Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk 6 Parking Brake

shauna22

Hi , I'm new to this forum but I wonder if anyone can advise.My 2006 1.4 fiesta ghia with 17000 miles failed it's mot today with KWIKFIT ,reason given -Rear(RBT Parking brake imbalance 34%)Rear brake application uneven (3.7.A.5c)The price they quoted to fix was £320. Seems a bit expensive.I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks

Would have said at worst shoes and cylinders....£320 very expensive We could supply a set of genuine shoes and a pair of cylinders for £69.99 plus £8 delivery, you should be able to get an independant garage to fit for say £60 so that would be a lot cheaper

0191 4200168 mon-fri 9-5pm sat 9-12pm

Would have said at worst shoes and cylinders....£320 very expensive We could supply a set of genuine shoes and a pair of cylinders for £69.99 plus £8 delivery, you should be able to get an independant garage to fit for say £60 so that would be a lot cheaper

0191 4200168 mon-fri 9-5pm sat 9-12pm

They havn't said your rear foot-brake is imbalanced, so it points to the cable operation needing a new U-cable, as they can dig-into the sheath at one side or the other, with a single cable going forward to the lever in the car.

They havn't said your rear foot-brake is imbalanced, so it points to the cable operation needing a new U-cable, as they can dig-into the sheath at one side or the other, with a single cable going forward to the lever in the car.

hi,Thanks for reply,only the parking brake failed on o/side but the price quoted included new shoes,cylinders and drums which I thought should not be needed after 17000mls.what do you think?regards shauna

I would take it to another garage me kwick fit or a bunch of cowboys and i would'nt even trust them changeing a tyre has when i had my clio they but a new tyre on my car with diffrent tread to the rest of the tyres. one word thick

hi,Thanks for reply,only the parking brake failed on o/side but the price quoted included new shoes,cylinders and drums which I thought should not be needed after 17000mls.what do you think?regards shauna

Looks very like you are being taken advantage of, perhaps because you are a woman. Your rear brakes are fine regarding the function of the cylinders and drums, as you can tell from use of the foot-brake being O.K., the test would have flagged up an imbalance there if it existed. The MoT people supervise the testers thro' VOSA, and investigate complaints, although often it is over lenient testing, where the test station loses its license, and that has happened 6 miles from me. I know of another firm 12 miles away being scrutinised by an inspector, for that reason, but passed. (each firm had just one qualified tester, so it may just be that man who loses his license for a while, until he passes a re-test again, because that garage regained the MoT status later.)

Small busy garages rely on repeat custom, and I know of 3 nearby where I would trust their judgement, not to create work willy-nilly.

I have not heard many good comments for KWIK-FIT, but have used National Tyres for My Son's oil-change by 'phone, and 2 tyres via their online ordering arm, "tyre shopper", paying online for the 2 tyres, saving £8 each, and paying direct to the Aberdeen National Tyres for the oil/filter change, all by Mastercard. Totally satisfied, and I think they do mechanical work/ Mot's as well,but a cheap retest has to be done at the 1st place, I believe,but the repairs can be done elsewhere.

KWIK-FIT quoted £45 for an oil/filter change, and National Tyres did the job for £36, last July. The pair of Continental Conti 185X65R14's cost £110 all-in.