Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Non-starter - P242F/U1900/Engine Systems Fault - where next?

MarkG_M5Comp

Replacement injectors in, I now have decent/high fuel rail pressure when cranking - anywhere between 22kpa and 28kpa.

However the car doesn’t start.

No errors, cranking at 220rpm and wants to fire but a couple of times the red arrows appeared on the dash (max engine revs?) so I’m tempted to replace the crank sensor.

Also think there’s fuel leaking around a couple of injectors so need to check on that. 

I’ll bolt on the DPF etc tomorrow so it’s complete and then start praying!

That fuel pressure is still too low, diesels need at least 200bar+ to start. Try spraying a little bit of brake cleaner or easy start in the intake just to see if it runs. I'm wondering if something's reading wrong? 🤔

I have 200 bar now and thought that was enough but you’re right, more research shows 200kpa or 2000 bar seems to be needed!

Diesel is new to me, I’m guessing there are potential leaks impacting this so I’ll keep looking.

1 minute ago, MarkG_M5Comp said:

I have 200 bar now and thought that was enough but you’re right, more research shows 200kpa or 2000 bar seems to be needed!

Diesel is new to me, I’m guessing there are potential leaks impacting this so I’ll keep looking.

200 bar is correct for cranking - this converts to 20,000kpa.

Give it a decent long crank to bleed the new injectors through - bursts of 20 seconds or so.

The car is running....

...like a dog! 😂

I have clouds of smoke which is a mixture of colours - partly the crap I cleaned the DPF with I suspect but also a fair about of thick white smoke. 
Also feels/sounds like it’s running on 3 cylinders so I may have an issue with an injector or something still.

i think it just set of the neighbour’s smoke detectors so I’m going to run and hide now!!

• Haha 2

Make sure your leak off pipes aren't leaking diesel and give it a few revs to clear it out and get the fuel pressure up

• Like 1

So cylinder 2 refuses to run.

I've swapped the injectors over and the fault stays with cylinder 2 so at least my injectors are good. The small green leak pipe seal was split when I removed it so I replaced again but I split that one - I think they may be too big (amazon part) so I'll pick up some genuine ones and fit them.

I have no error messages but disconnecting the injector power/signal has no affect on number 2 - but it does trigger an open circuit fault, so the wiring must surely be OK. Fuel is very clearly present at the injector too.

Either there is a leak pipe leak or cylinder 2 wont run due to a compression failure perhaps.

Also, I believe my smoke is a result of the DPF clean as it only starts to get crazy when the engine is hot - I need to get the misfire sorted than park in the middle of nowhere to run a DPF regen!

• Leak pipe seal replaced
  • Injector sealing surface recut and cleaned
  • Another new copper seal
  • Still not firing on cylinder 2!

I've re-run the DPF learning values and a static regen which fails with P2002 9DPF efficiency) and throws a P1388 (glow plug control module voltage) which seems like an odd one. The signal is below threshold. Attempting the regent 4 times has at least blow the smoke out of the DPF with the exhaust now running clear - so that was at least down top the crap left in the system by the cleaning products.

So I'll look at the relay and wiring, and if I must the glowplugs. 

Still no further forward on my cylinder 2 refusing to run! 🤔

Hmmmm I'd ignore the glow plug one for now, don't think that will interfere with running. 

The DPF efficiency code could be a faulty DPF pressure sensor they are quite common for playing up. 

As for injector 2 I have no idea, bit of pain but I'd swap 1 and 2 over and see if the fault moves, at least you'll know if it's the injector or not (I know you got new ones but could be faulty) 

Thank you....

I’ve done the injector swap already and the fault stays with the cylinder - hence grinding the sealing surface as I assumed it could be a bad seal (no compression). I suppose it could be a piston ring causing poor compression on one cylinder however I’m surprised it doesn’t kick in at all, even at high revs. Haven’t seen and blue smoke yet either. 

I’m going to recheck the sensor pipes - realised I didn’t replace the jubilee clips where it attaches to the DPF so I could have a leak.

I read somewhere here that glow plugs are used for emissions control but as you say, surely that would prevent one cylinder running especially when hot. 

I suspect the injector loom for the cylinder 2 fault.  They used to be quite common but haven't seen one for a while now.  Glowplug faults will cause regen to fail on these, but as you say, even one cylinder down would warm up quickly and clear a misfire.  Compression test isn't a bad idea though...with the state of the old injectors, it might be considerably more worn than we'd expect for the mileage.

P1388 doesn't appear to be anything to do with glowplugs btw.  Was that on Forscan or the generic scanner?

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I suspect the injector loom for the cylinder 2 fault.  They used to be quite common but haven't seen one for a while now.  Glowplug faults will cause regen to fail on these, but as you say, even one cylinder down would warm up quickly and clear a misfire.  Compression test isn't a bad idea though...with the state of the old injectors, it might be considerably more worn than we'd expect for the mileage.

P1388 doesn't appear to be anything to do with glowplugs btw.  Was that on Forscan or the generic scanner?

Oh really? It's just like it could be wiring however I mistakenly assumed that couldn't be a thing. Where do they tend to break? I'll do some tracing at the weekend.

The code was with Forscan but now I've re-read with my glasses on I see it's P138😂 

I flip between just selling it on as is and persevering to get it sorted as the car is in great condition... I sold my MX-5 yesterday so bought a Z4 'unseen' -  I really do need help with my addiction to cars.

There's a bend in the loom just before the injector plugs where the wires can chafe together.  By now I'm sure there are other weak points as well though.  I think it's a complete engine loom on these, some 1.6TDCi's split the injectors and glowplugs from the rest of the sensors which makes fault finding easier!  There is also the potential for it to be a faulty injector driver within the PCM but hopefully it's not that.

Haha, yes, I see the correct code now. :biggrin:  Not a common one tbf.  Have you tested the plugs and voltage to them?  This thread is getting so long I can't remember what has and hasn't been done now lol.

Car addiction is safer than other addictions in fairness!  :wink: 

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I can see no issue with any of the loom having pulled most of it out! The glowplugs look a little aged and I've read that the relay can also fail at this sort of age. 

I've had time off to work on my lasted project (the Z4) - and finished the suspension/brakes/wheels and a whole host of other stuff so back to the Focus....!

Given the error messages, I'm going to replace both the plugs and relay - but where the hell is the relay?! I can't find it for the life of me. Can anyone tell me definitively where it's located (ideally with a picture) in a 2007 1.6 TDCI?

CB9CF486-C35F-4A58-8A26-856316ED376E.JPG

• Like 1

Z4 is looking good!  (Bonus points for the Fiesta in the background too lol)

Glow plug relay was one of the small relays in the engine fusebox on mine, it was a 2008 facelift though so they may have moved it.  

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Z4 is looking good!  (Bonus points for the Fiesta in the background too lol)

Glow plug relay was one of the small relays in the engine fusebox on mine, it was a 2008 facelift though so they may have moved it.  

Thanks - I really like it actually. Drove it from Birmingham to Hampshire when I bought it before discovering both front springs had snapped 🙂

I think my relay is under the headlight somewhere - parts ordered - will give that a go at the weekend then....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Run out of time now - anyone want to buy my car? 🙂

IMG_2717.JPG

No thanks. You haven't exactly done a great job of promoting it.😭

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

No thanks. You haven't exactly done a great job of promoting it.😭

Haha - very true.

It's the nicest POS paperweight you'll find!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club