to activate at any time and these are reasons, not faults. I have also read that if you bring S/Stop up in your settings when it does not activate it may tell you why it has not been activated.

The only way that I know of to get a live readout of State of Charge is to have FORScan connected to your car when you are driving. There are also about 20, maybe more PID's listed for my car as to why S/Stop has not activated and these could be monitored too if you were concerned. Personally I switch mine off when I remember to. 

14 hours ago, Tizer said:

I don't know about the Mondeo but on my Focus the State of Charge needs to be above 68%, which is not as low as it  sounds because the Smart Charging only charges the Battery to a maximum of 80%. 

There are lots of other reasons for S/Stop not to activate at any time and these are reasons, not faults. I have also read that if you bring S/Stop up in your settings when it does not activate it may tell you why it has not been activated.

The only way that I know of to get a live readout of State of Charge is to have FORScan connected to your car when you are driving. There are also about 20, maybe more PID's listed for my car as to why S/Stop has not activated and these could be monitored too if you were concerned. Personally I switch mine off when I remember to. 

Thanks Tizer.

Methinks another trip to the dealer is coming up.

Regards

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club