Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol - Standard vs Premium

jassingh

I have a 67' plate fiesta which I am due to refuel soon for the first time (new driver). For a car with a 1.1 litre petrol engine, 84bhp, is the standard Petrol fuel fine or should you also invest in the slightly more expensive fuel versions?

Do they genuinely offer the engine cleaning, efficiency and slightly better fuel economy than the standard fuels on offer? Thought I would check with more experienced drivers and their fuel habits.

On an 85PS 1.1, stick with standard, you'll be wasting your money with anything else imo.

Loads of discussion threads already on here about it.

You can always use some cleaner every now and then, but the higher octane rating won't be worth it on that engine.

• Like 1

Yes on a non turbo car stick with standard maybe run 1 tank of super unleaded every 6 months as a cleaner but don't expect better performance or mpg over and above what an engine clean may achieve. I. E. Recovered lost performance/ mpg that is probably not noticeable in normal day to day driving. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cjay1 said:

Yes on a non turbo car stick with standard maybe run 1 tank of super unleaded every 6 months as a cleaner but don't expect better performance or mpg over and above what an engine clean may achieve. I. E. Recovered lost performance/ mpg that is probably not noticeable in normal day to day driving. 

Even with the MP135 tune on I don't notice a difference. I suspect that fuel (other than the additives) is more for the several hundred hp performance cars - in an RS or Mustang maybe. 

https://www.directline.com/car-cover/should-i-fill-my-car-with-premium-fuel

Adam, thanks for the link above... I had suspected that using higher RON fuel in my 1l ecoboost is a waste of time. Although as others have said using it now and again to clean the engine a bit probably does not harm.

• Like 1

I've found that it doesn't make any difference to power but does seem to make it smoother.  Which makes sense as you do get less pinking.  I put premium in probably 1 out of 4 fills.

• Like 1

I get premium whilst I’m at uni as I have a Costco nearby, so it’s cheaper than regular! When I’m at home it’s 95 for the Fez.

• Like 1

I always use Shell fuel and have their points app and card. I only use V-Power when it' on off to get more points. The alternative to super fuels is to use fuel additives. Something like this:  Millers Petrol Power Plus  I have used Millers stuff for many years in previous cars. It not only cleans the insides, but also adds octane/cetane. I don't use it much on my fiesta because of the faff using the funnel to fill it.

I know there are some engines that need Super unleaded to run. The VAG 1.4 TSI (turbo + super charged) had to use 98 octane, it wouldn't run properly on normal 95 stuff. Don't think Super will make much difference, certainly won't if engine is naturally aspirated (non-turbo), as yours is.

• Like 1

I have the Mountune M330 map on mine which is optimised for higher octane fuel, anything lower causes an occasional rev flutter.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club