Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta vs Mazda 2

fiestalux

I have a 2014 Fiesta, which I am very happy with, but I know that it will come up for replacement in the next couple of years. Also, there are some Mazda 2 bargains going round right now. So do any of you here have any significant real life experiences, which can be called a comparison between the current Fiesta and Mazda 2? I know the Mazda has a weaker engine and no turbo unit, which is one obvious downside... Otherwise, honest views appreciated.

I have seen some online reviews, but the reviewers only have the cars for a short period of time.

Any views gratefully received, so thanks in advance

They're the same car built on the same platform, only the engine's differ and all the bits you can see, obviously. 

Same difference as a Skoda Fabia to an Audi A1

Yes, as Dave mentions the earlier generations shared a platform with the Fiesta, some even looked pretty much the same. I've an idea though that the latest generation (2014-on, I think) may be on Mazda's own platform.

Never got round to trying one unfortunately, due to the limited engine range (though, from test reports the 1.5 version with 115ps goes pretty well, though lacking the torque of a turbo like the ecoboost, you have to be prepared to rev it). Certainly in the showroom they give the impression of being well screwed together and a friend of mine has driven nothing but various Mazdas for 30+ years and been well pleased with them.

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've an idea though that the latest generation (2014-on, I think) may be on Mazda's own platform.

Mazda designed the MK7 platform that the Fiesta sat on and they both still sit on the same platform

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Mazda designed the MK7 platform that the Fiesta sat on and they both still sit on the same platform

Do you have a definitive reference on this, Dave? Don't want to turn the OP into a discussion of Mazda platforms, but it reminded me I was interested in this one and never really got to the bottom of it.

Anyway, 100% agree that the Mk 7 and contemporary 2 were on the same platform. I had the idea though that while Ford continued with basically the same platform for the Mk 7.5 and Mk 8, Mazda had gone their own way with the 2 after their arrangement with Ford ended.

First got this impression when looking at the current 2 in my local Mazda dealer (not always the most reliable source of info, I know!). I asked if it was still basically a Fiesta underneath, and they said no - the previous one was, but this was "all Mazda". 

Same story on Wiki (similar comments apply, of course):

"The fourth generation is based on a variation of Mazda's CX-5 platform, rather than Ford's DE platform used on the Ford Fiesta and features greater length, wider front and rear tracks, decreased interior room for rear-seat occupants and less front head and legroom."

and also from "Autocar" who are normally fairly reliable:

"The Skyactiv philosophy – Mazda’s umbrella term for reducing the kerb weight and sourcing greater powertrain efficiency – has been instrumental in the new 2’s development. Mazda claims that it “aimed to shatter all notions of the class” when it came to remake the 2, which is its way of saying that the model, like many of its rivals, has been scaled up and moved upmarket.

Consequently, it is a little bigger. The new platform, shared with the CX-3, upgrades the 2 from dinky runaround to a more substantial-looking five-door hatch. The three-door version is no more. Mazda also says the refinement, handling and equipment have all been enhanced."

In fairness, the engine, gearbox, interior and infotainment were all different, even when they were based on the same platform, so hardly the same car anyway.  I made the mistake of buying an A3, assuming it to be 'the same' as a Golf...was sorely disappointed!  

I've been tempted by the Mazda 2 now it's a bit bigger, but the reviews I've seen so far suggest it's still not a comfortable ride sadly.  Interesting how they've made it bigger, but with less interior space also! :unsure: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Interesting how they've made it bigger, but with less interior space also! :unsure: 

Lol, they seem to do that with most cars these days. The current Mini is a real bloater, but I can still recall getting 4 people and luggage into an original. We must have been a lot slimmer then!😀

• Like 1

For previous

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Do you have a definitive reference on this, Dave? Don't want to turn the OP into a discussion of Mazda platforms, but it reminded me I was interested in this one and never really got to the bottom of it.

We at JLR were still part of the Ford group at the time and I remember seeing a Mazda2/Fiesta B2?? (can't remember) proto at dunton and discussing how Mazda had the lead of the platform.

The current platform is virtually identical, they have just changed the names (both Mazda and Ford)

I believe Fiesta is moving to C2 (Focus) at next generation, all Ford Europe cars will eventually be on C2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

looking at the current 2 in my local Mazda dealer (not always the most reliable source of info, I know!). I asked if it was still basically a Fiesta underneath, and they said no - the previous one was, but this was "all Mazda". 

That's where the name change comes in now that they are separate companies, but it's the same platform still

Well, I'd take an ecoboost over the N/A Mazda engine anyday though hehe.

Thanks for all your replies. Certainly, until 2014 it was the same platform although the engines etc varied. I was under the impression that the new 2 was on a new platform, but I see there is some debate. Also according to what I have read Mazda made some small changes recently which improved things, such as improving the suspension and improving sound damping this year. On the negative side, where I live they seem to have dropped the 115hp version. But discounts are quite high at 15-20% off list.

For me the Ecoboost engine plus the handling overall of the Fiesta are huge plusses in its favour. From what I have seen in reviews, the Fiesta is still better in those respects. However,  the sites I normally see video reviews on have not looked at the recent updated versions. My brother had an old 2, which was an ok car but certainly didn't have the fun of the fiesta. But I think its probably unfair to judge the current one on the basis of his, which I think was built in around 2008. Was a reliable beast though. 

I will go for some test drives in the coming weeks, the list is really: Ford, Mazda with the Kia Rio being the current far behind third.. Other brands are not offering as good value for money right now. 

hello folks,

Can't help weighing in... the 2007 to 2015 Mazda 2 is indeed on the same platform as the mk7 Fiesta. Petrol versions of the Mazda used their own 1.3 engine with Mazda gearbox, but the diesels used both engine and gearbox straight out of the mk7 Fiesta (gear ratios inc the final drives are the same). 

The current Mazda 2 is on a Mazda platform as others have said - it's effectively a smaller 3 as far as i know. It's evident that it's no longer the same platform as the mk8 Fiesta uses - the wheelbase, track widths, fuel tank size etc are all different and the cars share no parts at all. The Mazda is also 100-odd kg lighter than the mk8 Fiesta (going by tested weights not claims). 

Ok maybe that's enough from pedantry corner...🤓

Last month I changed my mk7 Fiesta for a mk8, but came quite close to choosing a Mazda 2. This is probably little help to you as I never test drove a 2... though I did sit in one and the driving position was very good (I'm 6' 2"). If you're buying new i think the 115hp has been dropped everywhere, tbh. What stopped me going for the 2 was a handful of things... you can't get them with a factory spare wheel (though could prob source one on eBay to be fair); you can't have the heated front screen and one or 2 other Fiesta features on the 2; & reading over road tests which have cabin noise figures, suggested the 2 is likely to be noisier, esp on motorways. For all that I still suspect the 2 is underrated in its class. 

Last thought if you can bear it - your last post mentions value for money. The new Clio looks really good value to me  - wondered if you'd considered it?

Wordchild thanks for your detailed reply.

I was thinking a little of the Clio, they seem to have improved in terms of reliability. That said I have a French colleague who refuses to buy cars from his homeland on grounds that they are not reliable enough. I did however drive a related vehicle the Nissan Micra (when my Fiesta was in being fixed due to a breakin) this week. They share the same platform and are built on the same line. I was pleasantly surprised. 

I may yet look at the Renault as well.

33 minutes ago, fiestalux said:

I may yet look at the Renault as well.

Yes, Renault/Nissan are pretty much the same thing under the skin and I've read good things about the latest Clio/Micra also.

Purely by way of anecdote, we've had 3 "French" cars - a Peugeot and a couple of Citroens. One of the Citroens stayed in the family for 13 years, with no problems, the other was a company car in which I did almost 100k miles in 3 years, again no problems. The Peugeot (also a company car) was an utter disaster, spending more time under repair than being driven, until I managed to get rid. The ironic thing was both Citroens were assembled in France, the Peugeot was British built (back in the days of the Ryton plant.)

Thank Eric.

I have heard similar things from others about French cars, one friend had an old Peugeot saloon, was in perfect condition and a nice car. It was previously his fathers ,who was a salesman - which meant it had a high KMs. No problems and was a very nice car, ironically it was also French people who moaned about French cars. One has a Merc for example.

I like the look of the Clio and 208 as well.. so you never know. I also test drove a Mazda 2, a very nice car and quieter than my Fiesta. Much less road noise on the motorway, but it is much never. It just lacked the turbo unit.

For me it comes down to the quickclear windscreen. It would take a lot to persuade me to buy a car without it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club