Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key-fob + spare keys stolen...

Watch7ower

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well in these strange times.

Last night, my home was broken into and the key-fob for my 2008 Focus was taken. Along with it, they also took the spare (manual) key. They did not take the car, however, as it wasn't as close to the house as normal so they were most likely not able to see the lights flash when attempting to use the fob.

1) I have a weirdly cut 3rd key which only unlocks the bonnet - not the driver's side door. To take precaution until my lock can be changed and I have a new set of keys, I have pulled the ignition and starter solenoid fuses from the engine compartment fuse panel. Would this be enough to stop the car from being taken if the thieves return and unlock the car?

2) With regard to sorting this mess out - I was offered the option of having a new key coded but I reiterated it's only half a solution as my other manual key has also been taken. So I'm assuming I must get the lock and ignition changed along with getting new keys to cover all my bases. Is this correct?

3) The 2 keys which were stolen can also unlock the bonnet - should I have this lock changed as well just in case?

Lastly, does anyone known a reliable mobile service who could come to my address and sort it all out? I am awaiting a quote from the AA but expect it to be very steep. My insurance policy's total excess is £600 as I have only had a license since November 2016.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

If they come back and it doesn’t start they won’t waste time looking for a reason for it not starting so you would be okay .. so you could change all the locks and have new keys programmed for about £500 quid or so or you could get new keys cut and programmed for a coupled of hundred quid and doing so they will unprograme the stolen keys so they won’t start the car but the could still open the doors . If you wanted to save money that would prob be your best bet and invest in a steering wheel lock and you should be okay 

Hi Gaz,

Thanks very much for your response. So if I had new keys cut and programmed, the stolen key-fob could still open the door (by physical unlock only?) but not start the car as the ignition has been reprogrammed to only accept the new fob. What would happen if they tried the manual/standard key they also took though, or separated the other key from the fob and chip itself - would that still start the car and let them get away if no wheel lock was in place?

Your best thing would be to contact Ford UK or your nearest Ford dealer to give you advice on your questions and options available and also consult your insurance Company as to how you stand from an insurance situation and go from there.

You want to change all the locks (including bonnet) to be on the safe side. If you don't change the barrels and just get 2 new keys cut, they won't be able to start the car (but still gain entry obviously). Your car has an immobiliser that can only be disabled with the correct chip that is paired with the ECU being placed close to the transponder ring. Removing those recognised chips from the ECU mean they'll no longer disable the immobiliser.

I wouldn't go to Ford. They just outsource it to a local locksmith and charge you for the privilege.

Hi when you get your keys programmed there is an option within the sys to delete any previous keys , although the old keys will physically open and turn the ignition they won’t be able to start the car .  Unfortunately all your options depend on how much money your willing to pay 

I don't have a 2008 model, so this could be completely wrong but given physical access to the inside of the car through the physical key, would the thief then have access to the OBD port and from there be able to reinstate the keys that they have taken, to enable them to start the engine?

Guys, it's a 2008 Focus, retail between £1500 and £2000. I'd be shocked if the key thieves would spend much time & effort in coming back, and stealing it. The most cursory precautions should be enough to see them off in search of a newer, more expensive car. I speak as someone whose car is worth little more than a few bags of peanuts!

Honestly, see what the absolute cheapest option is to maybe change the immobiliser programming. The bonnet lock will have been faulty in the past and the owner took the lazy way out of getting a new generic barrel instead of making up the same one as your ignition key - I wouldn't worry about it.

You have my sympathy, there are some right scumbags around and we all wish them eternal hell & damnation!

37 minutes ago, Dark Andy said:

I don't have a 2008 model, so this could be completely wrong but given physical access to the inside of the car through the physical key, would the thief then have access to the OBD port and from there be able to reinstate the keys that they have taken, to enable them to start the engine?

That’s a lot of trouble to steal a 2008 focus. 
Chances are they’re not clever enough either. 

Is it an RS or ST ? 

Like said above. Get a lock that you put on steering wheel

7 hours ago, Hooded said:

Disklok .. problem solved 

My own Disklok, now worth more than the car it protects! LOL

802060937_disklokchrome.thumb.jpg.7fccff128276e092f61701f1556854bc.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

My own Disklok, now worth more than the car it protects! LOL

802060937_disklokchrome.thumb.jpg.7fccff128276e092f61701f1556854bc.jpg

Haha.. you’ve got the sexy Chrome one, you don’t see many of those! 

8 hours ago, Hooded said:

I was flush at the time of purchase, not so much now LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hooded said:

Must be worth a few bob on the black market now...he'll need some sort of security device to keep it safe! :biggrin: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Must be worth a few bob on the black market now...he'll need some sort of security device to keep it safe! :biggrin: 

I do, it's called a Ford Focus 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club