Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice needed. CAT S, Ford Transit Connect L2, 2019

Robert-shetland

Hi all, 

Ive joined the forum today as i have just put a deposit down on a CAT S 2019 Connect L2, its in great condition, but seems all it had is a bump to the front end and superficial damage only. 

The videos and photos the garage has sent me are exhaustive and show all the parts are both original and clean, nothing out of place or bent etc, apart from the bumper which he showed me pictures of the original damage. 

Its hard to say but i think ive got a great deal, just wanted another opinion on it. 

Attached are a few photos, firstly of it as it is now, and another couple of photos of the damage. 

Screenshot_20200729_191742_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch.jpg

Screenshot_20200729_191731_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch.jpg

Screenshot_20200729_191733_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch.jpg

And now here is a damaged photo

Screenshot_20200728_231335_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_20200728_231341_com.whatsapp.jpg

Here are links to my dropbox also, links to 2 short videos of the front end. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpx80huxorb9bga/VID-20200729-WA0001.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3hifj76j7xanhl/VID-20200729-WA0002.mp4?dl=0

Thanks in advance

The problem is no matter how light the damage was, it's still been recorded as damaged structurally and is therefore worth exactly the same as every other CAT S transit connect out there.

I don't believe for 1 minute that the little bumper damage is all there is. No way would a 1 year old van get wrote off for that. Did the airbags get deployed or pre-tensioners activated?

Just seen the front numberplate is also bent. Make of that what you will...

48 minutes ago, Robert-shetland said:

And now here is a damaged photo

Screenshot_20200728_231335_com.whatsapp.jpg

2043063185_Screenshot_20200729_195334.jpg.7e2da3609bf3495dd391beb5a8c01c89(2).thumb.jpg.60f687659f5a644e7ba8e254987d43d2.jpg

I've just done some digging on this. notice how the first picture shows a plastic bumper at the bottom, and the bottom picture is fully painted white? Well at first I thought they'd just painted the whole bumper whilst doing the repair as it looks a lot better (it's an option at the factory), however I don't think that's the case now. I believe the pictures are 2 completely different vans.

I've searched the reg on ETIS and the spec for the van says "Front Bumper Body Coloured Plastic", meaning it came from the factory painted white rather than left plastic. To make sure, I searched a random van from auto-trader that said "Front Bumper Plastic".
What that means is the van adverted came with the white bumper from the factory, so the picture of the supposed damage cannot be from the same van.

Hope I explained that well lol.

Must add that ETIS isn't always 100% accurate, but it kind of makes sense in this scenario...

57 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The problem is no matter how light the damage was, it's still been recorded as damaged structurally and is therefore worth exactly the same as every other CAT S transit connect out there.

I don't believe for 1 minute that the little bumper damage is all there is. No way would a 1 year old van get wrote off for that. Did the airbags get deployed or pre-tensioners activated?

Just seen the front numberplate is also bent. Make of that what you will...

Not so bothered about resale value as it wi be a working van ill be keeping long term, prob 10 years, so just want to be sure itll be ok. 

30 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

2043063185_Screenshot_20200729_195334.jpg.7e2da3609bf3495dd391beb5a8c01c89(2).thumb.jpg.60f687659f5a644e7ba8e254987d43d2.jpg

I've just done some digging on this. notice how the first picture shows a plastic bumper at the bottom, and the bottom picture is fully painted white? Well at first I thought they'd just painted the whole bumper whilst doing the repair as it looks a lot better (it's an option at the factory), however I don't think that's the case now. I believe the pictures are 2 completely different vans.

I've searched the reg on ETIS and the spec for the van says "Front Bumper Body Coloured Plastic", meaning it came from the factory painted white rather than left plastic. To make sure, I searched a random van from auto-trader that said "Front Bumper Plastic".
What that means is the van adverted came with the white bumper from the factory, so the picture of the supposed damage cannot be from the same van.

Hope I explained that well lol.

Must add that ETIS isn't always 100% accurate, but it kind of makes sense in this scenario...

The seller says the bottom part of the bumper was replaced and color coded and the top part was repaired. 

Just had a look onlune and the bumper can be bought in two parts. Bottom and top

No airbags went off, did you watch the videos i put the links up for? 

1 minute ago, Robert-shetland said:

The seller says the bottom part of the bumper was replaced and color coded and the top part was repaired. 

Just had a look onlune and the bumper can be bought in two parts. Bottom and top

No airbags went off, did you watch the videos i put the links up for? 

Yes I watched them. They don't show much about anything you should actually care about (chassis damage or warning lights).

What I was trying to say is that that van came with a colour coded lower bumper from the factory. The picture above shows damage to bumper with a plain plastic lower half.

If you don't care about resale value then fair enough. What you should care about is the fact the damage is probably worse than what's being described and something seems a little off to me. Personally I'd walk away, transit connects are common as mud (especially 2-3 year old ex-leases)

9 minutes ago, Robert-shetland said:

Not so bothered about resale value as it wi be a working van ill be keeping long term, prob 10 years, so just want to be sure itll be ok. 

Heres a more zoomed out picture with the new bottom part on the bumper

Screenshot_20200729_211656_com.whatsapp.jpg

3 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Yes I watched them. They don't show much about anything you should actually care about (chassis damage or warning lights).

What I was trying to say is that that van came with a colour coded lower bumper from the factory. The picture above shows damage to bumper with a plain plastic lower half.

If you don't care about resale value then fair enough. What you should care about is the fact the damage is probably worse than what's being described and something seems a little off to me. Personally I'd walk away, transit connects are common as mud (especially 2-3 year old ex-leases)

Maybe your right, not sure what to do now ive paid a non refundable deposit

A CAT S from that? I know they write cars off over nothing nowadays, but that seems extreme

Just now, Robert-shetland said:

Maybe your right, not sure what to do now ive paid a non refundable deposit

If you've been and seen it and it all looks straight then fair enough. Otherwise you're very brave for giving out non-refundable deposits lol.

2 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

A CAT S from that? I know they write cars off over nothing nowadays, but that seems extreme

If you've been and seen it and it all looks straight then fair enough. Otherwise you're very brave for giving out non-refundable deposits lol.

Hes sent me about 8 or 9 videos inside and out, all HD, ive looked at them all on big screen and everything i can see in all of them looks right, he has plenty good reviews and sounds honest enough as well. So i gave the deposit based on all of that

11 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

U think ive made a mistake? 

Jumped the gun a little maybe, hopefully you get lucky and everything's alright. Best bet is just go look at it with an open mind and make sure the chassis isn't bent lol.

7 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Jumped the gun a little maybe, hopefully you get lucky and everything's alright. Best bet is just go look at it with an open mind and make sure the chassis isn't bent lol.

The problem there is, im at the top of scltland and he is in London area😪😪

Yeh that's never really a good idea. Can never really tell the condition of something until you go and see and test drive it. It may look nice but for all you know the suspension has been bodged and therefore handles like an elephant trying to ice skate...

Surely there's a transit connect being sold near to you?

Just remember if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

11 hours ago, Robert-shetland said:

Might as well get a legit van 

it will save so much headache 

The S in cat S stands for structural.  There's no way that little bumper crack is what caused the Cat S.  Something must have been broken behind it...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 10:30 AM, TomsFocus said:

The S in cat S stands for structural.  There's no way that little bumper crack is what caused the Cat S.  Something must have been broken behind it...

Yes

it could be taken off the road if it is to bad

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club