Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of buying an Edge

DavidW

Hi everyone,

Im new here but would like your thoughts on the Edge.

Im looking at getting a 2017 Edge Titanium 210PS around 35k miles with a high spec.

I just wondered what everyone’s opinions are of the Edge. My main worry is that it’s being discontinued in the UK and I worry about part availability long term.

Does the Edge have a lot of common parts that are shared with other Fords?

Also are these considered reliable cars? I know in the USA these have been sold for a long time but I notice they are all a different engine size to the UK version.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t worry , it’s been discontinued for a while now and parts are still available , it shares a lot of common parts with the Galaxy / Mondeo about 85% worth . 

Thanks that’s really encouraging to hear.

Do you know what they drive like as I’ve seen conflicting reviews. Some say drives nice and has enough power and some say sluggish...

I really do love the look of it though!

210PS is a nice drive. Pop it in Sport for a bit more responsive accel and gear drop down when braking. It is 2000Kg car, so not as nibble as others! Had my almost 4 years now, love it!

Where you based @DavidW? Have a drive before you buy, you won't be disappointed. What prices are you looking at?

210PS is a nice drive. Pop it in Sport for a bit more responsive accel and gear drop down when braking. It is 2000Kg car, so not as nibble as others! Had my almost 4 years now, love it!
Where you based [mention=116598]DavidW[/mention]? Have a drive before you buy, you won't be disappointed. What prices are you looking at?
Hi All

Have to agree with simonb65 on this. My Edge, being a manual Titanium is only rated at 180ps, with lux pack + few other goodies gives a very nice ride and is reasonably quick off the line when needed.
Though I have had a few problems with mine, I still recommend getting one if price etc suits.
Bought mine in 2016, just gone through 2nd mot with no problems, and looking forward to using it for a good few more years yet.

Stay safe

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

thanks guys.

@simonb65 I’m based in Essex. Haven’t driven one yet but planning on doing a test drive before buying.

Around my area they are around £20k for high spec full leather less than 40k miles. 

The thing I like is you don’t see many around and I really like the Yank-tank look!  They have so much presence on the road.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really made me a lot more comfortable purchasing one.

• Like 1

Check it's had the recall done for the air con pulley and if its an auto that the gearbox oil has been changed at 36,000 (4 years). This is critical for the auto box otherwise could be troublesome later on. 
Like all modern cars it suffers with some common problems. These seem to be to do with tailgates, high pressure oil switch (goes into limp mode), sun roof leaking or sticking plus a few others I can't remember. 

I've driven Fords for as long as I can remember and absolutely love the Edge even with its issues. Mine goes back next month 😥 (Kuga PHEV to replace it) and I shall miss it. If they still sold them new I'd have another without a second thought.

One thing, make sure you get one with the LED headlights if possible. The factory LEDs are superb while the standard halogen headlights are like candles. You can convert standard lights to LED Bulbs but they're not adaptive like the factory units. 

Thanks for the advice @Quofan, I’m going to view one tonight and have a test drive!

Is the 36k service an expensive one on the auto box?

• Like 1

Hi David

We have owned ours for just over a year and we love it. It is comfy, eats the miles up, so spacious for rear passengers.   As has been said, there are a few common grumbles but I think that would be fair to say about any car. My nearest Ford dealer ( Colchester ) have played fair with me.

The only thing I would add to the above is to be aware of the potential inflated tax if you find one with lots of options loaded ( you mentioned high spec) - the original owner of mine did the upgraded wheels, Lux pack, heated rear seats, cooling seats, tow bar ( not sure what is/isn't included in the lux pack tbh ) - alas they didn't go for LED headlights - but because that went over £40k, for the first 5 years there is a tax implication - an additional 350(or thereabouts) on top of the standard.  Thought I would mention it as it is potentially a large running cost to consider.

Also, check the rear centre light that runs between the light clusters for water ingress - if you have a problem and it is out of warranty it is an expensive part - don't be fobbed off that it will dry up on its own if you see streaks or puddling (fine mist is said to be okay) .  Not trying to put you off 🙂

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

Thanks for the advice @Quofan, I’m going to view one tonight and have a test drive!

Is the 36k service an expensive one on the auto box?

Had my 36k service done about a year ago. Was something like £750 I think for the full service and gearbox fluid change. The 18k service was something like £200 I think off the top of my head.

Had mine almost 3 years now and done around 25k miles in it myself. Enjoy the car, mainly for the looks, have no need for something of its size but it's nice looking car. Done some long drives in it to south eastern-ish Europe with days up to 13 hours driving and its extremely comfortable I find.

I've got a fully spec'd sport model and am very pleased with the adaptive LED headlights albeit having to get one replaced under warranty due to the common issue of them failing. Like, others, had multiple problems over the years but touch wood, haven't had any problems for the past year.

Had the test drive and I really like it, although because of COVID everything was wrapped in plastic including the steering wheel and seats!

@Trent Edge you say you like others have had multiple problems, are these just usual car issues or expensive common faults?

@DavidW I had mine from new (210PS Sport with Lux Pack .. Nov/Dec 2016 .. almost 4 years and 23K miles) and the potential issues are (I've only seen a few of them) ...

• A number of recalls (Curtain Airbag, Adaptive Steering Wheel, A/C Pully) which every 2016/2017 Edge will have had (routine). Looks like the US/Canada are having a recall for front brake hoses so should reach the UK at some point.
  • You have the fuel sloshing noise (below 1/3 full) which some have had rectified with padded tank straps (I haven't and I don't notice it anymore!).
  • Some have had issues with sticking sunroofs (usually because of poor or insufficient lubrication on the plastic sliders).
  • Batteries that suddenly die (<10.5v) which mine did at 10 months old and after a night on a battery conditioning charge it has been ok for the last 3 years (they don't fully condition them at manufacture!).
  • The tailgate occasionally doesn't close and lock (uneven ground, poor alignment or faulty lift motors), I've not seen the issue for over a year now I don't park in such a way the body twists (alignment in my case).
  • Some have had cracking glass on the pano roof (stress/impact?). Not been an issue for me.
  • Body panel alignment isn't great but can be fixed if it's an issue.
  • Alloy corrosion around the wheel nuts (mine hasn't!) and/or blistering alloys.
  • Halogen headlights are poor to average (you can replace with LED's, but the adaptive headlights are better ... but some have had issues with those).
  • Rear light clusters fog up and don't clear of water (not had that myself).
  • The latest issue with ageing edges is an oil pressure switch/solenoid that fails (its used to allow more oil to circulate under high loads) ... mine hasn't yet, but I'm preparing for it! (Car goes into limp home mode).
  • Some have reported that the OEM discs don't last (I'm still on my original set of disks and pads).

We have a Titanium Manual 180 C/W Lux Pack, just over 3 years old 56,000miles and the only problem was once it came up on the dash AWD not working, never done it again. Love the car and would have another one. Still on original pads and 2nd set of pads all round. Went through MOT with no problems.

Thanks everyone for the bits to look out for. The one I looked at today seemed nice and clean. Didn’t notice any fogging on the light bar etc.

@undercoveredge Interesting point you make about the tax as I had read about that elsewhere. Is there anyway of checking online if that applies to this vehicle? 

Thanks

thanks guys.
[mention=80485]simonb65[/mention] I’m based in Essex. Haven’t driven one yet but planning on doing a test drive before buying.
Around my area they are around £20k for high spec full leather less than 40k miles. 
The thing I like is you don’t see many around and I really like the Yank-tank look!  They have so much presence on the road.
Thanks for all the advice guys, really made me a lot more comfortable purchasing one.
Hi All

In the 4+ years of ownership, I suppose you could say that I have only seen about 10 other Edge's on the road.
I too am in the Essex area (SouthEast, by the sea), yet whenever I ask my dealer, he tells me that Eag sold quite a few Edges (don't know where though, as not a common sight in my local).

Stay safe

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your comments. I put down a deposit on this one today!

2017 17 plate Titanium 210PS w/ Lux Pack. Its done 38k miles and had its 36k gearbox service done and all recalls (thanks for the tip on these!)

Looks in really good shape and drives nice. 

£19,800, dealer wouldn't budge on price unfortunately but I managed to squeeze a full tank of diesel out of them 😀

@undercoveredge I checked the tax on https://cartaxcheck.co.uk/ and it doesn't mention about the additional surcharge so I checked a Vignale edge and it said about the £320 extra so I guess my one fell under the threshold luckily! But thanks for letting me know otherwise it can be an additional cost that people may not necessarily budget for.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

655d869e6e6542dba47acf5b7c0110c9.jpg

6d306de68cb149ef95ca53b71cac0cd7.jpg

• Like 1

@DavidW Your car might have just sneaked under the £40K threshold. To be a 17 plate it must have been after 1st March 17 registered. It was March 1st 17, where they changed the tax rules for these ‘terrible guzzling diesels”. I got my 210ps Sport l (230ps on Etis) registered late January 17 and mine was just over £39K new. The prices went up in March 17 and my car would have been £41K, had I waited for a 17 plate instead of the 66 I got (I have a personalised plate anyway). My tax was £165, but would have been £300+.  If your car was under £40K when registered as a 17 plate, the tax would only have been £145. 

from my perspective, I’ve had very few issues. Water droplets in all rear lights replaced under warranty. A second offside rear light unit also replaced for the same reason. Recall for the aircon pulley, again no cost to me. Otherwise there are a few electronic gremlins, but none seem to register fault codes. Wipers that stop wiping, hand tap lock sensor on drivers door occasionally not working are two that come to mind. These are fixed with a stop, turn off, lock, open, re-start. Bit like ctrl+alt+delete on a computer !

I love my Edge. Despite the niggles, it’s a great big confortable cruiser with loads of room for people and ‘stuff’ !

2 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

@DavidW Your car might have just sneaked under the £40K threshold. To be a 17 plate it must have been after 1st March 17 registered. It was March 1st 17, where they changed the tax rules for these ‘terrible guzzling diesels”.

Not quite true, it was April 1st 2017.  So the first month of 17 plates were still on the old system...no idea why it didn't coincide with the plate change though!

Apologies yes 1st April for the tax changes. 

• Like 1

@Edge of Reason It says it was registered on the 28 Apr 2017 so it must have been just under £40k -  only thing noticeable that it doesn't have are LED headlights or a tow-bar. LED lights might have just added too much value to the car. To be fair if i was buying it new, I would have been careful with the extras to keep it under £40k as apposed to paying the government extortion for 5 years!

Deffo something for second hand buyers to be aware of though as from reading it runs until the car is 6 years old as the first year is counted as 0 - I might be wrong though! It could make a good deal on a car turn sour pretty quickly, probably only realise once you've brought it and stuck with an unexpected bill for the next few years.

I can relate to the "turn if off and on again" strategy as I work in IT!

@DavidW - Those two extras were about £1700 together. Could well be the difference.  The thing that folk forget is that the taxation is worked out on list price, so for arguments sake, if the dealer were to kindly knock £3K off so you pay under £40K, you’d still pay the higher tax as the list price was over £40K. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2020 at 6:20 PM, DavidW said:

Had the test drive and I really like it, although because of COVID everything was wrapped in plastic including the steering wheel and seats!

@Trent Edge you say you like others have had multiple problems, are these just usual car issues or expensive common faults?

I bought my Edge at 11 months old, ex managers car, with 15k miles, in the almost 3 years now and 25k miles. I've heard of all the ones in Simons list but had the following issues with mine...

- Curtain Airbag, Adaptive Steering and AC Recalls.
- My sunroof became stuck which required warranty work. Something to do with the rails they told me.
- Small amount of corrosion on the alloys, very small though still.
- Adaptive LED headlight kept failing. Eventually replaced under warranty when taken to the dealership with the engine still running and fault on dash. Kept fobbing me off prior to that.
- Sunglasses holder broke after 1 year, replaced under warranty.
- Only once had the message pop up on Sync2 for a day "Entertainment Unavailable" and no music/radio would work, but no problems since.

Like any modern car really, all have issues here and there but still like the car.

38 minutes ago, Trent Edge said:

Like any modern car really, all have issues here and there but still like the car.

I think that hits the nail on the head ... ALL cars have issues. The most likely thing for people to post on forums are issues, so on the surface things look bad, but there are probably far more who have had few or no issues than those that have. Some of early adopters have had to endure the pain of Fords technical support and their poor training schedule of their technicians (6 months after the first cars were first delivered!).

You can't help but like it as a car though... good or bad!

• Like 1

Mine is the 2018 (registered) 235bhp Sport model with the Lux Pack (auto) in Ingot Silver 

It was originally registered by a Ford Dealer and was their dealer principal's car

Original price was £41k and i bought it 8 months old with 15,000 miles on it for £28k

Unfortunately that means i am paying the higher road fund licence for the first 5 years

However on saying that i love the car

First thing i did was get the original headlights (candles) changed for LED's, and that made a big difference

In terms of problems, i have had the adaptive steering failure (fixed under warranty), and also the dual tone horn go "mono", also fixed under warranty

It is 3 years old next April, although when i bought it off the dealer i did negotiate the extended warranty to 5 years as part of the "package"

My rear light cluster does mist up quite badly, so i will take it back to Ford for that to be looked at under the 3 year warranty before next March / April

I live in Shropshire and there are a couple of Edge's i see occasionally ( a Gold one and a Black one), but it is a car that is conspicuous by its absence

Finally i was at the local recycling centre last week, and a bloke pulled up beside me in a Mondeo ST sport model.  When he got out he looked at the Edge and just said wow, what is that, it looks fantastic.  Always makes you feel a bit better for the rest of the day!

Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club