Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs

MrBee

Just took these out of my 66 plate 1L EcoBoost, cos I was not convinced the dealer had either done the 3Y change or the 37,500 change, I bought the car in May with 35,500 miles on it.

I thought they would have done it just to be sure, cos I asked them if they were going to do a service according to the schedule, and they said yes.

I recently hit 37,100 and decided to take it for a service cos I weren't convinced they had done that either despite them saying they had, and I asked for the plugs to be checked/changed, and the plugs have come out looking seriously rough.

The guy said they were really 'stuck in' and made a horrible noise on the way out like they were almost seized and were covered in white powdery stuff and rust.

He said they are likely the original ones and were never changed as they should have been on the 3rd Year service.

Should I be worried? What the heck is going on with these?

Thanks all.

IMG_20200726_114240.jpg

The electrodes look perfectly normal which is the main thing. Looks like water may have got in the spark plug wells and caused corrosion (thats what the white powder is you describe). 

Personally I use a little bit of anti-seize on the threads to make them easier to remove (helps prevent corrosion where it matters most). It's probably not recommended but I've never had any spark plug issues because of it. Just remember less is more when you apply it.

Thanks @Luke4efcthough Im not keen on the water thing...😮 . . .

Anyway, got new ones in now so will just see how it goes...

The water could've been caused by someone jetwashing the engine bay. I've also seen leaky windscreen washer jets cause it on some models.

Thanks @Luke4efcI never thought of that! Anyway, all seems good now, seems a bit less lumpy, but maybe thats the placebo effect...glad theyre done.

17 hours ago, MrBee said:

Im not keen on the water thing...😮 . . .

Might be worth thinking about an engine cover to keep water etc off? I put one on mine as I have to park under trees.

Available from Ford dealers, Pumaspeed and others.

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Genuine-Ford-10L-Ecoboost-Engine-Cover_17673.jsp

Needed a bit of trimming on the Mk 8 but I think it's a direct fit on the 7.5.

19 hours ago, MrBee said:

Just took these out of my 66 plate 1L EcoBoost, cos I was not convinced the dealer had either done the 3Y change or the 37,500 change, I bought the car in May with 35,500 miles on it.

I thought they would have done it just to be sure, cos I asked them if they were going to do a service according to the schedule, and they said yes.

I recently hit 37,100 and decided to take it for a service cos I weren't convinced they had done that either despite them saying they had, and I asked for the plugs to be checked/changed, and the plugs have come out looking seriously rough.

The guy said they were really 'stuck in' and made a horrible noise on the way out like they were almost seized and were covered in white powdery stuff and rust.

He said they are likely the original ones and were never changed as they should have been on the 3rd Year service.

Should I be worried? What the heck is going on with these?

Thanks all.

IMG_20200726_114240.jpg

Them plugs dont look good at first glance ,  but electrodes look ok, when i got my 65 plate car in 2018 i took for its 3rd service as i had some warrantry left , says on the bill plugs changed ! They prob was but who knows lol , anyway cars only done 18000 now, i get my  excellent mobile mechanic do any work on car now  and only take dealers when i really have too !  Also as eric mentioned the engine cover is a good idea .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club