Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quite Happy With Mk4 (1.0 Ecoboost) MPG

CallMeSteven

Recently I have been doing twice weekly 60 mile round trips and I have seen the MPG increase to the figure below. Best I have had in any car.

Also Stop/Start is actually working all the time, which I found during shorter journeys rarey worked.

20200729_204154.jpg

• Like 2

Mines improved from 29mpg to 33 ! 
it’s a 1.5L . Cause of the Rona I’ve never yet done a long motorway journey! Best I had was resetting before motorway to the city and back, about 20miles ...managed high 40s mpg 😊

I originally wanted an Auto myself Alex, but was told there was a 18 week wait and the deal I got on my car included scrappage money for the old Ford. 

I achieved 56 mpg keeping speeds at a maximum (most of time) to around 60 mph. It's settled now at 56.1, but after each 60 mile round trip it still goes up .1 of a mpg 😉

• Like 1

It's wonderful that Ford have finally made a 1.0 petrol that can just about manage the same fuel economy as a 2.0 diesel from the 90's... :biggrin:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CallMeSteven said:

I originally wanted an Auto myself Alex, but was told there was a 18 week wait and the deal I got on my car included scrappage money for the old Ford. 

I achieved 56 mpg keeping speeds at a maximum (most of time) to around 60 mph. It's settled now at 56.1, but after each 60 mile round trip it still goes up .1 of a mpg 😉

Did you reset the average mpg recently? 

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's wonderful that Ford have finally made a 1.0 petrol that can just about manage the same fuel economy as a 2.0 diesel from the 90's... 

...and with considerably lower particulate and NOx emissions one supposes....:unsure:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Did you reset the average mpg recently? 

No. I reset it about two weeks after buying the car in December, so the 'long term' average is (I think) correct. Also doing a calculation of the petrol used I think it's correct.

I found that the the first few weeks of driving (in December) in average MPG displayed some silly figures (like 10 mpg, going up to 60 mpg!...but then settled down to around 40 mpg). 

The longer journeys for the last few months have shown stability with small incremental increases so looks like the mpg figure is right.

2 minutes ago, mjt said:

...and with considerably lower particulate and NOx emissions one supposes....:unsure:

Compared to 90s diesels yes, but compared to modern ones?  I wouldn't be so sure about that...  :g:

For the latest Euro 6 regs, particulate level limits are the same for both petrol and diesel.  NOx limits are slightly higher on diesels, but direct and stratified injection mean that running modern petrols in lean burn mode...such as 60mph cruising...are likely to be chucking out just as much NOx as a diesel engine. :unsure:  

• Like 1

I wasn't comparing with modern ones, and yes, I know that direct stratified injection does generate more NOx. At least most of us won't be cruising at 60mph in an urban environment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallMeSteven said:

so the 'long term' average is (I think) correct.

Makes your 56.1 even more impressive....the 1.5L is costing me a fortune in petrol. If I was buying now it’d be the 1L mild hybrid I’d go for..but it’d need to be an automatic. 

• Like 1

Must be the auto that's killing the consumption on the 1.5, or a heavy right foot!. My 1.5 manual has ~7000mls on the clock and an overall average currently showing of 46.6. I've never really done much town driving though, mostly rural main roads or motorway. It did get up to 47.0 until the last few months caused less use and more short shopping trips.

All in all, not far off what I used to get on my 2.0 180 diesel Mondeo, that was about 51 IIRC.

• Like 1

I couldn't go down in bhp I think, I am just hoping for the Focus full hybrid to come out and be decent.

For 1.5 mpg it was interesting that cruising at 70, 1750rpm gave excellent mpg, but cruising at a speed where the engine is over 2000rpm lowers it quite a lot.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, CallMeSteven said:

Recently I have been doing twice weekly 60 mile round trips and I have seen the MPG increase to the figure below. Best I have had in any car.

Also Stop/Start is actually working all the time, which I found during shorter journeys rarey worked.

20200729_204154.jpg

Thats exactly what our MK 4 1.5 diesel is currently on with mainly round town with the odd bit of dual carriageway thrown in. 

3 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

Must be the auto that's killing the consumption on the 1.5, or a heavy right foot!. My 1.5 manual has ~7000mls on the clock and an overall average currently showing of 46.6. I've never really done much town driving though, mostly rural main roads or motorway. It did get up to 47.0 until the last few months caused less use and more short shopping trips.

All in all, not far off what I used to get on my 2.0 180 diesel Mondeo, that was about 51 IIRC.

9000 miles I’m at. It’s the type of roads. My usual journeys are lights-roundabout-lights-roundabout etc...all in a few miles.

best I had was high 40s on motorway . Titanium has 150bhp ? 

I think the 182 used for long motorway journeys daily would be very economical. 
I forget what mpg Ford claimed but it’s probably not far off depending on circumstances. 

Yes, I find the type of journey makes a big difference.
Motorway high 40s but short journeys around 30 at best. 
Having said that I love the driving experience of my 1.5 auto.

I was looking at honest John website for mpg numbers. They have a pretty good up to date review of the mk4. Mostly from owners looks like. Definitely worth a look. There must be hundreds of posts on here regarding battery issues. Also some owners having recalls about a bolt? this could be just one owners situation or it could be common...I don’t know 

17-12-2019: Numerous electrical faults reported in new Ford Focus 1.5 Ecoboost 8-speed automatic since summer 2019: "Charging System Alert!! service Now! warnings, displays changing randomly, the seatbelt warning alarms going on even when the engine was switched off, and so on. Fearing imminent breakdown owner called out the RAC. After connecting his diagnostic interrogator to the car it revealed dozens of different faults including low voltage to the brake servos and steering servos etc. etc. After a lot of head scratching he looked under the bonnet and found a faulty battery earth connection. The earth bolt was only partly inserted into the body, cross-threaded and the cable was making and breaking connection. (See 2-1-2019 and 23-1-2019 above.)

• Like 1

Interesting, yes a loose earthing bolt would play havoc with the electrics causing all sorts of problems. 

It’s easy to see, I will visually check mine tomorrow.

• Like 1

I worked in a factory long time ago (not cars , computers) if one person on a line is making a mistake once or twice they’re probably making the same mistake literally hundreds of times. Defective products getting sent worldwide. 
btw don’t ever buy a Compaq computer . HP now I hear. But still........

best I had was high 40s on motorway . Titanium has 150bhp ? 

yes, mine is the 150bhp but AFAIK the only difference is the mapping above about 4k rpm. The torque figures are exactly the same below that so I would assume fueling is more or less identical.

On a trip down the M6/M5 to Devon, at low 70's with the cruise engaged , I've seen well over 50mpg average indicated. Increasing speed above that does drop mpg significantly!

• Like 1

I reset the average mpg..did 20miles on the motorway...photo is a bit blurry , 56mpg . After a few urban miles down to high 40s.

AE9ED5D1-5340-4E91-AB72-F9F0197C8A4D.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes Alex...if you do a reset then the first 100 miles or so produces low/high results which then settle after many miles.

• Like 1