Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Transmission

Joseph Vargas

Hello everyone,

I am after some advice. I have a 09 plate, 3 door Ford Fiesta Titanium. Over the past weeks my car has developed a weird quirk with the  automatic transmission. First thing when I first start driving the car and it’s still cold and driving at low speeds. When accelerating and the transmission is changing from second gear to third, I lose all power and acceleration for about 5 seconds then it seems to find the gear and it’s ok. If I manually drop down the gear to second it also gets the power back. Once I get past this stage, I don’t have any issue with transmission at all. I drive the car pretty much every day for long distances and have no issues after the first section. I just had the car in for a major service at a ford dealership, asked them to check it for me. They told they could not find any issues.  Has anyone had any similar symptoms and tell me what to do?

It is a 1388cc petrol engine with a 4 speed transmission. 

I thought the 1.4s had a robotised 5 speed? Or was that the shape before?

If it's a conventional 4 speed torque converter then you need to make sure it has enough fluid in or that it doesn't need changing.

If it's the robotised manual it could be the throttle body is dirty and sticking as it automatically goes off and on when changing gear or the mechanisms may need adjusting or lubricating on the gearbox. Or even the clutch is going, depending on how many miles it's done, it's just a conventional clutch after all.

I think It’s the conventional 4 speed torque converter.  Would a split torque restrictor have this effect?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club