Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kuga 1.5 diesel, juddering hesatating, no power

Don't Buy Ford

Thanks for that info, Hopefully when Ford get their act together, it will be another diesel. When my 1.5 is running (says he with fingers crossed) it regularly comes in around 55-57 mpg - 😂

I've had no issues with my 182, and I don't think any of the rest of us on here have?  MPG is pants though I'll give you that. 😀

You have to wonder though how long Ford will do diesel, with all the hate around it, and with them moving to hybrid/electric.

Intresting read. Is this the same 1.5 diesel unit thats in the mk4 focus ? 

Ours is almost 18 months old with just over 9k miles on the clock and not had any of the issues mentioned as of yet. My daily commute is now down to a round trip of 12.5 miles.

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I've had no issues with my 182, and I don't think any of the rest of us on here have?  MPG is pants though I'll give you that. 😀

You have to wonder though how long Ford will do diesel, with all the hate around it, and with them moving to hybrid/electric.

Looking at your signature you have a 2019 model, which has a slightly detuned engine in comparison to the 2017 spec we had. According to Fords own figures they lost a few horses but the emissions went up. If you look at the Facebook groups there are a few out there with the original 1.5 petrol 182 AWD Auto with engine problems. Personally, I think they tried squeezing a bit too much out of that little engine.

Our MPG was in the low to mid 20's after we had the 2nd engine fitted, but that only lasted for a few hundred miles and it was back to 18's again on a good day. Was a fun drive from Devon to Worthing watching the mileage creep up. As soon as it got just over 4000miles on the 2nd engine we had a bang from the front end coming off a roundabout. Was OK'ish cruising along the A27 but as soon as we hit traffic she could barely idle, had to floor the throttle just to get it moving and a few times had to drop in to neutral to get the revs back up to stop it dieing completey. Exactly the same symptoms as the first engine failure at 4000 miles so we knew what it was and with our 18mth old on board I wasn't stopping 10 miles from home.

Poor guy on the 1st recovery truck tried driving it up the ramp and it just couldn't do it, had to be winched up. 2nd recovery was AA and came with some awesome 4 wheel hitch type thing stored in the back of his transit that just unfolded out.

Turns out the 1st engine lost cylinder 1, and the second engine lost cylinder 2 and wrecked the turbo.

With Ford's current hybrid issues, they may want to stick with diesels for a little while longer 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Intresting read. Is this the same 1.5 diesel unit thats in the mk4 focus ? 

Ours is almost 18 months old with just over 9k miles on the clock and not had any of the issues mentioned as of yet. My daily commute is now down to a round trip of 12.5 miles.

It's not the same engine, the mk4 focus' have the new 1.5tdci in. 

Strange - I replied to the last post a few days ago and it is not here now?

6 minutes ago, Don't Buy Ford said:

Strange - I replied to the last post a few days ago and it is not here now?

Maybe your car is going round deleting posts now as well as it's own fault codes! 😮 

I have spoken to quite a few Kuga drivers (2L and 1.5 diesel) and none of them have any issues at all, only one with a sync 3 issue resolved with an update. The juddering on my Kuga seems to have vanished now, only to be replaced by a violent shaking of the car, which Ford don't even acknowledge as existing, even though when it happens the exhaust temperature sensor tells me it's getting hot and I should pull over, followed by the service light coming on. On the last two occassions the AA came out and on both occasions found fault codes, but still Ford will not acknowledge a problem.

I decided to reject the vehicle - as the faults were the ones I originally reported to them within the twelve month warranty period and had not being fixed. They have now rejected my claim stating that the car is supposed to judder, as per a Ford  bulletin issued by Ford technical. I am now writing a lengthy letter to be sent to various car mags and papers, hopefully that will get somewhere.

WHO SELLS A CAR THAT THEY KNOW JUDDERS, LOSSES POWER, SHAKES AND IS TOTALLY UNTRUSTWORTHY..............FORD

On the fault code thing, as mentioned on the last two occasions it has been  seen by the AA, they found and reported fault codes, which they left on the vehicle for Ford to read. Yet in the rejection refusal, Ford say that their were only faults available on one occasion. Is the car playing up again or are Ford lying.😫

2 hours ago, Don't Buy Ford said:

On the fault code thing, as mentioned on the last two occasions it has been  seen by the AA, they found and reported fault codes, which they left on the vehicle for Ford to read. Yet in the rejection refusal, Ford say that their were only faults available on one occasion. Is the car playing up again or are Ford lying.😫

I'd guess Ford are lying.  I've never seen fault codes disappear on their own.  The engine light should go out if everything is ok by the next start, but a code should still be stored in the PCM and show as 'not currently present'.  What's the point of a fault code that's gone by the time you get to scan it!?  

Regarding the juddering and other Kuga drivers being pleased with their cars...a lot of drivers are just completely oblivious to anything going on with their car.  As I've said before, I can always tell when a regen is occurring or is about to occur because of a difference in power, noise, juddering, jerking, etc. but many people on forums say they've never noticed one, sometimes adamant they've gone 50k without one ever happening lol.  Obviously there is a limit, and if it genuinely feels dangerous or is triggering warning lights then yours does appear to have a problem, but I've never driven a DPF car where the regen didn't cause some 'discomfort' compared to normal driving.

So I have another 1.5tdci Kuga in at the moment with the exact same problem. 18 months old, only done 8200 miles. Contacted the engineers about the fault and apparently there is a team investigating it. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for taking the time to read and add to this conversation.

The juddering started off very slightly after a couple of months and developed into what I call damn dangerous, especially when overtaking and the car decides it will start juddering badly, causing power to fail. I have had three overtaking manoeuvres aborted due to this -  not nice getting into the opposite lane and then finding you cannot complete the manoeuvre.

The latest incarnation is to start juddering then progress into no power and then the car shakes as if someone has picked it up and is  trying to shake you out of it - really scary.

Interesting point made previously about drivers not knowing anything about the DPF working away unseen. If these drivers were unaware of anything happening as they drove along - shouldn't all cars be like that!

I have now written to the dealership mentioning the consumer rights act of 2015, which mentions items to be sold of good quality and free from faults - lets see where that leads.--------------------------------------------- Just had a reply from that email asking me to go for a test drive with the head technician, to see if we can get the car to start it's shaking again 🤣 it never does it on command, but worth a try.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode

• Like 1

Load it up on the test drive, motorway slip road is ideal...the extra load creates a bigger pressure differential in the DPF which should force a regen to start if it's already on the cusp.  Also explains why it's happening as you go for an overtake...  

Had the test drive, but as it had only covered 195 since it was last in the workshop, it ran perfectly.  I knew it would  as it's mpg was just over 55. It usually runs between 55 and 57, then drops to around 51 a day or two before it throws a wobbler. 

I could load it up as suggested, but was aware from previous experience, that having it in sixth gear and right at the lower end of it's range (before the change down to five arrow comes on), was always the start of the major shaking. But as it was fresh from the workshop and few miles on it and running at 55mpg - IT WAS PERFECT ......damn.

I will be going straight back if the mpg drops to 52 as I know that is when everything happens.

Anyway, eight week notice of ombudsman has been given

• 10 months later...

I bought a zetec 1.5 in June 2019. It 'juddered' to keep in language of the thread. The main dealer retired less than a couple of weeks after I got it and shut up shop. I found this shuddering an issue and thought he hadn't serviced it, the care was 2017 and still under warranty. I took it to the next nearest main dealer, and also was surprised that it hadn't parking sensors. I got these fitted and they did a full service. Still found it shuddering from time to time. Then lockdown came, my warranty expired during it and of course we weren't driving our vehicles etc. but normally I drive several hundred miles a week. Motorways at least twice weekly for a min of 100 miles. I asked local mechanic and the main dealer about this, and also that the fan is running on in a way that I've never heard before. Nothing. I had a problem with the wipers being clogged up and had to have them replaced. Was worried about so much with a car that was so new and I was still paying for. Then this year - after having drives in it, an engine warning light came on. My local mechanic saw that elevated oil light and released it, eventually did oil and filter change. Light was off and back on immediately. He did research and said it needed a software update. I took it to the main dealer. They said there was a recall from Feb 19 on it but never dealt with by other main dealer, or this one when I had it in, nor was I notified by Ford. I booked it in (blue badge) depending on getting it back in time to meet obligations. Got onto Ford CC and they were so apologetic and said they'd contact the main dealer. Left the car in and got a text msg saying DPF regen needed and cost, and oil/filter change and cost. I went back and told them oil etc was just done. Bullied into paying for it to get car back and sorted. First day back drove to the airport to pick up son and grandkids after not seeing them for two years due to lockdown and being vulnerable. The EML came back on. Called the garage immediately and they said that they would look at it again. Got a call saying I needed to replace the DPF at a cost of £1600! Totally outrageous, independent consultant said it should not be the case on such a young vehicle and I had flagged this shuddering issue. I am doing the miles that would burn off in DPF etc. Now the dispute is ongoing with Ford because the car was not recalled when it should have been and warranty expired but they did not say they would service etc during lockdown. Total shambles, would never deal with them again and having had total negative experience with Ford services would not recommend. I got the kuga for its height and space as I'm trying to hold down a job as a disabled personl but it's been a nightmare. Totally negligent on their part. 

15 minutes ago, Annex said:

I drive several hundred miles a week. Motorways at least twice weekly for a min of 100 miles

That's a lot of miles to be doing in Northern Ireland. Do you bring the car over to England anytime, if so it would give a bigger choice of Ford dealers.

18 hours ago, Annex said:

I bought a zetec 1.5 in June 2019. It 'juddered' to keep in language of the thread. The main dealer retired less than a couple of weeks after I got it and shut up shop. I found this shuddering an issue and thought he hadn't serviced it, the care was 2017 and still under warranty. I took it to the next nearest main dealer, and also was surprised that it hadn't parking sensors. I got these fitted and they did a full service. Still found it shuddering from time to time. Then lockdown came, my warranty expired during it and of course we weren't driving our vehicles etc. but normally I drive several hundred miles a week. Motorways at least twice weekly for a min of 100 miles. I asked local mechanic and the main dealer about this, and also that the fan is running on in a way that I've never heard before. Nothing. I had a problem with the wipers being clogged up and had to have them replaced. Was worried about so much with a car that was so new and I was still paying for. Then this year - after having drives in it, an engine warning light came on. My local mechanic saw that elevated oil light and released it, eventually did oil and filter change. Light was off and back on immediately. He did research and said it needed a software update. I took it to the main dealer. They said there was a recall from Feb 19 on it but never dealt with by other main dealer, or this one when I had it in, nor was I notified by Ford. I booked it in (blue badge) depending on getting it back in time to meet obligations. Got onto Ford CC and they were so apologetic and said they'd contact the main dealer. Left the car in and got a text msg saying DPF regen needed and cost, and oil/filter change and cost. I went back and told them oil etc was just done. Bullied into paying for it to get car back and sorted. First day back drove to the airport to pick up son and grandkids after not seeing them for two years due to lockdown and being vulnerable. The EML came back on. Called the garage immediately and they said that they would look at it again. Got a call saying I needed to replace the DPF at a cost of £1600! Totally outrageous, independent consultant said it should not be the case on such a young vehicle and I had flagged this shuddering issue. I am doing the miles that would burn off in DPF etc. Now the dispute is ongoing with Ford because the car was not recalled when it should have been and warranty expired but they did not say they would service etc during lockdown. Total shambles, would never deal with them again and having had total negative experience with Ford services would not recommend. I got the kuga for its height and space as I'm trying to hold down a job as a disabled personl but it's been a nightmare. Totally negligent on their part. 

If I was in your situation I’d be taking a look at a Toyota RAV4 👍

Thanks but I'm not likely to be going to England to find another dealer in practicality but appreciate that there are differences in dealerships. None the less if its a main dealer then they should be able to hold up the standard. Ford Services to date have been infuriating to deal with and now am looking at the legal route. Fault and recall have been there before I bought the car and should have been notified just by my number or reg. It should have showed up and several different times they could have contacted when it was fully in warranty. They are now saying as 'good will' they will offer £470 towards replacement but I'd be out of pocket for the other £1200, plus the £200 I've already paid them and for the oil filter and change in the nearest garage that they just overshot and did again and charged me. So at this point and facing back into work travel from next week, legal seems all I'm left with. 

In hindsight the Toyota would possibly be a better choice, don't know much about Ravs but possibly for the future. Now I've a car I just spent a lot of dosh buying, only had it a wet day and hasn't even had one MOT yet. Unlikely I could go through a trade in, sale or anything else with an engine warning light coming on or parts failing in it. Catch 22 situation at the moment. Thanks for the advice but had read good reviews for the Kuga and influenced by a trouble free experience with C-max previously. When shopping around I looked at quite a few with height and space and visited several sales garages. Asking the guys who had repaired my previous cars, all said that it was a good vehicle in general. Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it. As usual, ran fine on test drives because in general they are short and wasn't able to 'borrow' it for trial period. I think I'd opt for that in the future. That said it would only flag up a warning if it was the actual vehicle I was getting and not just a trial model. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club