Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres for the Mk8

Jim H

My rear tyres (swapped from front at Easter) are getting low, so need new ones. It's standard size, 205/45 17.

I think I have a few choices, but can't decide which to buy. Before you it say, yes I need black and round ones, lol. :tongue:

• Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - Came with the car, no complaints, done 24k miles, (approx 21k on front). so am very impressed with life. Seams to do very well in tyre tests. However they are the most expensive tyre.
  • Goodyear Asymmetric 5 - Had Goodyears on previous car (GSD2, GSD3 & Assy 2s), no real complaints apart from early ones were useless in snow/frost/cold weather, however, most summer tyres are!
  • Continental Prem 6 - You can't go wrong with Contis! I've heard they are a combination of softish ride of Prem5 with the sporty feel of ContiSport5. Like Goodyears seam good in tests.

An other option is to fit All-season tyres. Either Michelin CrossClimate+, Nokian Wetherproof, or the new Goodyear Vector 3.

Yes, I've been very happy with the PS4s on mine. If I need to replace tyres before swapping the car**, I'll probably stick with them.  

(**Was originally intending to swap it at 3 years, but with drastically reduced use due to Covid-19 may rethink that!)

Michelin PS4 gets my vote. I've bought four recently as they seem fantastic. You can sometimes get a discount offer from Michelin........I got 15% off four or I think you could get 10% off two.

I was going to suggest PS4 or Premium 6 as well. i have primacy 4s on my fiesta active, and was going to suggest those at a push, but they’re barely any cheaper then the PS4.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I've been very happy with the PS4s on mine. If I need to replace tyres before swapping the car**, I'll probably stick with them.  

(**Was originally intending to swap it at 3 years, but with drastically reduced use due to Covid-19 may rethink that!)

I keep my cars for a long time, hay it's only my 3rd car since I passed my test in 97! 😮 I have had some tyres that haven't lasted long at all. Uniroyal Rainsport 3s on my previous car, were great summer tyres, but only lasted the summer! After 8 ish months and just less than 8k miles, they were bald!! Rainsport 2s were my favourite.

If performance in frost and snow is a consideration for you have you considered an all season tyre like cross climate or conti all season contacts to name a couple as these offer good summer and winter performance 

PS4 for me. They're not much more expensive than the Conti Prem 6s tbf...

Uniroyal rainsport 3's are great in terms of performance (in the wet especially, hence the name lol) but are a very soft tyre so expect to get half the milage compared to a PS4.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club