Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare wheel size question

Pobinho

I’ve recently purchased a 20plate fiesta st-line which is fitted with 205/45/17r tyres. I’ve since purchased a spare wheel kit fitted with a 175/65/14 tyre as research seemed to suggest that this is the correct size for fiestas, however when you put the wheels next to each other there is quite a big difference in circumference between them. Can anybody tell me if this is correct or have I got the wrong kit?

yes its correct.

It is substantially smaller in diameter than the stock tyres. Thus you should put the space saver on the rear only to avoid problems with steering, braking and traction control, let alone damage to the differential. If you have a front wheel puncture you need to transfer a rear wheel to the front and again put the space saver on the rear. Luckily using the forward jacking point raises both front and rear wheels and facilitates the swap.

Space saver wheel and tyre, absolute rubbish and in my opinion dangerous. Get another wheel and tyre exactly the same as what is on the car, that's what I have done for my 07 Fiesta, it does fit in the spare well so why do the manufacturers not do so. Some cars now come with no spare wheel, it's an optional extra!

Full size alloys are big and heavy...wasting emissions but more importantly for us, losing loadspace - that is already at a premium in the Fiesta's!

Personally I'd always fit a space saver on the front though.  If the rear end slides out you have no control over it at all and are likely to oversteer into an obstacle.  If the front slides out you still have some control with steering and the rear will remain planted.  They really are only meant to be used in emergency for short distances and definitely need to be used with extra care.  I've even managed to slide one on a dry 30mph roundabout. :rolleyes:  Have also seen them explode as people don't keep them inflated and/or drive too fast on them.  Full size spare is the best option, but for how often they're used, it just doesn't make sense to fit them.  I'd take a space saver over a can of gunk any day!

• Like 1

I saw a 2 year old Bently Mulsanne going around a roundabout a few days ago with a space saver spare on the front, he wasn't hanging about either! looked very much out of place, 3 10 inch tyres and alloys and one red steel with a 5 inch tyre.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Milkman said:

Space saver wheel and tyre, absolute rubbish and in my opinion dangerous. Get another wheel and tyre exactly the same as what is on the car, that's what I have done for my 07 Fiesta, it does fit in the spare well so why do the manufacturers not do so. Some cars now come with no spare wheel, it's an optional extra!

I dont know the tyre size of your Fiesta but mine has 205/40R18 and I doubt they'll fit in the wheel well but I'll admit Ive not yet tried. The generic space saver used to be 125/80 R15 and I think Ford used the same circumference but increased the width to 175 for better grip, but its 38mm smaller diameter than my stock tyres.  Next opportunity I have I will check the Ford space saver actually clears the  front brake disks as obviously there is a 4" difference in wheel diameter.

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Full size alloys are big and heavy...wasting emissions but more importantly for us, losing loadspace - that is already at a premium in the Fiesta's!

Personally I'd always fit a space saver on the front though.  If the rear end slides out you have no control over it at all and are likely to oversteer into an obstacle.  If the front slides out you still have some control with steering and the rear will remain planted.  They really are only meant to be used in emergency for short distances and definitely need to be used with extra care.  I've even managed to slide one on a dry 30mph roundabout. :rolleyes:  Have also seen them explode as people don't keep them inflated and/or drive too fast on them.  Full size spare is the best option, but for how often they're used, it just doesn't make sense to fit them.  I'd take a space saver over a can of gunk any day!

I understand what you are saying but the width difference is the reason for caution when using a space saver. Loosing it on a corner is just going too fast for the tyre. Personally Id rather have equal tyres on the front as the Fiesta is a nose heavy car and I want control when hard braking as you never know when an emergency stop is required.

This is the problem we have got. However, I'm still glad to have a spare, instead of Goo and compressor. Goo only fixes small punctures in certain areas of the tyre, and may ruin the tyre.

However, remember once spare is fitted, do not exceed 50mph (80kph).

rsz_1img_20200425_152203831.jpg

rsz_img_20200425_152211995.jpg

There's one flaw in putting a space saver on the front, if one of the front tyres is punctured you'd have to change 2 wheels and the car jack will only lift one corner at a time.

My Fiesta has 195 45 R16 tyres on alloy wheels, the space saver is 175 65 R14. The spare that I replaced it with, the same road wheel and tyre that's on the car, fits perfectly okay in the rear well, it  only sits a fraction higher than the space saver and the tool tray fits, the only thing you need to do is to extend the securing rod by an inch by cutting and welding in a short bit of rod.

• 2 years later...

Need a space saver spare for my 2019 Ford tourneo courier would a fiesta wheel fit it's 15 inch Tyres?

11 hours ago, Tourneo2 said:

would a fiesta wheel fit

and how many wheel studs does your Tourneo Courier have ?

If it's the same as a regular Fiesta then it should fit just fine. Remember it's no use without a Jack and a wheel brace !! 😀

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club