Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St line 2020 bumper replaced with mismatched color?

KhaosHammer

Hi there ford owners!

First post for the first Ford I ever owned!

So, I recently bought a 2020 ST-Line, it's just about 2 months old now, and while parking near some restaurants some jackass hit my rear bumper..

left a really nasty surprise when I came back to my car (Also, I proposed to my GF now fiancee the same evening.. so this kinda ruined it) pics at the end.

So a few days after I went to my authorized ford repair shop to have it check out and fixed, at the end after some consultation with the car body repairman and the appraiser the insurnace company sent, it was decided that the rear bumper will be completely replaced with a brand new one.

Fast forward a few days later, I came back to my car at the repair shop to be extra pleased to see a brand new painted bumper on my car - or so I thought..

Figures out a day later I noticed that the bumper slightly differs in color to the rest of the car (even the front bumper, which is plastic as well, but is 99% similar to the sheet metal paint)

So I was wandering.. do I need to wait for the fresh new paint to... I don't know... cure completely? Or maybe does it need to be polished and waxed? or maybe should I return to the repair shop to have it repainted?

I do need some assistance to understand what the heck is going on and how to address it.. i'm clueless as to what should I do now.. its a new car - and it bums me.

Here some pics for understanding the ordeal:

https://imgur.com/a/IEwku1c

both the damage (with the original color) and the new bumper.

Thanks a lot all!

• Sad 1

Hi there ford owners!
First post for the first Ford I ever owned!
So, I recently bought a 2020 ST-Line, it's just about 2 months old now, and while parking near some restaurants some jackass hit my rear bumper..
left a really nasty surprise when I came back to my car (Also, I proposed to my GF now fiancee the same evening.. so this kinda ruined it) pics at the end.
So a few days after I went to my authorized ford repair shop to have it check out and fixed, at the end after some consultation with the car body repairman and the appraiser the insurnace company sent, it was decided that the rear bumper will be completely replaced with a brand new one.
Fast forward a few days later, I came back to my car at the repair shop to be extra pleased to see a brand new painted bumper on my car - or so I thought..
Figures out a day later I noticed that the bumper slightly differs in color to the rest of the car (even the front bumper, which is plastic as well, but is 99% similar to the sheet metal paint)
So I was wandering.. do I need to wait for the fresh new paint to... I don't know... cure completely? Or maybe does it need to be polished and waxed? or maybe should I return to the repair shop to have it repainted?
I do need some assistance to understand what the heck is going on and how to address it.. i'm clueless as to what should I do now.. its a new car - and it bums me.
Here some pics for understanding the ordeal:
https://imgur.com/a/IEwku1c
both the damage (with the original color) and the new bumper.
Thanks a lot all!

Looks to me that they’ve not colour matched at all and the replacement is a lighter shade. I’d be taking it back to who did the work and having a word!

I reckon they’ve just gone straight off the colour code and not bothered to blend or match the original. It may be my eyes, but it doesn’t look like the clear coat has been sanded and polished to remove the ‘orange peel effect’.

After applying the clear coat over the colour coat, you’re supposed to wet sand and polish out to get a smooth shine. Again, could be my eyes or the camera angle but I wouldn’t be happy with that one bit pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ring your insurance company and tell them your not happy after all the pay the bill , and go back to the Bodyshop and ask them to repaint the bumper 

• Like 1

Take it back. I’d definitely get the insurance company involved too. 

btw congratulations 

The question is whether the repair shop ordered a complete already painted bumper from Ford or ordered an unpainted bumper which they painted themselves. 

The complete already painted parts that can be ordered from Ford are painted by the original manufacturer of the particular part and supplied to Ford. It is not uncommon that these parts can have a slight color difference. Especially since some colors are very hard to become a perfect match. 

If the new bumper has been painted by the repair shop they failed to match the color. 

Either way you should complain and demand that the issue must be solved. 

Complain via your insurer, that is who your contract is with. Also, if you don't advise them they can't take action that may benefit others who use that repair shop in the future.

15 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The question is whether the repair shop ordered a complete already painted bumper from Ford or ordered an unpainted bumper which they painted themselves. 

The complete already painted parts that can be ordered from Ford are painted by the original manufacturer of the particular part and supplied to Ford. It is not uncommon that these parts can have a slight color difference. Especially since some colors are very hard to become a perfect match. 

If the new bumper has been painted by the repair shop they failed to match the color. 

Either way you should complain and demand that the issue must be solved. 

I've been to the repair shop when the bumper arrived, it was not pre painted, it was matte black... believe it came with only the base layer painted on it

Wanted to say thanks to all of you. 

Will be contacting both the insurance company and the repair shop hoping to get it fixed asap

Thanks alot!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KhaosHammer said:

Wanted to say thanks to all of you. 

Will be contacting both the insurance company and the repair shop hoping to get it fixed asap

Thanks alot!

Best of luck. 
Stand your ground . 

I've been to the repair shop when the bumper arrived, it was not pre painted, it was matte black... believe it came with only the base layer painted on it

Sounds like it came pre-primed and all they had to do was look for any imprecations and rectify where necessary, build up and paint the colour layer then and a layer of clear coat. Make sure when you do get the colour sorted that there isn’t any orange peel with the clear coat. They will need to sand and polish the clear coat roughly 24hours or so after applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club