Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt

DieselPig

Just changed the timing belt, water pump on my Fiesta, with new tensioner & idler wheel.

Car starts OK but there is now a whine when off the throttle in gear. Stripped it down again and the tensioner had moved slightly. When I torqued up the bolt I noticed it moved so I set it off centre and when I tightened it up it was bang in the middle.

Still makes a whine!

Any ideas what next?

Have you tried with the aux belt off?  Might be aux related, especially if you fitted a new aux belt.  When I did mine, the extra tension of the new belt wrecked the aux tensioner! :rolleyes:

Did think that as I have replaced all.

Just stripped it all down again, tensioner in correct position but there appears to be black gunge in the grooves on the timing belt. All the pulleys are clean so not sure what it is, it wipes off easily.

Is the belt defective? Its a Dayco 941048 and there web catalogue give the correct type.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's going on there.  Definitely no oil, diesel or coolant misting around the belt run at all?

No leaks and its clean under the covers. New belt felt waxy so maybe a coating of something? I washed all the pulleys with brake cleaner before fitting the belt.

Just re-assembled it all and the new tensioner would not work as expected. So I've put the old one back in (bearing is fine) tensioned OK and run the engine without the accessory belt & tensioner.

Sounds lovely!! 🤩

• Like 1

Fitted new tensioner for accessory belt and its whining again!

Will run  it for a few days and see if it settles.

• 3 weeks later...

OK have sorted the problem and this may help somebody else with a 2011 1.6 TDCi TZJA engine.

Middle of the year the timing belt tensioner was changed (don't ask me why ask Ford!) what the difference is? Possibly the spring tension.

Continental do a complete water pump/timing/tensioner kit and list two different types based on year, according to ETIS my car was built in June so I assumed the engine was assembled in May, the tensioner was changed in July so for my car the correct kit is CT1162WP2.

For vehicles manufactured after July the Continental kit is CT1162WP4.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club