Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta B&O no audio - stuck on 0

FezMan

Hi all,

bit of a problem here that hopefully someone can help with. 

I have a 2017 Fiesta titanium (new shape) which has the B&O Speakers. Yesterday I turned the car on and there was a sort of crack/pop from the Speakers and now there is no audio from the radio. The reverse sensors and indicator noses, door open chimes etc all work fine, but the radio etc is now just stuck on volume 0 and I can’t get any sound. 

ive tried a master reset, disconnected the battery and also checked the fuse (I think the correct fuse, was number 23 or 24 off the top of my head) and that hadn’t broken. 

any ideas? Currently have it booked in with ford but not for another 2 weeks 

I wonder if your DSP (digital sound processing module)... Basically an amp has either blown it's fuse or failed. I think the module itself sits under your driver's seat. 

8 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

I wonder if your DSP (digital sound processing module)... Basically an amp has either blown it's fuse or failed. I think the module itself sits under your driver's seat. 

After doing some reading it looks to be coming back to either the Audio Control Module have broken or now either this DSP which you mention, unfortunately either way it looks like something I can’t just quickly fix myself with a fuse replacement or something 😞

Small update on this. Put the Sync 3 into diagnostic mode to try and run a speaker test, however no Speakers show up/make a noise and the only thing that shows is the ‘end test’ button. 

I see what you mean now with the system being under the drivers seat. I’m hoping it’s just a wire or something that may have eroded away and is a simple enough fix for ford... until they send me the bill. 

From memory the DSP is the module that actually powers the Speakers which is why I think it's that. 

When did you car run out of warranty? Hopefully Ford can put some goodwill in to help you out (this is up to Ford and not the dealer). You might have to make a CLP claim if this is the case which they'll explain if you chose to do so. 

Best of luck 👍

• Like 1

It actually ran out on July 31st, so less than a month at the time I booked for car in for them to have a look, the only reason I haven’t taken another one out is that I’ve had the car up for sale for for 2 months. Couldn’t believe it (and at the same time I could) when I got in the other day and it broke!

What you’re saying makes sense though, it’s as if somebody has just ‘unplugged’ the Speakers and they don’t actually exist, which is why the volume is stuck on 0 even when you twist the volume control. 

I’ll be calling them every day to try and get an earlier appointment/cancelation as I actually had a buyer for the car the day before it all went wrong! 😞

Thanks for the advise on CLP though, I’ll have a look into that  

No problem, just tell them your car has only just run out of warranty so is there anything they could do or Ford could do as you're not happy about paying for all of it. 

So an update on this,

Under the driving seat like you say I can see the module for the B&O, where there's all the wires going in

one of the wires is clearly snapped, looks as though its wear and tear with the drivers seat going forward and back over the years which has worn on it (going to mention this to them as clearly a design fault and not something I should be penalised for).

So would just be a case of the wire needing to be put back together, does anybody know how much Ford might sting me by to do this? Considering they're going to charge me about £89 to plug in the diagnostic tool to tell them something I can tell them myself. Id like to think and hope its a 30 minute job for them, but they'll probably come back and say they need to order a whole new bunch of wires.

Its as thick wire (made up of probably 20 little wires taped/bound together) and its one of the little ones which has come snapped.

Annoyingly I could fix this myself but theres absolutely no give in the wires 

If I was doing it I'd put in an extra bit of wire to make it a bit longer and I'd only charge 0.5 (30 mins) labour. If it's just 1 wire there's no reason why it can't be repaired and it's not safety related so will be fine.

• Like 1

If it'sa really fine wire try telecom jelly crimps.
They're designed to cut through insulation and join 2 wires together.
Other than that, strip some insulation back and use chocblocks to splice wire in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352017372663

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So the car was finally fixed by Ford and then the new owner picked it up a day or so later, was very lucky to have a buyer who wasn't put off by this!

Just thought id post this incase anyone else has this issue in the future as it does look like it could maybe effect a few fiestas with the B&O Speakers, was just what I could see with the broken wire under the drivers seat.

Overall cost to fix was £170 including labour (annoying as like I say I could have probably fixed this myself!) Moral of the story, make sure you get a new warranty once yours expires, as mentioned the only reason I didn't have one is that it expired only 3 weeks earlier and the car was up for sale before this.

For those with B&O Speakers, id check under your drivers seat and make sure the thick black wire containing all the 'smaller' wires is nice and tidy and isn't going to be constantly moving etc when you move the drivers seat back and forth. Over the years this has what caused mine to break, definitely either a design fault on Fords sign or my specific Fiesta just had a bad day at the office when it was built!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

A big thank you to the contributors to this thread - I just fixed a similar problem on my pal's '17 Fiesta in very little time - thanks to the steer to look under the seat.  I found 2 wires cut through and one with damaged insulation - the seat adjusting mechanism clouts the bundle hard every time it's moved.  Easy to fix with a soldering wire and a couple of jumpers and sleeving.  The carpet is actually a moulding with a void underneath so easy to slit it, cut a hole big enough for the bundle, and pass it through some 3cm or so below where Ford delivered it, and well out of harms way.  Makes you wonder WTF Ford didn't do that in the first place!

Note that the main dealer claimed it was the audio head that was faulty and wanted £800 to fix it!  I am now very popular!

I also note the lousy routeing of the seat sensor wiring; the insulation is more robust but I wonder how long before issues with these start to appear on this forum?!

Thanks again guys! David

• 11 months later...

Hi there guys . 
just thought I would add a quick note . Seems Ford are still having this issue as I have a 2022 Ford puma which was damage repaired so isn’t under warranty . I too have this same fault with my stereo that has no sound from the b and o Speakers . It’s been into Ford and they fitted an inneeded stereo £388.18 and it is exactly the same . Also tried a new sync unit but still no good . They have had my car on 5 occasions now over a 10 week period and they are saying labour is up to £1200 + the radio cost which is paid for . To be truthful the really don’t have a clue why this is not working . Can anyone please help me with this issue as I need it sorting really . Thankyou also for taking your time to read this .

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, had exactly the same problem ...everything seemed to be working in terms of icons etc, but volume was set at 0 and immovable.  tried a factory settings reset...no joy.  Turned the engine off, locked the doors and went back to the car ten minutes later, all OK

Ford Focus ST-Line 2019

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club