Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford design direction and Sync 4

Mark-UK

Looking at Fords USA site, we can see the design direction they are going. Definitely taking a cue from Tesla, and I doubt any sync 3 car will update to sync 4 looking at that screen size.

This is the new mustang electric car for 2021

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 17.18.26.jpeg

I hope not. I was reading an article about a German driver who lost his Licence for a month because crashed while he was adjusting his windscreen wipers using the touchscreen of his Tesla car. The courts decided that what he was doing was the same as someone using a mobile phone. 

Here is a link for anyone interested.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53666222

19 hours ago, Tizer said:

I hope not. I was reading an article about a German driver who lost his Licence for a month because crashed while he was adjusting his windscreen wipers using the touchscreen of his Tesla car. The courts decided that what he was doing was the same as someone using a mobile phone. 

Here is a link for anyone interested.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53666222

Sync 3 thankfully has physical buttons and dials for the important stuff. I know someone with a 16 plate Mondeo Vignale, not sure if it’s sync 2..it has climate options on screen and voice control. I prefer the buttons. Whole point of these touchscreens is to not have to look at it. Sync 4 needs a passenger seat assistant . 

Everything just looks slapped on these days rather than a dash around them. I'm not keen but guess I better get used to it.

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Sync 3 thankfully has physical buttons and dials for the important stuff. I know someone with a 16 plate Mondeo Vignale, not sure if it’s sync 2..it has climate options on screen and voice control. I prefer the buttons. Whole point of these touchscreens is to not have to look at it. Sync 4 needs a passenger seat assistant . 

I agree. I'm not one for being nannied but the touch function of these screens should be disabled when the car is moving.

Yeah this is not a concept car, if you live in the USA you can place your order now. Agreed it does look slapped on, but I bet it's cheaper to build, no switches to run individual wire too, just one loom into one big plug, then again going to be costly if those screens ever go wrong.

Problem with disabling the screen while in motion, how do you open the widow, or put the demister on, everything is go to be controled by the screen, as I understand it tesla only have two buttons, for the indicators.

Do NOT want.  I am all for tech to improve things but basic functions should be instant, tactile, mechanical.  I do not want to drill down a menu to turn on the fecking windscreen wipers or open the glovebox.

• Like 3

I wonder how sales of the Mk 8 Golf will go, now they've replaced nearly all the buttons with touchscreen functions and volume knobs with a "swipe" action? I can perhaps understand it with their new ID3 electric car, but the Golf I would have thought appealed to the more "conservative" customers and always seemed to me to have a very clear and logical layout.

But I suspect despite all the hype about high-tech etc, it's probably down to cost as Mark suggests.

In future the driving test might include needing a computer nat5 or similar

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

In future the driving test might include needing a computer nat5 or similar

You're probably right there! I believe you already have to be able to show you can use a Sat nav in the current test? - I'd fail for sure!😃

I imagine examiner saying to take new road to xyz with sat nav. Erm sorry Mr examiner, this is a Ford my maps are 3 years old, don't have that road.

• Haha 3

It could worse, the new Polestar 2 not only has a tablet, but it's based off Android. All it's about is saving cash, it's easier and cheaper to install a tablet control the functions across the range not user ergonomics. Sadly the German case won't have as much of an impact we hoped for as it's non-binding but does give a warning shot across the bow. Just going to wait to see how this fad plays out as I don't need to buy a car for the next few years.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club