Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DO NOT get rear-ended

Paul W. H

On the 1st August 2020 our 2019 plate Ford Edge Vignale was rear-ended whilst we were stationery and requires a replacement tailgate and other bits.

As of today 7th September Ford are still unable to find a replacement tailgate anywhere in Europe.

The car is off the road at a crash repair centre and we are running around in a rental car.

To say we are [choose own adjective(s)] is a complete understatement.

Mr Angry 😖

Tunbridge Wells

Another week passes and Ford are still unable to supply a tailgate.

I must admit, I hadn't been intending to get rear ended anyway... :ermm:

I don't think there's anything you can do except wait, this is one issue with just-in-time manufacturing...all of the new tailgates will be assigned to new cars being built.  On one hand, it's a shame it wasn't a slightly bigger bump that wrote the whole car off and you'd have another one by now...  On the other hand, at least the miles are being racked up on the rental rather than your own car. 

Dare I ask what the rental is?  Usually equal or greater than your own car...so I'm guessing it's a manual Fiat 500? :biggrin: 

That's just silly, come on....how different is the rear from the American car?

The Hire Car is a 69 plate Mazda CX5 petrol auto (no choice for us), having driven it for over month I would never buy one.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gaskell71 said:

That's just silly, come on....how different is the rear from the American car?

They probably can't find enough brown paper & string to rap it up or run ot of stamps to post it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paul W. H said:

The Hire Car is a 69 plate Mazda CX5 petrol auto (no choice for us), having driven it for over month I would never buy one.

Ah not far off size-wise then, it could have been much worse tbf.

Another week has passed and Ford are still unable to supply a tailgate.

Has your Dealer contacted Ford Daventry to request an update?

H

My Insurance Company (Saga) are in constant contact with their approved Repair Centre who are in constant contact with Ford UK.

Saga want this sorted ASAP as the hire car costs are growing rapidly.

I wonder if other Ford Edge body panels are available.

If I was reading this with a view to purchase an Edge it would put me off.

Do you know exactly which parts they are waiting on. A FINIS Code(s) would help. (Part No.)

H

All I know is that a complete tailgate is the part they (Ford) cannot source in Europe.

Saga, the Authorised Repairer or the company they are dealing with need to raise a query from wherever they are sourcing these genuine parts from and whoever that is needs to raise a query with the Ford Parts People at Daventry. If they are dealing with a Main Ford Dealer then they can raise this with Ford.

There is no reason Ford, UK, Europe or Canada cannot supply a tailgate.

H

I would tentatively suggest this may not be a 'Ford' problem but one of the many other companies in the chain before Ford.

H

Do you mean Ford's suppliers or my end as in Insurance company or repair centre.

If it is the tailgate assembly itself, Ford Stamp their own panels at the Oakville plant in Canada, where the Edge is made.

It sounds like there is some miscommunication between your repairer and where they source their genuine spare parts from. I don't think it's possible to get a non-genuine or pattern tailgate so a replacement must be genuine and that needs to come from a Ford Dealer.

Unless Saga are trying to get a used one from a vehicle with front end damage...............................

H

Saga informed me that they will only source genuine NEW parts as they offer a 5 year guarantee..

Well, that's good.

Find out which Ford Dealer it's coming from and ring them!

I have spoken to the Insurance company again this week and they are pushing it because this is costing them real money in rental cars (I know they will get it back from the other Insurance company).  It will also give them a reason to push up premiums for all.

The trouble is, folks want cheap car insurance, a high standard of guaranteed repairs, matching quality or genuine parts, courtesy cars and then the same folks complain about premium prices when they are raised at renewal.

Along with most of the Motor Trade, insurance companies just cant win.

H

I can't remember which insurance company my brother in law was with but at the time he had a focus which was only 2 months old and he wrote off the front bumper, he was fully comp' so went through his insurance, car took in and the repair shop couldn't find a brand new bumper, told insurance company about the problem and they asked my brother in law what's his thoughts about a secondhand bumper being sourced & fitted, he agreed just as long as the replacement bumper was an excellent colour match with no traces of the other colour on the bumper, inside & outside, a bumper was found within a week and he was back on the road three days later, brothers insurance had a £250 excess fee but because they'd sourced a secondhand bumper and the brother in law was very reasonable with the insurance company they waived the excess fee, made my brother in law smile. 

• Like 1

An undamaged tailgate from a breakers would be a solution that I would be happy with as after talking to the boss (AKA the Wife) we would probably exchange it for something else, we do not want to go through this again and it won't be a Ford,

As I explained earlier, I suspect this is not a 'Ford' originated problem. There may well be a problem, but as far as I can gather it is with the local sourcing of the part and the repairers, not the actual origin of the part.

I understand you don't want to go through this again but in this instance 'Ford' as manufacturer has not done anything wrong and 'it won't be Ford' is a reaction too far.

I'm out.

H

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club