Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wobble

casuk

Hi all, i have a slight wobble on my steering wheel at low speeds around 20/40mph goes away at a higher speed, i took it to a garage (tyre city) as I was driving by, once it was on the lift he showed me that the tyre is not 100% round there is a slightly higher point as the wheel turns, he said I need a new tyre and also said I need the tie rod replaced too, i seen the tyre has a higher point and low point as it turned, I'm just wondering if its safe to drive on as cant get it booked in untill wed and need to do a long run tomorrow morning, plus that same garage tried to charge me £400 for a new dpf when it was an egr valve I needed, 

As long the tyre itself isn't in bad condition I don't see why not all it will do is vibrate the steering. This tyre has probably caused the tie rod to fail as well.

If the tie rod is really bad and has loads of excessive movement in it then I wouldn't recommend driving it just incase it fails altogether. 

• Like 1

It seems fine except the wobble in the steering I have another wheel with a good tyre on it but I can get the lug nut off its chewed, think I'll take it down get a tyre fitted for the run on monday and then into the garage on wed 

Have you tried hammering a socket on to it? They're only soft so it usually will straighten it out. You'll have fun trying to get the socket back off though 😂

• Like 1

Yeah was my first though lol I didnt want to do that then I couldn't get it back on, think ill just try that anyway 

Screwdriver and hammer through the other end of the socket 👍 if not lob it at the ground a few times and hope it comes loose 

• Like 1

If it gets stuck, just screw it back on by a few threads and wobble the socket off, ideally using an extension for leverage.

• Like 1

That's also good I forgot about that one!

• Like 1

I didnt want to force it so brought it down to a tyre fitter and give him a tenner to swap the wheel over and he even swapped a lug nut for one in beter condition, no more wobble,I now feel a lot more confident in driving to Loch lomond tomorrow, that tyre city are robbing b*****s 

36 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If it gets stuck, just screw it back on by a few threads and wobble the socket off, ideally using an extension for leverage.

That's what the tyre fitter done he said he hates them and the ones on land rovers especially, raging about that tyre looks brand new aswel 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club