Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 sat nav and radio freeze no response

Minstrel

I have had several experiences of the complete electronic sat nav radio and other devices freezing during operation for no apparent reason, the only resolve is to stop the car and switch the engine off for several seconds and then restart, in effect rebooting the system.

A little dissapointing when you are driving to a destination and expecting verbal advice regards directions and nothing happens.

Appreciate any suggestions as to a solution, car going in for first service next month so will hope for some software updates will certainly express my concerns.

Have you tried rebooting the radio/navigation by holding power and ‘forward’ buttons down until the screen turns black?

Also you can check on the Ford website if there is an update applicable to your car.

Have you anything plugged into the USB, mine crashed when I tried to use a Sandisk 1TB SSD, took it out and everything is fine again.

There was a problem with this happening randomly on Sync 3 that was cured by a dealer update and subsequent software updates,maybe yours has never been done what version are you on?.As suggested the soft reset procedure normally rectifies it in the short term. It must have been a regular issue as Ford put the reset procedure in the handbook

Thanks all, have tried in the past the soft reboot but with no success it needed an engine off and restart to correct. Cannot do any of those things while on the motorway waiting for the next instruction.

Last time I was in a Ford garage for a call back I asked regarding updates for this and the particulate issue, unfortunately they said their computer system was down so could not check the system ??

5 hours ago, Minstrel said:

Thanks all, have tried in the past the soft reboot but with no success it needed an engine off and restart to correct. Cannot do any of those things while on the motorway waiting for the next instruction.

Last time I was in a Ford garage for a call back I asked regarding updates for this and the particulate issue, unfortunately they said their computer system was down so could not check the system ??

A long way of saying “we don’t know “ 

14 hours ago, Minstrel said:

You didn't say but I assume you have also tried the Master Reset in sync3 to see if that solves problem?

Search "ford sync updates uk" , enter your VIN and install any updates for your car.

Follow the instructions on the Ford site to update.

Once updated, turn off "automatic updates" and Wi-Fi on your system and it'll be OK.

The dealer will say there's no updates available, I guarantee it

Get it booked in for an update to the system. Quite common on the MK4 focuses.

And yes the ford system where the updates are checked and come from is down quite a lot. Genuinely