Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Green gear change indicator arrows... rubbish??

Curtino

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I’ve not long had my Focus 1.5 TDCi Ztec and noticed it’s got green arrow indicators telling you when to change gear. It’s telling me to use 6th gear at around 45/50mph and when I do this the car starts juddering like it’s going too stall?🤨 are these indicators rubbish? Even so the car shouldn’t be struggling surely, especially if it’s literally asking for that gear?😂

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Yes it can be a bit of a pain sometimes incorrectly wanting a gear change. Sometimes it is useful if you forget to go up a gear.

You can always turn it off if you want.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

I can normally manage 6th gear above 45, below that it's 5th gear for between 35-45. I don't get the change gear until it hits around 45-50 for the 6th gear. I've got the 120 version of the engine if that's any use.

8 minutes ago, TitXlover said:

If I has that system on my car, that's what I would do, turn the darn thing off!! I passed my test 40 years ago, and can actually judge all by myself when to change gear ☺️

• Like 1

On the flat and downhill it will take it but it cant read the road ahead either.

Im finding that the gearing is different in the MK4 from the MK 3.

In the MK 3 I was changing around  @2000 revs but in the MK 4 its nearer 2500 which might be the reason its not as economical.

24 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

I can normally manage 6th gear above 45, below that it's 5th gear for between 35-45. I don't get the change gear until it hits around 45-50 for the 6th gear. I've got the 120 version of the engine if that's any use.

I also get the car asking for a gear change to 6th at 45/50 but when I change it feels like the car is labouring a lot I can literally feel it shaking so drop it back down to 5th

27 minutes ago, TitXlover said:

Can’t find anything in the menus to get rid of it☹️

Got this on my Mk3 ST, turned it off via forscan. Wanting me to do 40mph in 6th [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, Monks600 said:

Got this on my Mk3 ST, turned it off via forscan. Wanting me to do 40mph in 6th emoji23.png

It’s madness! I understand it’s for more economical driving but it literally feels like I’m driving with an elephant in the back if I follow the indicators🤨

The point in which it’s asking to change up is far too low it seems 

It’s madness! I understand it’s for more economical driving but it literally feels like I’m driving with an elephant in the back if I follow the indicators[emoji2955]

The point in which it’s asking to change up is far too low it seems 

Yup!

I tried it when I first got the car and it felt like I was about to stall the engine every time I tried to follow the gear indicator. Most useless feature I’ve ever seen... it wouldn’t be so useless if you could actually change at what point the light would come on. The factory default is just daft!

23 minutes ago, Wino said:

On the flat and downhill it will take it but it cant read the road ahead either.

Even on flat roads at 50mph I’m getting a lot off juddering/shaking when I’m in 6th

• Like 1

It is an utterly pointless and potentially damaging piece of crap mandated by the EU.  Ignore it, put a bit of black tape over it.

Wretched thing, you can't turn off officially, you have to code it.

• Like 3

It is an utterly pointless and potentially damaging piece of crap mandated by the EU.  Ignore it, put a bit of black tape over it.

Wretched thing.

Agreed, at that point I may as well follow the indicator to the tee and put it in 6th gear whilst doing 40mph and hope my turbo doesn’t explode when I give it some beans hahahaha.

Joking apart, has anyone figured out in forscan whether or not you can adjust the indicators values? Like when it would kick in and what not?

Like 99% of all these driver aids I think fine, let those who want it have it, just give me the choice not to. 

• Like 1

Like 99% of all these driver aids I think fine, let those who want it have it, just give me the choice not to. 

Agreed! Would be nice if you could just turn them off in a menu rather than having to crack open the OBD cable and laptop!

12 hours ago, Curtino said:

I understand it’s for more economical driving

I'm not sure it's even that. I've noticed on my EcoBoost that the instantaneous mpg figure is no different in 5th than in 6th. This is probably due to the fact that the lower gear only needs a smaller throttle opening.

Yes, a higher gear does not automatically mean better mpg.

In our 1.0 100 Ecoboost we find that at speed it will struggle to accelerate from under 1500rpm.

the car knows what to do to get the best economy and lowest emissions... and the lights are 100% correct in informing you how to achieve this

the issue lies with humans.  Few people can drive.  if you put it in 6th like you are told ….. you then need a different gear IF you wish to accelerate, go up a hill of are battling at 60mph head wind

people inherently accelerate wasting fuel and throwing out unnecessary emissions....   if people used cruise control to stop accelerating then unnecessarily braking most people would save 20% on fuel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well thank goodness all our roads are snooker table flat, with never an up or down.  Otherwise to religiously follow the lights we'd be changing gear on a constant basis.

• Like 2

Kinda agree with both Guy and Botus on this one. I do find the lights on my car indicate a point at which the engine will accept a higher gear provided you are on the flat or slight downhill and there are no bends or other hazards coming up. It is just a guide though and up to the driver to take account of other road conditions.

Similarly, I don't find cruise saves me any fuel compared to doing it myself, I use it to keep within the limit on certain stretches of road which I know are hunting grounds for camera vans. I suppose I could use the limiter but that wouldn't give my arthritic foot a rest like cruise does!😃

• Like 2

I just ignore it, in fact I'm not even sure when it comes on, cox im looking at the road.

Done this on my vauxhall astra telling me to shift gears (aye right) just ignore it at the end of the day its just more ***** car tech

5 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Well thank goodness all our roads are snooker table flat, with never an up or down.  Otherwise to religiously follow the lights we'd be changing gear on a constant basis.

which is why when you have grown up you buy an automatic...  as niki lauda said.... I know how to change gear, why do I want to do that

a gearbox is not a sign of masculinity, its a failure of the drive unit to produce enough torque across the entire speed range the vehicle is going to be used over

its like traction control and wheel spin.  That's a failure of the suspension system to manage weight distribution and thus grip at the wheel letting go - electronically turning off the engine isn't the answer

35 minutes ago, Botus said:

which is why when you have grown up you buy an automatic... 

Lol but I don't want to grow up!😃

35 minutes ago, Botus said:

a gearbox is not a sign of masculinity, its a failure

Certainly isn't - the Mrs prefers manual as well!

I do have an auto and I did have to smile when I saw that if I drive it in "manual" mode it also displays the shift light.

It's no biggie though as like 99% of us with paddle shifters I've used them probably twice in a year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club