Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 Ford fiesta zetec 1.4 threaded core plug help

ItzMozzby

Hi guys and gals,

Sorry if this has already been posted but I'm in such a hurry to try and get this beauty up and running smoothly again.

Long story is she is miss firing in cylinder 4 (replaced all 4 plugs and leads) which ran great for a while but happened again so opened rocker and had a closer look and found there to be alot of surface rust and water or coolant on the right segment of the head. I've been informed its the core plugs and "bung" but it seems to be 19mm socket bolt instead of the normal threaded core plug along with that a 25mm core plug, so I'm not sure if this is a bodge job or I'm looking for the wrong parts. This is on the right side the left side just has a single 25mm core plug by the looks of things.

Can someone please inform me of what parts I need and if possible some part numbers please?

Thank you so much in advance! 

That's a tough one!  Can you upload some pics. Have you tried youtube, plenty of info there. Also, consider unscrewing the core plug and wrapping the threads with plumbers tape.           Altho' this thread says Ford use Loctite 243 in the plants

http://www.dpaonthenet.net/article/53724/Core-plugs--bonded-or-threaded--it-s-the-seal-that-counts.aspx

5 hours ago, nicam49 said:

That's a tough one!  Can you upload some pics. Have you tried youtube, plenty of info there. Also, consider unscrewing the core plug and wrapping the threads with plumbers tape.           Altho' this thread says Ford use Loctite 243 in the plants

http://www.dpaonthenet.net/article/53724/Core-plugs--bonded-or-threaded--it-s-the-seal-that-counts.aspx

Thanks nicam, 

I'll give the loctite a go as I think the plumbers tape might not hold up with the heat of the engine? I really hope I don't crack the head when trying to remove this bolt as its really stuck in there, any advice with that I've had it swimming in wd40 and so far its not budging 

Thanks again

Sorry, got absolutely no experience. But don't use a 12-sided socket on it.! Use a 6-sided one.. Impact sockets are the way to go. Have you got a windy gun... probably haven't got the clearance unless the engine is out. 

Check youtube for some tips before taking a lump hammer to it. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve had a 63 plate one since 2015, still got it now. Was my first car I learnt to drive in - I’ve not got an ST but we still have the Zetec and I do enjoy driving that too.

You’ll find that these cars (Fiestas) are absolutely everywhere, there’s a reason for that - they’re great! Cheap to run - ours says average 42mpg over the time we’ve had it, it’s had zero issues of breaking down or anything like that. Only thing we’ve had to do on it other than regular servicing and MOT is new brakes a couple months ago, but Nox Vidmate VLC they’re consumables so that’s to expect on any car. It’s a small car, so not the best for backseat passengers but for two people it’s perfectly fine, easy to park  too and visibility is great.

They have heated windscreens as standard which is incredible for the winter months - you don’t realise how much you appreciate it until you jump in an icy car without it and wait ages for the front screen to defrost.

They handle really well, and are much more enjoyable to drive compared to the likes of a Corsa and polo.

Bit random sticking it on this thread?! 🤔

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club