Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen VIN differs from Chassis VIN

MistysDad

I have just discovered a worrying situation with my grey 2017 Diesel Focus Titanium X, bought in 2019 from a respectable Ford Main Dealer.

It has had it's first full service, including the Powershift oil Change and it's going really well. All the paperwork, online service report, roadside recovery etc is in order.

I have just noticed that the VIN reported on all the documents, and on the chassis, differs from the one displayed in the windscreen. The windscreen VIN (as attached) relates to a black Volkswagen, which, when I checked, is taxed, tested and not reported stolen. The index plate ends in *****.

Has anyone information about whether this is a common problem or do I need to check with the Police. I shall be ringing the dealer on Monday, that's for sure!

FCC31196-3EBB-4229-9B8C-25E8B0406107.jpeg

ECAC9E53-C528-499B-8441-D1E92E517AD5.png

That vin isn't even a Ford format, they usually start with WF0.

I would in the first instance contact the dealership and if no joy then DVLA and your local Police force.

Be prepared though that if that vin is fraudulent then the car may be taken away from you pending enquiries.

It may be that some previous owner has hidden the correct vin in order to avoid paying tax & insurance in conjunction with a ringer plate but forgot to remove the modified vin on sale.

Does the vin tag look like it might slide out or is it properly bonded to the screen?

I'd definitely be concerned. You can clearly see that the windscreen VIN plate has the VW logo behind it on the back plate. It has definitely been tampered with. 
How a main Ford dealer did not pick up on that when doing checks shows that they obviously don't check that all VIN plates and documentation matches. 
As Clive said, contact the dealer who sold you the car but then notify DVLA and the police. This will probably mean you lose access to the vehicle until it has been examined and determined if any offences have been recorded against the vehicle. 
You could lose the vehicle entirely unfortunately if an insurance company or finance company recovers it. 

I'd ignore it...  Presumably the other VINs and plate all match?  Someone's just messed up fitting a new windscreen, the VW probably has your VIN on it!

The vin is attached the the steel crash bar the sits directly under the top of the dash and not affixed to the windscreen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meta55 said:

The vin is attached the the steel crash bar the sits directly under the top of the dash and not affixed to the windscreen. 

Yeah I was going to say this. The windscreen just provides a clear “hole” to show the VIN underneath. It’s not attached to the windscreen. 

To the OP I assume the windscreen is not an original ford logo one? I can’t see how else they could have got to it, unless the dash on the car has been out. 

It's not attached to anything on VW's at least, it's just loose under there.  If you're in a windscreen shop with two VIN tags that have dropped on the floor, it's easy to put them back in the wrong place.  They're often off centre on replacement screens too.

I've had windscreens replaced on both Mondeos and Focus and VIN was fixed to car . In fact I think on Mondeo it was riveted in place.

Can you not read the VIN via the OBD Port ?  I'm sure I have done that on my 2007 Fiesta, so hopefully that should agree with the paperwork.  You should be able to do that without involving dealer or Police.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club