Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driver alert - any point?

DG97

Having just completed some lengthy trips, I was having a thought on one of the return legs.

my MK8 comes with the driver tiredness alert “system” that is meant to remind you to take a break based on how you’re driving etc. 

on one of the return legs, I was very tired to the point I was almost falling asleep (I did pull over to rest for a few hours as soon as it became possible) but at no point did the driver alert ever warn of anything. Ultimately it’s obviously the drivers responsibility to rest etc but if even during more extreme cases there isn’t any warning etc, surely this is one of the most pointless features fitted to cars in recent years?

It allows them to get type approval, I think that's the only point Ford worries about, lol.

(I.e. it's a system mandated by law to be fitted)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

(I.e. it's a system mandated by law to be fitted)

Yes, we often blame the manufacturer for systems we don't like or find pointless, but in an increasing number of cases they have no choice other than to fit them if they want to sell cars.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DG97 said:

my MK8 comes with the driver tiredness alert “system” that is meant to remind you to take a break based on how you’re driving etc. 

Only driver alert system in our car is the missus! Jesus does she ever shut up.....lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ian Lanc said:

Only driver alert system in our car is the missus! Jesus does she ever shut up.....lol

Best used as a satnav - they always knew it was the wrong turn, it’s just they tell you after you’ve made it 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, DG97 said:

Having just completed some lengthy trips, I was having a thought on one of the return legs.

on one of the return legs, I was very tired to the point I was almost falling asleep (I did pull over to rest for a few hours as soon as it became possible) but at no point did the driver alert ever warn of anything. Ultimately it’s obviously the drivers responsibility to rest etc but if even during more extreme cases there isn’t any warning etc, surely this is one of the most pointless features fitted to cars in recent years?

Were you doing any of the things the system tries to look for? 

Doesn't it compare to your normal driving style?  So if you always drive badly it can't tell if you're tired... :laugh: 

• Haha 2

On my Mondeo is partially based on ignoring the lane keep aid . It's warned me a few times but it does take a while. It also is time driving based . 

• 2 weeks later...

Had it on my A3  and then on the MK8 - The A3 looked at steering input to generate a warning so I assumed the Fiesta was the same.

Been looking at reviews on new Skodas and was a little put-off by the fact their lane keeping assist re-enables at every engine restart ... Really hope that's not some new regulation as that was yet another safety feature that doesn't 'quite' work properly. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tef89 said:

Been looking at reviews on new Skodas and was a little put-off by the fact their lane keeping assist re-enables at every engine restart 

Yes, I was reading about the latest generation Golf/A3/Octavia/Leon and they all seem to have the same systems. If it goes on like this we'll be spending 10 minutes switching stuff off (and I doubt we'll be able to for much longer) before driving away.

What's really worrying me is the news that they're going to let cars with the appropriate capability drive "hands off" on motorways - and they're still intending to extend the use of "smart" motorways despite the poor safety record so far.😱 Think I'll just stick to the B-roads......😀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club