Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre size

Akira14

As a tyre snob, mainly because my father worked at Michelin for years I'm getting really annoyed with Ford over their tyre size especially for my Smax. If I get a Pilot sport 3 or 4 it's going to cost me about £150 per corner for 235/45/18. I've got a mate who has got a Golf and he's just got Pilot sport 4 for £105 per corner just because of his size 225/40/18. It's so annoying.

So basically what I'm wondering is has anyone put a different size tyre on their rim and if so would it really make a difference to the safety of the car as you are really only going down 10 mm.

I'd be more concerned about the insurance implications if you don't fit the correct size tyres.

Could give the underwriters a good excuse to not pay out.

• Like 1

I agree with Alex re insurance, and what would be the difference in rolling radius between 235/45 and 225/40 ???

I agree with the above too.

I considered a wider tyre for my car just so I could try some Goodyears (they don't make the tyre I wanted in my size), but in the end I decided against for this reason and that it would have been too close to the shock absorber.

For me, I knew how much the tyres were when I was looking to buy my car and was fully prepared to pay the price. Just bought 4 x 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's at £188 each (which is a good price) but I also got £100 cash back in total from Michelin's current promotion (Ends on 31st August though).

On 8/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, Akira14 said:

as you are really only going down 10 mm.

I dare you to say that to the tyre fitter when he's fighting with the machine to get the tyres to sit on properly 😂😂.

Plus of you did fit those tyres your speedo will read around 5% over what it does now. So when your speedo says 60mph, you'll actually be doing more like 57.

As a tyre snob, mainly because my father worked at Michelin for years I'm getting really annoyed with Ford over their tyre size especially for my Smax. If I get a Pilot sport 3 or 4 it's going to cost me about £150 per corner for 235/45/18. I've got a mate who has got a Golf and he's just got Pilot sport 4 for £105 per corner just because of his size 225/40/18. It's so annoying.

So basically what I'm wondering is has anyone put a different size tyre on their rim and if so would it really make a difference to the safety of the car as you are really only going down 10 mm.

Perhaps your issue should be with your beloved Michelin for charging more for a slightly bigger tyre. Not ford for choosing the optimum tyre size for the type and size of vehicle. 

There was / is a tyre chart option on Blackcircles which allows you to compare tyre sizes due to car make model and to be within legal tolerances. 

I've just had a quick look but could find the chart ( it allows you to tinker with alternatives). 

Perhaps it's been removed ? 

A bit of time on Google and you should be able to find it. Good luck. 

On 8/31/2020 at 4:12 PM, Akira14 said:

Thanks for the link, it looks like there is a lot of scope with tyre selection

Screenshot_20200831-161031.jpg

That's correct, however every single one of them other than 235/45/r18 will adjust your speedo... 235 is the width, 45 the profile and 18 is 18inch wheel. You can't fit a different tyre than that unless you have a different wheel size. Stretching tyres is just a bad idea lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Need 2 front new ones on my focus 215 50 r17 all 4 have michelin primacy hp on . Just wondering if anyone thinks i should go for these again or any cheaper alternatives?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Morty1977 said:

Need 2 front new ones on my focus 215 50 r17 all 4 have michelin primacy hp on . Just wondering if anyone thinks i should go for these again or any cheaper alternatives?

I personally run Pilot Sport 4's, but there's always debates on which tyres are the best and it's just down to personal opinion at the end of the day.

If the primacys work for you then just stick with them. Uniroyal, Continental, Avon, Goodyear etc. are all decent makes and will be fine for your needs. 

Basically just avoid the nin-yong-ching-chong crap.

• Like 3

My Fiesta came with PS 4 as standard and I have found them very good grip-wise, though whether they are actually necessary/worthwhile on a 1.0 ecoboost I do wonder.

Generally, being no tyre expert, I tend to stick with what was on the car originally if I've found them satisfactory, provided they are a decent quality tyre not a "budget" brand.

I've had Primacy in the past on cars with a fair bit more oomph than my current Fiesta and found them quite satisfactory, with a decent rate of wear. They are also, according to the Michelin website, a couple of decibels quieter than the PS 4.

My 12 reg focus s is fitted with 18 in ,40s  , they are so ***** noisy, driving is unpleasant  on some! or most roads , so much so I am considering   going  over to,16 in wheels , which are , I think the standard fit for the focus, am I correct in my way of thinking?

9 minutes ago, robdalej said:

My 12 reg focus s is fitted with 18 in ,40s  , they are so ***** noisy, driving is unpleasant  on some! or most roads , so much so I am considering   going  over to,16 in wheels , which are , I think the standard fit for the focus, am I correct in my way of thinking?

Zetec S got 17s as standard which should be an improvement over the 18s.  Comfort models like Titanium got 16s but also got smoother suspension as well.

My zetec has 17's on think it's a good ride personally

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club