Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rounded lug

F0CUE

So it seems one of the garages that have worked on my car before I got it have rounded of a lug at the rear probably with too much power on the impact gun. I know on mk2 they had caps that were easily removed but cant seem to get this one off are these the same? If not does anyone have any suggestions? I am so glad I started on this wheel cos if I put a spacer on the other side and came across this I would be raging. 

Had the same on my MK3. They did have the caps which I've now removed from the front ones, not yet replaced them though 

I have had a few problems with Ford wheel nuts over the years as, like you say, some muppet at a tyre shop rounds them off with an air gun. The aluminium cap can usually be prised off, leaving the steel nut underneath, which you can usually then get a 18mm(?) socket on. If the cap won't come off then try using the car's actual wheel brace as I have found this fits better than a 19 mm socket ??

1 minute ago, jlawes20389 said:

Had the same on my MK3. They did have the caps which I've now removed from the front ones, not yet replaced them though 

Cool how did you get it off? I get worried with previous experiences of making things worse. 

1 minute ago, Phil3747 said:

I have had a few problems with Ford wheel nuts over the years as, like you say, some muppet at a tyre shop rounds them off with an air gun. The aluminium cap can usually be prised off, leaving the steel nut underneath, which you can usually then get a 18mm(?) socket on. If the cap won't come off then try using the car's actual wheel brace as I have found this fits better than a 19 mm socket ??

Thanks Yeh it seems the wheel brace is part of the jack combined but wouldn't go on but now I know the caps do come away like the MK2 so I can do more without making it worse. 

Yeah...it's just the aluminium cap that is usually the problem and once off, the steel nut underneath is easily accessible.

I was fortunate that I was able to get them off the car before I removed the caps. Eventually I'll replace them but not sure what with yet.

6 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Used this method and got it off 😁

Aahhh... the solution to so many car issues, you simply need a bigger hammer LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Replaced all the nuts on mine cause of this exact issue!

To get them off I hammered on a slightly smaller socket to each nut and used a breaker bar and repeated the process for each nut. Took me an hour overall, was knackered.

The replacement nuts I used were off a Ford transit as they were a single solid design rather than 3 parts (tapered washer, nut and nut cap)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Replaced all the nuts on mine cause of this exact issue!

To get them off I hammered on a slightly smaller socket to each nut and used a breaker bar and repeated the process for each nut. Took me an hour overall, was knackered.

The replacement nuts I used were off a Ford transit as they were a single solid design rather than 3 parts (tapered washer, nut and nut cap)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sounds good although they may rust but so would capless ones anyways 😁

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club