Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quoted £600+ for work, any cheaper alternative?

b9y

Hi guys.

Got a 2010 Mk4 1.8 TDCI with some issues. MOT was done on 23rd with no advisories. Only driven 400/500 miles since last Saturday, and no driving that would have caused the issues! 

They're saying it needs a new sump, as it's dented and oil's leaking a little. And that the fuel pipe is leaking, not getting fuel to the injectors (as it judders between 1-2k sat still and driving at motorway speed). Said the sumps about £300 or so, and the pipe is £200 ish from Ford apparently. I asked if they do any pipe fixes but he said it needs a new one. Any ideas on where I get cheaper parts? Cheers!

IMG_20200904_195627.thumb.jpg.c8d80c02a7ad00d7cbfcaa54ef35f143.jpgWell, I've a mk3, and the sump was very corroded, and I bought a pattern part at a fraction of the cost of a Ford one, ironically from a Ford dealership... see if you can find one the same as I did. What's wrong with the leakoff pipes then? They're too well made and sturdy to go wrong. Where is the leak from actually? If it's from where it fits into the injector then I think you can buy replacement O rings...you can for the mk3TDCi.      Go on www.catcar.info and type in your vin, then you can see the part numbers for all your vehicle parts. Get the sump pan part number and do a Google search, also an eBay search using 'Ford' plus the part number. (the part number is called the finis code and is 7 numbers long.) Often juddering is caused by a split in a boost pipe... especially one  your's age. Have a look at this site:https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1/image?q=mondeo+mk4+tdci+leakoff+pipe&bih=600&biw=960&prmd=sivn&hl=en-GB&prds=cs:1,paur:ClkAsKraX2t--zHcRHQmJv91FlHQOBj5MPcTJTQ7S10Ak551jU1jiIuSMPfgMoiuexaxzdrO_AisuyH6nGlwvKk2Sx1tlCoH-m5vZs6lUFTk_KzTvvITZWaSXRIZAFPVH72Es_VNjM5cLSqUQVLnL5ukURyGbA,pid:5525524171963162361,sgro:iv,mvi:0

Also these sump pans are cheaper,  and looks like gsf do them too, obviously not genuine Ford, but doesn't matter for a sump pan. 

I see you describe yourself as a budding enthusiast.... can you do stuff yourself... have you had a look for yourself under the car at the sump pan to see what's wrong? They're generally not called sumps anymore, but oil pan, or oil pan assembly or sump pan. 

Screenshot_2020-09-04-19-34-33-686_com.ebay.mobile.png

• Like 1

The site describes me as a budding enthusiast as I'm new here, I'm not a car person at all mate. I don't even have the tools or a jack or know where to start lol.

That's great info thanks! Regarding the leak off pipe. Apparently the reason it's £200 is because it's a kit, so do I need anything else other than the one suggested and the O rings? I saw something about clips too. Apparently it's the pipe itself that's warn 'towards the back' they said. 

Go to a local indie rather than Halfords. They'll handle finding the right parts and just forward the cost onto you. The trouble with sourcing your own parts is if they fail prematurely, or it doesn't fix the problem, you have 0 comeback against the garage as they'll just say you supplied defective parts.

• Like 1

'Comes as a kit'. That's the dealer or OEM way of ripping you off making you pay through the nose for something that you only need a part of and the rest is not. As said, use an independent garage that will get a factor part and the only part that you actually need, don't be afraid of the word factor as all these non-genuine parts have to be manufactured to a certain standard and only cost a fraction of OEM parts and most probably come out of the same factory anyway. I had a timing belt for a Land Rover, one in the 'genuine' LR box was £46, the one in a factor box under a different name was £11, both came from the same manufacturer.

• Like 1

Doesnt work as well with Ford's but I found it with Mercs that if I could get the equivalent Chrysler part number or better yet the original oem part number and bought it that way it was often. cheaper. 

'worn towards the back'.. 🤔 

Don't make sense to me. Its a pipe.  They don't wear! Can you show us a pic of said pipe and where it's worn... are they saying its causing a problem, or don't they like the look of it for some reason. Can you find yourself a nice indy garage in Cardiff for a 2nd opinion? Tho if you can't do stuff yourself, then you're at the mercy of anyone whose mortgage payments are dependant on how much commission they can make from you.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club