Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound when revs reach 2k rpm

Arkhangelsk1989

Hello, I have a 2007 fiesta mk6 zetec s 1.6 petrol and I have a strange noise occurring while accelerating. Its a bit like a hissing/metal scraping noise when accelerating and the revs reach 2000 rpm. 

The noise isn't there when I rev the car while stationary, it only occurs when I'm driving and accelerate in any gear at around 2k rpm. 

The sound lasts for a second or two and disappears at around 2200 rpm and also stops when I let my foot of the accelerator. 

It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the car. 

Any help will be appreciated 

On 8/5/2020 at 10:42 PM, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

Hello, I have a 2007 fiesta mk6 zetec s 1.6 petrol and I have a strange noise occurring while accelerating. Its a bit like a hissing/metal scraping noise when accelerating and the revs reach 2000 rpm. 

The noise isn't there when I rev the car while stationary, it only occurs when I'm driving and accelerate in any gear at around 2k rpm. 

The sound lasts for a second or two and disappears at around 2200 rpm and also stops when I let my foot of the accelerator. 

It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the car. 

Any help will be appreciated 

Hi Mate, have you come to any conclusion with this? I’m having the exact same issue and it’s becoming a real expense. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZS57 said:

Hi Mate, have you come to any conclusion with this? I’m having the exact same issue and it’s becoming a real expense. Thank you.

Hello mate, I haven't found out what the problem is, it has been there since I have had the car and hasn't got worse. 

Some people are suggesting it could be an exhaust leak as its only happening under load. Tbh I'm not that worried as it doesn't affect the way the car drives. It's just a bit annoying because now I know its there. 

2 hours ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

Hello mate, I haven't found out what the problem is, it has been there since I have had the car and hasn't got worse. 

Some people are suggesting it could be an exhaust leak as its only happening under load. Tbh I'm not that worried as it doesn't affect the way the car drives. It's just a bit annoying because now I know its there. 

I see. In my case it’s getting progressively worse. Have a look at the post I put up a couple of days ago on my page and let me know if you’re having a couple of the same symptoms? I understand that it’s a Petrol that you have, and in my case it’s a Diesel but it seems like a similar problem. I’m just hoping to flag future issues you and others may have, and be able to diagnose mine. So far it’s cost me £566 for a fuel pump and labour which still hasn’t hit the root problem, maybe it’s injector related. I’ve read a couple of posts on here and a couple have said that the wiring for injector 3 can have issues.

2 hours ago, ZS57 said:

I see. In my case it’s getting progressively worse. Have a look at the post I put up a couple of days ago on my page and let me know if you’re having a couple of the same symptoms? I understand that it’s a Petrol that you have, and in my case it’s a Diesel but it seems like a similar problem. I’m just hoping to flag future issues you and others may have, and be able to diagnose mine. So far it’s cost me £566 for a fuel pump and labour which still hasn’t hit the root problem, maybe it’s injector related. I’ve read a couple of posts on here and a couple have said that the wiring for injector 3 can have issues.

I haven't had any issues with the car at all other than it just being a noise. It's more of a high pitch metallic scrape/hissing sound when accelerating and is audible around 2k rpm then goes after a second or 2.its not a very loud noise but now I know its there its obvious too me. I had all of the pulleys checked and recently had a cambelt and waterpump replacement so I can rule that out. 

Not really sure what is happening with your car tbh pal. I did have a problem with the ecu earth wire on the negative battery terminal coming loose and causing the car too cut out and throw up different messages. Have you checked too see if it is tight as that caused all sorts of problems for me

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

I haven't had any issues with the car at all other than it just being a noise. It's more of a high pitch metallic scrape/hissing sound when accelerating and is audible around 2k rpm then goes after a second or 2.its not a very loud noise but now I know its there its obvious too me. I had all of the pulleys checked and recently had a cambelt and waterpump replacement so I can rule that out. 

Not really sure what is happening with your car tbh pal. I did have a problem with the ecu earth wire on the negative battery terminal coming loose and causing the car too cut out and throw up different messages. Have you checked too see if it is tight as that caused all sorts of problems for me

Fair enough, I hope you find the source of the sound, I'd be intrigued to know what it ends up being. My car has fired back into life now, I was advised to change the injectors. Had to go second hand because new ones are £600! 😕 Running better than ever, until the next thing goes...

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s any help, but.... I had the exact same noise and after months of trying to figure it out.. it was the catalytic converter. The insides had worn down and were hissing rattling inside the cat. Imagine a honeycomb tightly packed in to a tube, eventually they become loose and parts break off causing tinny metallic rattles or weird pinging noises.

I could only hear this weird noise at low revs and when using gears to slow me down. If revved stationary you could briefly hear it for a second or two also.

At first I was adamant it was the wastegate on the turbo as it’s a common problem on the Borg Warner KO3 turbos but after my family mechanic had a look it was the cat.

My car has only done 50,000 miles and the cat is already on its backside. Not happy one bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, ZS57 said:

Fair enough, I hope you find the source of the sound, I'd be intrigued to know what it ends up being. My car has fired back into life now, I was advised to change the injectors. Had to go second hand because new ones are £600! 😕 Running better than ever, until the next thing goes...

Glad you got it sorted mate.  

17 hours ago, Monks600 said:

I don’t know if it’s any help, but.... I had the exact same noise and after months of trying to figure it out.. it was the catalytic converter. The insides had worn down and were hissing rattling inside the cat. Imagine a honeycomb tightly packed in to a tube, eventually they become loose and parts break off causing tinny metallic rattles or weird pinging noises.

I could only hear this weird noise at low revs and when using gears to slow me down. If revved stationary you could briefly hear it for a second or two also.

At first I was adamant it was the wastegate on the turbo as it’s a common problem on the Borg Warner KO3 turbos but after my family mechanic had a look it was the cat.

My car has only done 50,000 miles and the cat is already on its backside. Not happy one bit!

The noise I'm having hasn't gotten worse so I'm not sure what it is. I have driven a few hundred miles since the last post and it's not making any more noise than it was previously. One thing I have noticed is that the mpg isn't really going up and is staying around 30 mpg even on long journeys so I'm guessing it's got something too do with the exhaust or intake side of the engine. 

It doesn't make the noise while revving stationary or when I use the gears too slow down. It only does it when I accelerate and the revs reach 2k rpm. 

I also think I can hear a slight hiss at idle when the bonnet is up but can't see anything loose. 

Very strange 🤔

The noise I'm having hasn't gotten worse so I'm not sure what it is. I have driven a few hundred miles since the last post and it's not making any more noise than it was previously. One thing I have noticed is that the mpg isn't really going up and is staying around 30 mpg even on long journeys so I'm guessing it's got something too do with the exhaust or intake side of the engine. 

It doesn't make the noise while revving stationary or when I use the gears too slow down. It only does it when I accelerate and the revs reach 2k rpm. 

I also think I can hear a slight hiss at idle when the bonnet is up but can't see anything loose. 

Very strange [emoji848]

Mine seems to vary on how warm the ambient air is and whether or not it’s a hot or cold day. On a hot day you could hear the rattling like mad and then on a cold day you couldn’t hardly hear anything.

Honestly, if you can, get under the car and check your cat out or have someone have a look for you. Cats cause all sorts of weird noises and issues and depending on the car the noise will only appear under certain conditions.

At first I thought it was the exhaust, then the heat shields, then the turbo heat shield, then the cat bracket, the turbo and in the end it was the cat. The cat on mine is literally just behind the turbo so my mechanic could easily understand why I would have thought the turbo was the cause.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Mine seems to vary on how warm the ambient air is and whether or not it’s a hot or cold day. On a hot day you could hear the rattling like mad and then on a cold day you couldn’t hardly hear anything.

Honestly, if you can, get under the car and check your cat out or have someone have a look for you. Cats cause all sorts of weird noises and issues and depending on the car the noise will only appear under certain conditions.

At first I thought it was the exhaust, then the heat shields, then the turbo heat shield, then the cat bracket, the turbo and in the end it was the cat. The cat on mine is literally just behind the turbo so my mechanic could easily understand why I would have thought the turbo was the cause.

I will take a look over the weekend. Tbh I haven't noticed if it gets worse depending on temperature but I will see if I notice any difference. Tbh I'm just learning too live with it at the moment as the car seems too be driving alright although the mpg isn't brilliant so it will probably end up being the cat or other part of the exhaust. 🤯

I will take a look over the weekend. Tbh I haven't noticed if it gets worse depending on temperature but I will see if I notice any difference. Tbh I'm just learning too live with it at the moment as the car seems too be driving alright although the mpg isn't brilliant so it will probably end up being the cat or other part of the exhaust. [emoji2962]

Hahaha i know what you mean! I’m now waiting until I get paid so I can source a new cat. Convinced the wife I need a performance one lol!

Let us know the outcome mate, be interesting to hear what you find. I’m hoping for your sake it’s not the cat but in so many cases it’s overlooked, just like I did!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Hahaha i know what you mean! I’m now waiting until I get paid so I can source a new cat. Convinced the wife I need a performance one lol!

Let us know the outcome mate, be interesting to hear what you find. I’m hoping for your sake it’s not the cat but in so many cases it’s overlooked, just like I did!

Isnt the cat all together with the manifold on the mk6? Tbh I'm happy too live with it, Its only noticeable when I listen out for it but obviously the poor mpg isn't brilliant and also it shakes a bit at idle sometimes aswell so it could well be an exhaust problem. I will keep you updated if I find anything. 👍🏻

Quick update. I noticed that when idling there is a hissing sound and it's louder around the drivers side wheel arch area. It's definitely a consistent hiss so I'm guessing that it's either a pulley or a leak from somewhere around that area. 

• 9 months later...

Hi I havent posted here before but was looking for answers to my car problem. Did you ever find out what was the cause of the hissing/scraping noise on acceleration at about 2000 revs and disappearing after 2 seconds. I have just bought a 1.25 fiesta and have the same problem - Im really worried about it - especially if it turns out to be cat related. Hope you got your problem sorted by now. Thanks so much.

• 7 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club