Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS

Cameron247

Hi there I’m new on here I e got a 17 plate fiesta Zetec since I’ve owned the car the gps hardly ever works I took it back to ford and all the said was ok it’s probably the satellites not over head and maybe have some dust on the memory card any help would be greatly apreciated thank you in advance

2 hours ago, Cameron247 said:

Hi there I’m new on here I e got a 17 plate fiesta Zetec since I’ve owned the car the gps hardly ever works I took it back to ford and all the said was ok it’s probably the satellites not over head and maybe have some dust on the memory card any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

They are talking rubbish.   I have a 17 plate Fiesta too and GPS works absolutely fine.

In the UK you would normally receive anything up to 10 or more satellites to triangulate the position and you should be able to see them in the radio unit sub menu.The memory card only provides the map data . Your problem is likely a GPS antenna fault. 

Sounds to me like you have the newer MK8 fiesta?

If so this is a known fault and it's documented on these forums, go back to the dealer and force then to fix it, it's a hardware fault somewhere and bits need to be replaced...

• Like 1

Early Mk8 fiestas were riddled and still are riddled with SatNav issues.

The Mrs has a very early St Line X and the SatNav has never worked correctly. 

Ford tried and tried and never fixed it.

My 2019 StLx has no issues with SatNav whatsoever.

Thankfully her car will be changed later this year.

There is a huge thread from back to that time somewhere on here if you search for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Early Mk8 fiestas were riddled and still are riddled with SatNav issues.

As mentioned in other threads, my early GPS reception issues have largely vanished over time. I have mentioned it every time the car has been in the dealers but they could never replicate the issue so afaik nothing has actually been changed. All very odd. Although I don't bother much with the Sat nav I find the TSR useful so it's nice that it works now (mostly!)

And this morning I was driving in the South Lakes and got a verbal "caution!" from the system which had correctly located 2 fixed cameras - first time it's ever happened in over 2 years!😀

• Like 1

Try Switching off connect to WiFi networks and updates via WiFi  options and the issue should go away

13 hours ago, cjay1 said:

Try Switching off connect to WiFi networks and updates via WiFi  options and the issue should go away

Depending on the age of the car ... The issue does not go away!

• Like 1

Oh didn't know that. All I can say it worked on a 66 plate galaxy sync 3

9 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Depending on the age of the car ... The issue does not go away!

Yeah, tried this when I was having problems, to no effect. As mentioned above, it's been working ok for the past 18 months or so but both "connect to wi-fi" and "updates via wi-fi" options have been "on" during that time, and still are!

Mind you, anything's worth a try!😀

• Like 1

My Fiesta is a March 2017 Titanium and, while the sat nav works ok, since I saw this thread I've been wondering where the map card goes.   Blowed if I can find it.   Can someone enlighten me please.

Yep, it was the Mk8, 2017 fiestas and 2018 first models of the fiesta stlx that had the issues. I believe this issue was also there in the focus and probably other models.

My 2017 Mk7.5 st line was absolutely fine.

2 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

It is at the top of the screen (sat nav screen). You should just be able to see it sat proud. Press it and it should pop out towards you.

I am presuming it is the same as my mk7.5 when I had it.

Thanks Martin.   I couldn't see it probably because of bright sun and it's in deep shadow.   I felt around and found it.   It says Western Europe on it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah, tried this when I was having problems, to no effect. As mentioned above, it's been working ok for the past 18 months or so but both "connect to wi-fi" and "updates via wi-fi" options have been "on" during that time, and still are!

Mind you, anything's worth a try!😀

the fix will only work on next vehicle restart after switching off wifi settings as sync needs to fully shutdown and startup. the system can go many months without gps loss with wifi turned on before it starts playing up.

If you want to test it to see if it's not working, go to a wide open space somewhere and park, preferably about 10-20 minutes away. Before you go, switch your phone off (or put GPS off). When you get to the new location, put your phone back on. By doing this, you are forcing the phone to find the new position from scratch.  If you get a reading on your phone and the map position is accurate, but the one on your car isn’t then you can probably say it's the car GPS and not the location or weather that is causing a problem. Your phone may take a few minutes to get a fix, so give it time.

My Garmin GPS works ok, but when going to a new country it gets confused as hell (I once took it to Italy in hand luggage to save the 100e cost to rent one). It took about 15 minutes to find where I was, which was annoying when having to take junctions on motorways. 

GPS can really suck, sadly I sometimes I have to use it for work - not related to cars.

You may want to record or get evidence of the above to annoy your dealer.