Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendations for EFB Stop-Start battery

mjt

As expected our 8-year old battery has died so I'm looking for a good replacement. I know this subject has been covered fairly extensively on this forum but whatever search terms I put in I can't find any of those old threads so I'd be grateful for suggestions. The existing battery is 60AH, 590CCA, Part BV6N-10655-AA, Finis code. 1 693 470

TIA.

I have been using Varta batteries for many Years (the original Ford batteries are also produced by Varta). 

The Varta Blue Dynamic D54 EFB battery is a direct replacement for the Ford T6 battery that is currently installed into your car. 

As an alternative the higher capacity Varta Blue Dynamic E46 EFB battery can also be used. This battery is a direct replacement for the Ford T6 battery. When installing a different capacity battery the battery type in the Central Car Configuration needs to be changed. 

Before the new battery is installed you need to make sure that the battery is fully charged. After the battery is installed the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) needs to be reset. 

Thank you very much Wilco. It's useful to know I need a direct replacement to avoid having to change the battery type.

I plan to maintain the 12V supply whilst changing the battery to retain learned values, then reset the BMS. Do you see any problem with that?

I've ordered that Varta battery from battery Megastore for £108.50 with free next-day delivery. Having scraped in 4 minutes before the 4:30pm cut-off for orders I'm expecting it today.

Never used battery Megastore but their prices look OK, and free next day delivery got to be worth a go, let us know if it all goes to plan.

Having worked with battery Megastore on a commercial basis for years I can't fault them, helpful and knowledgeable so should go to plan I think.

Cant go wrong with Varta.

That's nice to know. The only downer is the free next-day delivery turns out to be next-working-day where Saturday is not a working day, so I'm not getting it until tomorrow (Monday). Not a major problem though.

This doesn't look so good. The battery arrived today and as advised by @JW1982 ("Before the new battery is installed you need to make sure that the battery is fully charged") I put it on my CTEK intelligent charger. After about 3 hours it's reached stage 4 but it's leaked quite a puddle of what I assume to be battery acid from the vent holes. I've left it for the charger to complete its cycle and to see if any more leaks out. I'm hoping it's just either been over-filled or not kept properly upright in transit but if the latter I worry that it might now have lost some acid.

I assume that new battery has no vent plugs, i.e it's sealed. There should be no leaks or puddles from it. Could it be that during transport a microcrack developed and leaks now when battery is under gas pressure from charging?

Anyway, useful link for all about batteries is: http://www.batteryfaq.org

Varta EFB batteries do have a vent opening according to DIN standards. The larger models even have 2 vent openings. On these Batteries Varta supplies a plastic plug to plug one of these holes.

A new battery should not leak while being charged. IT suggests that the battery may have been transported incorrectly.

There was, indeed, a warning notice to remove the plugs. I thought it was abnormal for it to be leaking whilst on charge.

It has now been on the charger for around 5 hours and has still not completed the cycle. During stage 4 the charger maintains 14.4V and checks for a declining charge current to determine full charge. This suggests that it is not reaching full charge. This stage should take no more than a maximum of 8 hours so if it gets to that time without completing the cycle it would indicate a fault of some kind..

3 hours ago, mjt said:

There was, indeed, a warning notice to remove the plugs. I thought it was abnormal for it to be leaking whilst on charge.

It has now been on the charger for around 5 hours and has still not completed the cycle. During stage 4 the charger maintains 14.4V and checks for a declining charge current to determine full charge. This suggests that it is not reaching full charge. This stage should take no more than a maximum of 8 hours so if it gets to that time without completing the cycle it would indicate a fault of some kind..

It is abnormal to have a leak during charging. Where are the puddles, all around or concentrated on few spots? If puddles are large battery may be running out of electrolyte so keeping it at charger makes no sense and may damage the battery. If you have a voltmeter check the charging voltage. Wear safety glasses!!!

I had a look at the D54 data sheet and I do not see any vent plugs or to be more accurate filler plugs,this battery is sealed with vent at each end I assume, so it's difficult to asses the electrolyte level in the cells. 

Recheck the warranty for a possible return...

14 minutes ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

It is abnormal to have a leak during charging. Where are the puddles, all around or concentrated on few spots? If puddles are large battery may be running out of electrolyte so keeping it at charger makes no sense and may damage the battery. If you have a voltmeter check the charging voltage. Wear safety glasses!!!

The puddle was accumulating around the base of the battery which is standing on an old oilcloth. The electrolyle was dribbling out of the two small vents at the top at each end. The quantity involved was probably less than it appeared. The charging voltage was about 14.5V

14 minutes ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

I had a look at the D54 data sheet and I do not see any vent plugs or to be more accurate filler plugs,this battery is sealed with vent at each end I assume, so it's difficult to asses the electrolyte level in the cells.

You won't see conventional vent/filler plugs. The top is, as you discovered, sealed with just two small vents one at each end. These were plugged for transport and a notice was attached to remove the plugs before use.

I have been in contact with the supplier and spoke with a technician. He was familiar with the charger I'm using and confirmed that the charging voltage was fine. His opinion was that the vent channels had become filled with electrolyte due to the battery not being kept properly upright during transport and it has been expelled due to gassing. This is what I suspected.

The charger has now completed it's cycle after over 7 hours and no further electrolyte has appeared so I will be fitting the battery tomorrow if I can dodge the effects of storm Francis.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club