Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I messed or up just missed something?

Godlygaz

Hi guys

So I have just gone and drained my engine oil and replaced the oil filter..... But after I started to refill with Lili checked the dipstick and the oil was still high .....

So I checked over what I did and had a look over the haynes manual I had and everything I have done looks right ... However when I look only the sump plug seems to be in an entirely different place..... So...

What I I just drained??

Photos attached of the two plugs I removed . The first one is the one I drained ( as per the haynes manual) and the second is the one I realise is the proper sump plug.IMG_20200807_135741.thumb.jpg.c63e46d0418e58f384a6a4d81d59cd45.jpgIMG_20200807_134521_1.thumb.jpg.264859b44a49373e575cdf6cbb1b5630.jpg

the car is a ford focus 2012 1.0 ecoboost

Thanks

Gary

Whoops, that's the gearbox oil...  I'm surprised you didn't notice the difference in smell, gear oil smells awful!

Yer that was my thoughts 😜😜 , right I guess I'm off the get gearbox oil lol

• Haha 1

Any ideas where said transmission filler bolt is??

Based on the pictures this looks like the 5-speed Ford IB5 transmission on a 100 HP 1.0 ECOboost.

The plug you removed is not the drain plug. This plug covers a hinge pin of the shifter mechanism. Most versions of the IB5 gearbox did not have a drain plug at all. To drain these gearboxes the output shaft needs to be removed from the gaerbox. Late versions of the IB5 gearbox did have a drain plug. Both the filler/level plug and drain plug (if present) are located behind the black plastic cover at the front of the gearbox. The oil level is supposed to be 5 to 10 mm below the filler/level plug.

• Like 2

you need to start again

the engine now has too much oil... this must be rectified before you start it up

the gearbox needs the same amount you took out replaced... or correctly topped up following the instructions JW1982 has given

Don't rely on any of the Haynes manuals, they were pretty good and very comprehensive up until the late 1980's but after that they are pretty crap and very basic, you are better off searching the internet for the downloadable workshop/service manual in PDF form for your model and use that for reference.

• Like 2

In fairness, if it was drained into a clean container, I'd just whip the reverse light switch out and shove it back in there using some sort of funnel.  I've even made a flexible funnel out of old newspaper in a pinch!  (You can tell how long ago that was, it's not going to work with an iPad...)

How are you even supposed to work out 10mm below the filler without x-ray vision?

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

In fairness, if it was drained into a clean container, I'd just whip the reverse light switch out and shove it back in there using some sort of funnel.  I've even made a flexible funnel out of old newspaper in a pinch!  (You can tell how long ago that was, it's not going to work with an iPad...)

How are you even supposed to work out 10mm below the filler without x-ray vision?

When I done my mk2 there is no room to use a funnel. I had to get a piece of hose pipe and push it in then had to feed it up and out the engine bay with the bonnet open and most of them oils have an end that can be joined to a hose so joined it to the hose and squeezed the life out of the bottle. You defo can't see the level either I just filled until it started to pour out then waited on it stopping 😂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milkman said:

Don't rely on any of the Haynes manuals, they were pretty good and very comprehensive up until the late 1980's but after that they are pretty crap and very basic, you are better off searching the internet for the downloadable workshop/service manual in PDF form for your model and use that for reference.

There's also a large selection of YouTube videos that cover various cars. Quality can be variable, but if combined with other sources it's a great visual guide to figure out how things go together and if there's no videos it's always an idea to do your own even for private usage. Something I'm currently doing is a Land Rover rebuild and conversion from the frame up to a full off-road mobile home for a friend.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Does anyone do a site like this but for Ford?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MBZ_Tech_Index-W204.htm

This was so useful when I had the MB.

Only site I know is the Ford ETIS site, but you have to pay to get access to the manual/diagrams. You can get basic access for free for service schedules/config.

https://www.etis.ford.com/selectedVehicleDetails.do

Alan Hewitt over YouTube does a lot of info on their taxi fleet of Mondeo cars, there was a Polish channel as well that stripped down a Mk 3 but I can't find it at the mo.

16 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

Alan Hewitt over YouTube does a lot of info on their taxi fleet of Mondeo cars, there was a Polish channel as well that stripped down a Mk 3 but I can't find it at the mo.

Auto Repair Guys with the funky accent?

https://www.youtube.com/c/AutoRepairGuys/videos

They did make a trans refill video but being a US channel it wasn't a manual.

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Auto Repair Guys with the funky accent?

https://www.youtube.com/c/AutoRepairGuys/videos

They did make a trans refill video but being a US channel it wasn't a manual.

No but still a useful channel, I'll ask my friend as he's the one that bounced it to me way back. It was in Polish with English sub-titles.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club