Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery issues?

The Latman

Hey folks,

Got into my car and before I even touch the star button, the attached message appears “System off to save battery”

The car starts and runs ok with the exception that all the soft in car chimes (parking sensors, warning alarms ) that come through the door Speakers, have been replaced by a cheaper sounding acoustic equivalent coming from the dash (This issue with the chimes appeared a few weeks ago, then the next day everything was normal again).

I’ve heard that the message can mean the battery’s on the way out, but so far the car starts ok.  Due to lockdown it’s not moved as much, but it was out for a good run over the weekend, so I’d have thought that would have given the battery a charge.

Today’s the first time I’ve seen that message.

I was contemplating taking it out for another run, but if it had a decent run a couple of days ago, could the battery be done?

Any ideas?

Lat

61EC466B-3666-4AF1-B8FA-4C789874D0B7.jpeg

It's just the battery state of charge, the same reason for your chimes coming through the dash rather than Speakers. Ideally it'll need charging properly with a charger unless you're doing a long journey, these batteries don't charge too quick off the alternator. If you think there is an issue with the battery then get the battery tested, most places can check this for you if you don't have the tool yourself 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

It's just the battery state of charge, the same reason for your chimes coming through the dash rather than speakers. Ideally it'll need charging properly with a charger unless you're doing a long journey, these batteries don't charge too quick off the alternator. If you think there is an issue with the battery then get the battery tested, most places can check this for you if you don't have the tool yourself 

Ah, so that explains why my parking sensors or seatbelt chiming sounded differently recently - thanks for the tip!  Can you tell me if there is a hidden dash menu to see the SOC and SOH of the battery in newer 2017+ models?

12 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

It's just the battery state of charge, the same reason for your chimes coming through the dash rather than speakers. Ideally it'll need charging properly with a charger unless you're doing a long journey, these batteries don't charge too quick off the alternator. If you think there is an issue with the battery then get the battery tested, most places can check this for you if you don't have the tool yourself 

Thanks for this, I took her out for a run last night, about an hour out.  Message is still on the screen and the chimes are still through the dash.   I ran a multimeter over the battery and it showed 12.34 v.  I understand this is just below 50% charge?

Turns out it needs a service as well as the oil change light came on last night as well.  Booked into the dealership (its a company car - for now) and I'll let them check it out.

I had battery issues about a year after getting the car (S/S refused to work, heated screen refused to work, fans wouldnt come on), they ended up replacing the battery telling me that there were some dodgy batteries being put into Mondeo's.

Once its been to the dealer, Ill let you all know what they said.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, HiZ said:

Ah, so that explains why my parking sensors or seatbelt chiming sounded differently recently - thanks for the tip!  Can you tell me if there is a hidden dash menu to see the SOC and SOH of the battery in newer 2017+ models?

I don't know off the top of my head, I think you can press and hold the ok button on the steering wheel and then put the ignition on, usually this does an cluster test and might bring up extra menus 

T

On 8/6/2020 at 10:14 AM, MasterTechTip said:

I don't know off the top of my head, I think you can press and hold the ok button on the steering wheel and then put the ignition on, usually this does an cluster test and might bring up extra menus 

Thanks for this, went through the menus, battery was at 11.5v......

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Car went into dealer for a service and also to check the issues I mentioned.   When I left it, it was displaying this message on the screen and having the chimes solely coming from the dashboard (rather than through the door speakers) and with the harsher tone as well.

They called to tell me that everything is fine.  The message on the screen is normal (System off to save battery) and the chimes sound fine.   They even compared it with a 19 plate they had there.  They also ran a battery test and say it’s got a good level of charge and is a good battery,

i told them that I’ve had the car from new since feb 17, this is the first time I’ve ever seen that message or heard the different toned chimes coming from the dash.  They even said there was nothing wrong with the start/stop, despite it not working since feb.

They’ve told me they can’t find anything wrong, I’m at a loss as to what to do next.

Hi Lat,

The main thing is to ensure the battery is FULLY charged and in perfect condition.

On that understanding if the problem persists it could be a number of things

For example, there have been instances of the central fuse box needing replacement

Have a read of this and see pages 4 & 5, posts number 33 and 41

https://talkford.com/community/topic/307562-heated-front-screen-and-stop-start-not-working/page-4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club