Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed oil, now car won't start

mjt

2 hours ago, Freeze said:

Disabling S/S permanently would technically mean your car is not up to pollution specs anymore, since you are preventing pollution reducing systems from working. IDK if that would be a problem anywhere, but I think the MOT tests might have something to say about it.

I'm curious - how on earth would an MOT center know that the stop/start system is not working? Judging by the 100s of posts I see here on it not working without any intervention from owners, it's an exceptionally common issue LOL

It might have an OBD indicator for that? In here, your OBD's gotta have a green screen, if you want your MOT test to pass.

I could just press the button but I keep forgetting 😁

I can't see it being an MOT failure if it is something you can switch off surely. How is being able to switch it off every time you get in the car different to switching it off permanently?

Stop/start has very little to do with emissions, more for mpg. 

Couldn't possibly be checked at the MOT as the emissions tests checks gases when engine is running, rather than over the course of a normal drive. 

if it drives in to a MOT centre its almost guaranteed a pass....   the level of expertise involved in checking is about as hard a pumping up a tyre

5 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

Stop/start has very little to do with emissions, more for mpg. 

kind of.  the emissions are what's happening when its running, the real driver was more car sales and the ability on paper to drop the manufacturer CO2 across the range it produces

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/co2-emissions-limits-europe/

European Union emissions regulation: new cars sold in the region must emit on average 95g/km of CO2 by 2021

• Like 1

Stop start is purely for emissions...

My Golf is a Bluemotion Tech model...it's exactly the same as the other models, but includes stop start which saves me £90 a year in VED compared to those! :biggrin:

VW have been very good at getting big diesels into the £30 tax bracket, stop start is the easiest method!  (After cheat maps of course :tongue: )

The real world bonus of stop start is that it reduces emmisions in built up areas.  While you're idling at a town centre junction, you're blowing unnecessary NOx and particulates directly towards people on the pavement, waiting at the crossing, inside the offices with open windows, even inside town centre flats.  I've always lived in rural areas and was amazed at the difference in air quality when my Nan moved to a town centre sheltered flat.  Her breathing issues got worse.  Definitely not helped by the taxis parked idling under her window for hours on end.  

Each to thier own, but I quite like stop start myself.  Haven't had any issues from it yet personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Botus said:

kind of.  the emissions are what's happening when its running, the real driver was more car sales and the ability on paper to drop the manufacturer CO2 across the range it produces

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/co2-emissions-limits-europe/

European Union emissions regulation: new cars sold in the region must emit on average 95g/km of CO2 by 2021

yeah sorry what I was getting at was in the context of MOT which was being talked about stop/start has nothing to do with emissions testing 

Thank you for clearing that out ... my language skills hit the barrier.

What I'm trying to express that if you do a permanent solution to disable S/S, your car does not match the pollution limits it was sold with in the beginning, which technically might make it ... what's the wording ...even technically illegal to drive in some metropolitan areas. The risk for getting caught is probably non-existent, but the fact is, that the car is not anymore as clean-running as it was when sold to you.

S/S is also used to reduce pollution in city areas, not just mpg. It's a part of the ever continuing pollution reduction game. Disabling S/S from the switch is OK, of course, but the "permanent" solution might lit the check engine light up.

39 minutes ago, Freeze said:

What I'm trying to express that if you do a permanent solution to disable S/S, your car does not match the pollution limits it was sold with in the beginning, which technically might make it ... what's the wording ...even technically illegal to drive in some metropolitan areas. The risk for getting caught is probably non-existent, but the fact is, that the car is not anymore as clean-running as it was when sold to you.

Respectfully, this is a pretty non existent argument, and would apply to numerous car owner 'modifications'. I can assure you that all the bodykits and spoilers I fitted in the past to various cars absolutely detracted from the stated drag coefficient that the car was released with, hence destroying their stated efficiency (fuel or otherwise). Manufacturers spend £Millions on developing a car to a 'standard', once you get Jimmy in his shed altering any bit of that, well, it won't be factory spec any longer...

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Manufacturers spend £Millions on developing a car to a 'standard'

Pity they don't spend some of it on developing their software properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Freeze said:

Thank you for clearing that out ... my language skills hit the barrier.

S/S is also used to reduce pollution in city areas, not just mpg. It's a part of the ever continuing pollution reduction game. Disabling S/S from the switch is OK, of course, but the "permanent" solution might lit the check engine light up.

but if you never hit traffic stop start will never activate....

it would appear what you're proposing is the guy who drives now and then on quiet roads should pay just as much as the scum bag blocking the streets and causing pollution outside schools and throwing out mega pollution driving big miles, so long as he wears out the engine in town using stop start?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club