Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 parking sensors reliability

Alex.S

Am I alone in thinking I can’t trust these sensors sometimes? 
like getting really close to another car etc and not getting a green warning never mind an orange warning ? 
to trust or not to trust ? 

38 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Am I alone in thinking I can’t trust these sensors sometimes? 
like getting really close to another car etc and not getting a green warning never mind an orange warning ? 
to trust or not to trust ? 

Do you not also get the loud repeating beeps when approaching an object that change to a constant beeb when very close. ?
I find that very useful and wouldn’t have a car without that feature.

Mine seem fine.  Only issue I get is the comedy chipmunk beeps sometimes 

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Mine seem fine.  Only issue I get is the comedy chipmunk beeps sometimes 

Lol yeah had that..

2 hours ago, PLB said:

Do you not also get the loud repeating beeps when approaching an object that change to a constant beeb when very close. ?
I find that very useful and wouldn’t have a car without that feature.

I get the beeps when it’s working , which is most of the time. Maybe I just need to have more faith! 
What about parking face on into a kerb , ignore it , knowing got about a foot to go...

Just now, Alex.S said:

I find that very useful and wouldn’t have a car without that feature

100% 

first car I’ve had with sensors. Wish I’d got the camera too. Standard on the titx I’d imagine? 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

100% 

first car I’ve had with sensors. Wish I’d got the camera too. Standard on the titx I’d imagine? 

The rear view camera probably comes as standard now but I had to purchase the convenience pack which includes the rear camera.
I also paid extra for the BLIS which includes cross traffic and I have found this to be a very useful addition.

• Like 1

I don't find sensors all that useful tbh, have the opposite problem to you, they still leave a huge gap even when it says I've hit something (car image illuminates red!) so I just have to guess the last foot anyway.  Had to parallel park in a very tight spot on a fairly busy road behind my Mums car last week...that was a little hairy and the sensors were of no use at all, said I'd hit both the front and rear cars at the same time! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't find sensors all that useful tbh, have the opposite problem to you, they still leave a huge gap even when it says I've hit something (car image illuminates red!) so I just have to guess the last foot anyway.  Had to parallel park in a very tight spot on a fairly busy road behind my Mums car last week...that was a little hairy and the sensors were of no use at all, said I'd hit both the front and rear cars at the same time! :laugh: 

Red indicates that you're a foot away from the object being picked up by the sensors, not that it thinks you've hit it. 

1 hour ago, Sprawlsy said:

Red indicates that you're a foot away from the object being picked up by the sensors, not that it thinks you've hit it. 

I don't have a Focus anymore (and had a Mk3 anyway lol), on the VAG system the actual car image illuminates red when you hit something, not just the red bars.  It's regularly triggered by a bit of overhanging flora in the rural locations I generally park! :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't have a Focus anymore (and had a Mk3 anyway lol), on the VAG system the actual car image illuminates red when you hit something, not just the red bars.  It's regularly triggered by a bit of overhanging flora in the rural locations I generally park! :biggrin: 

Generally Parking in rural locations 🤔 

Dogging? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I bypassed 'sensors', and went straight to a reversing camera - it never lies LOL

I have the sensors (and camera) and find them really reliable and accurate.

The camera is great, I've not yet got out of the habit of turning my head when reversing though! As I have the estate it is pretty much pointless turning around as the thing is so flippin' long!

In hindsight I should’ve got factory fitted camera , blind spot thing and LEDs . 
Cant modify anything cause it’s a lease car. 

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The bump usually gives it away! What an odd system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Generally Parking in rural locations 🤔 

Dogging? 

You joke...but yes, I often go to 'Country Park' car parks which are well known for dogging...  Fortunately I'm there during the day though, not at night! :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Sprawlsy said:

The bump usually gives it away! What an odd system.

It is a bit weird, though I found the MK3 Focus sensors didn't have a wide enough range to pick out bollards in Tesco so that wasn't a great syetem either...  Both cars were 2012 models though, so hopefully these systems have moved on a bit now!  I'm still yet to try a reversing camera...

• Haha 1

I've got the camera too, it's the only extra I wanted as was impressed by the one in the wife's car. This one is actually better though as you can change to the wide angle view, which is great for getting off the drive. 

I never had an issue with the sensors in my Mk3, can't really compare with this car now because the camera takes any uncertainty away.

Sorry Alex I have LED headlights (not adaptive) too, just came as standard on mine.

• Like 1

Any other Mk4 owner find that the rear camera is virtually unusable after a downpour as the spots of rain left on the lens blur the image.

I didn’t get the problem so much on my previous Mk3.

Some sort of lens hood would help solve the problem.

18 minutes ago, Sprawlsy said:

Sorry Alex I have LED headlights (not adaptive) too, just came as standard on mine.

I think the salesman was convinced I was gonna pay for the adaptive LEDs when really I would have probably paid for the normal LEDs if the price was right. I’ve got led DRLs and horrible yellow halogen headlights. He’s shot himself in the foot tho cause it’s his dealerships got to try and sell a 3 year old car WITHOUT LEDs in 2022 

So, Tom and his Mrs have invited us all to the Country Park , 10pm sharp. 
I’ve got a new phone with a cracking camera on it too. 😊Happy days 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

So, Tom and his Mrs have invited us all to the Country Park , 10pm sharp. 
I’ve got a new phone with a cracking camera on it too. 😊Happy days 

My Mrs?  That's news to me! :laugh:

Can you mirror link your phone to the dash screen?  Maybe tape that to the tailgate before reversing! :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not sure if it’s compatible...

48204C32-B7B7-49FA-A218-4C30B6F8022A.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PLB said:

Any other Mk4 owner find that the rear camera is virtually unusable after a downpour as the spots of rain left on the lens blur the image.

Yes, and also if it has been a bit misty overnight, I try to remember to give mine a wipe with my fingers before setting off in the morning.

Apart from that I would not want be without a rear camera one now.

• Like 1