Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC 3 / ITunes / IPhone

DAVEWILL5

Hi

Dont know if anyone can help or advise on this..

For the 2 years that i have driven the Edge, i have used an old iPhone 6s and ITunes to play my music through the Sync 3 system via bluetooth

It has worked perfectly with the album cover pictures shown on the dash via the Gracenote "app" within ITunes / phone / sync 3 etc

Yesterday i did the V9 Map upgrade  which i posted on the other thread, and that has gone on fine

However i noticed later in the day when i played my music through ITunes that the album cover pictures were no longer shown on the dash screen

Last night i did a latest ITunes update and iPhone latest software update and synced the two on my laptop

i put the iPhone back in the car and connected up via bluetooth, all the playlists were there but when i played any track no album covers are shown.

So, does anyone know if ITunes and Ford Sync 3 now don't like each other??

Yes i am an old luddite but i have always liked the Ford Sync system and how it works with ITunes  

Just to add to the query

I found a photo i had taken of the Sync 3 screen a while ago, and it shows Gracenote as Version 1.1.1.1127 (EU-0010)

Today the screen says just Gracenote, with no Version number against it

Mines updated to version F9 Maps but still shows the same Gracenote ver 1.1.1.1127 (EU-0010) as before.

Eddiek

I've just fixed it thanks

Basically did a new download and replaced the files that were originally downloaded to the USB

Went out again and it took 45 mins to update in the car

This time i got a message saying "you can now remove USB and update will take place next time car is started"

Left the car for a few minutes then started it up and got a message saying "update successful"

Settings say Maps V9, and Gracenote is back with version 1.1.1.1127, and when i play the iPhone through itunes the album cover artowk is back..

Happy now!!!

Glad you got it fixed. Possibly just an incomplete update not enabling all features. I’ve just downloaded Map V9 this afternoon. Might get round to updating the car tomorrow. I’ll take a picture of the various versions before and after to make sure I complete the upgrade. 

I seem to have run into trouble downloading V9 of fords map update. I was definitely a bit quick off the mark as I tried to unwittingly download an early update that was 16.2GB in size which seemed small from previous updates but assumed it was ok unfortunately it failed to complete on the Sync 3 unit. Since then fords have released a new update of 25.5Gb in size which I have tried to upload but it continues to say it has completed the first part but then I need to do a key cycle but before I can stop the car it then tries to upload the first part again. What I then get is every 4th start of the car a message saying I must insert the stick to complete the upload but it never completes. The maps appear to have downloaded as I am showing F9 and I can see local speed cameras that have just been added, no grace note number however. I have tried at least 6 times now to fix this but always finish up with the same problem. I have tried doing a master reset but that just clears out your favorites and phone details and makes no difference to clearing the failed update. You would think the new update would overwrite the original update but it does not appear to do that and I think the sync 3 is still trying to resolve the original 16.2GB update. it feels as though it has corrupted the system. Any ideas?

As @DAVEWILL5 stated above I’ve just done the update. It went through the normal update procedure then after about 45 mins, the head unit went all dark and re-booted. It then said I had to do a lock cycle, which I did. Nothing happened and despite leaving the USB in, I didn’t get told it had completed. I have since removed the USB as it isn’t doing anything but when I start the car it tells me that there is an update in progress. The gracenote version is blank. I’ve tried formatting the USB stick and putting all the downloaded files on it again but when I plug it in and start the car, nothing happens. No messages saying it’s updating. Maps have been updated to F9, but Gracenote still blank. I don’t want to drive about aimlessly waiting for it to do something. I’ve gone for a 45 min drive already with no result. Any ideas ?

Mines started update after a few minutes of being plugged in.  After about an hour I almost gave up but let it run.  The engine stopped during this time but I restarted and disabled auto start/stop.  Another hour gone by still never said update complete so gave up shut car off locked up and left overnight. The usb stick was left in place.   On starting up the following morning the unit said system updating and almost immediately after said update complete.  You can now remove usb.   That was it.   On checking. F9 maps installed and gracenotes showing version...also the file saved on stick to upload on Ford site to verify update.   

Did yours produce the update file ?

Might be worth trying a key recycle with the usb in place again.   

@eddiek Well done mate.  I went into the car and plugged the USB stick back in and did a lock / unlock cycle and then starter her up again and it again announced it was updating.  This took another 45 minutes then said “download complete, you can remove your USB device” or words to that effect.  I did this and restarted the car and Gracenote still showed nothing, but after 30 seconds or so it changed to the Gracenote ver 1.1.1.1127 (EU-0010) as before.  Brilliant. 

• Like 1

That`s great Ian.   Did it generate the XML file required to upload back to ford update site ?

@eddiek - No XML file. The files on the stick appear to be exactly as they were prior to install.  Therefore nothing to upload. I’m sure if my car is in WiFi range and I check for updates, this will upload info to Ford to show its updated. At least I’m sure I read that somewhere !

Hi Guys

Seems like we are all experiencing the same type of problems in terms of incomplete download and upgrade, then with a bit of patience a positive result!

Just to say mine also did not not produce the XML file, so i have not uploaded to the Ford site 

17 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

@eddiek - No XML file. The files on the stick appear to be exactly as they were prior to install.  Therefore nothing to upload. I’m sure if my car is in WiFi range and I check for updates, this will upload info to Ford to show its updated. At least I’m sure I read that somewhere !

Check the contents of the sync my ride folder.   Mine is in there. 

I did, it’s not. I even tried to upload the file to the Ford site in case I had missed it, but it didn’t find it. 

You can download the tool which generates the XML on the sync update page.

I’ve just been on the Sync update site and it now says my software and maps are up to date. I have not uploaded any XML file and my car has not been connected to WiFi, so no idea how they know I’ve done it. My car is a late 2016 build so doesn’t have the fancy modem thingy. 

Hi

It appears everyone is getting a slightly different experience when trying to upgrade their SYNC 3 mapping system - I dont think I would ever want to trust my life with Fords autonomous cars if my experience with the Edge is anything to go by - mapping issues, wipers not working, headlight messages, etc . I have tried everything including making numerous attempts to download which is very wearing and expensive. The one thing I did notice this time round was when downloading a new version from the Ford site the file number never changes whereas in the past I seem to remember it did although that probably makes no difference. I also compared it with previous versions I have kept that were successfully installed and there is a huge difference with the number of files but they may be a red herring.

My upgrade does clearly tell me that their is a second part after the key cycle but mine never actually attempts it just tries to reload the first part - I have read somewhere on a previous site that the second part holds all the voice updates, etc -  my system also tells me some updates will remain disabled until the second part is completed.

Anyway pointless to keep moaning, I have booked the car into the dealers to see if they can fix it - my experience with them is they seem to struggle like us but perhaps they can clear my constant request from the SYNC to download. On my last visit the technician told me that Ford have provided them with new advanced diagnostic equipment to test SYNC 3. Here is hoping they are successful.

Yes, it's called PTS. If you want PM me your VIN and I'll have a look.

H

@tornado51 If you have removed your memory stick, start the car with it out and you should get an error saying some stuff is not updated. Plug in your stick, then do a key cycle, so turn off, exit, lock, wait 2 mins, unlock and in and restart and it should then pick up the second part of the update. Unfortunately it’s another 45 mins with engine on to complete. 

Thanks I will try that. I will following your instructions anything that might avoid a visit to the dealers is worth trying

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club