Do Not Sell My Personal Information

advice on damaged windscreen please

shaz4473

Hi, looking for some advice if possible as was gutted yesterday when driving my mums fiesta and it got hit in the windscreen resulting in a chip/crack.  The car (Fiesta titanium) is only just over a year old and I contacted the insurance online to go through a glass claim.  Went through the procedure and it states that Autoglass will be out to repair it this week.  On seeing the pic I will attach can anyone comment if it is likely that this can be repaired without an unsightly mark being left or will it require a new windscreen? 

If a new windscreen then can i state that I want a Ford windscreen? Would this be a good idea as always go for fort parts when replacing anything in the car.   Does anyone know how long the windscreen would be guaranteed for as I am concerned about the heating elements in the screen.  Also has anyone had past experience of a windscreen replacement as this car was a replacement for mums last car which she had for 12 years and intending having this car as long too, really takes care of her car and don't want any damage caused to it :(

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

windscreen.jpg

I had a windscreen chip repaired some years ago and it was a disaster.   I sent photos to the insurers and they agreed to replace the windscreen.   You are entitled to a proper Ford heated windscreen but, on my insurance, I have to pay £100 towards it.

Thanks for getting in touch.  Yes, checked the excess £75 to pay for a replacement and £10 for a repair.  Wondered if I have a choice as to what they do?

Stone chips are just a fact of driving no matter how careful you are, don't feel too guilty about it!

That looks repairable to me, you can check by placing a £2 coin over it, if any of the crack shows outside of the coin, it's too big for repair.  They are slightly noticeable after repair, but certainly not massively - it's just one of those things where you know it's there I think!

You don't have a choice over repair or replacement.  The actual windscreens cost the insurers hundreds of pounds (more depending on options such as heating and auto wipers) so if a repair is possible, that's all they will pay for.  

If it was to be replaced, as it's only a year old, you may have to wait for a genuine windscreen to become available.  My Mum had this issue on a nearly new car.  then when she did finally get a new screen, it wasn't fitted properly so leaked and made the whole car stink.  I've also had bad experiences with new screens from the mirror mount falling off to broken sensors to the complete wrong screen being bought out...  My advice, put up with a small mark from a repair rather than having replacement if at all possible!

I've had various experiences with screen repairs. Difficult to judge the size of yours from the pic, but I've had several repairs to similar looking damage that worked well (3 were on the same car, before a 4th one finished it off and a new screen was needed!)

I've had ones that didn't look anywhere near as bad, yet the repair failed, as Bob mentions.

As Tom says, you're generally in the hands of the repairer, but I don't like having a screen replaced if it can be avoided.  Potential leak issues as Tom mentions, I've had damage done to trim etc needing further repairs, and the bonding of the screen contributes to the structural integrity of the car so it does need to be done properly. I've had new screens that looked fine, no damage or leaks, yet the car never felt "right" afterwards.

Can a heated front screen be repaired? I always presumed it would have to be replaced?

My biggest issue is if the windscreen needs to be replaced, the fitter from autoglass or other company may not fully know how to properly take the windscreen off your car and as a result they try to work it out as they go along, causing damage and putting everything back poorly.

About 2 years ago I needed my windscreen replaced, I made it a bit easier for the fitter by removing everything externally so all he had to do was remove the internal b-pillar trim, GPS sensor, mirror and the windscreen. End result was some scratched b-pillar trims, GPS sensor cover, and I had to reapply the GPS sensor as it was positioned so badly. And he used way too much sealant around the windscreen.

Given the choice I'll take it to a ford dealer and opt to have my insurance company contribute £100+ and I'll pay the rest.

Thanks very much for the contributions here.  I spoke to Autoglass on the phone and they said that they would order a screen for the car since it was just over a year old and I said that my mum will have it for the next 10 years or so (last car 12 years before changed)

I am very nervous about it going in as don't want to take in a car that practically looks as it did coming out of the showroom but with a bad mark right on the middle of the windscreen.  I am going to video both inside and out before they get the car just in case.

Can anyone share any info on what screen they put in as I have been told that the only difference is that this one will not have a ford badge on it as it is not a genuine ford screen.  Really worried now that changing the screen sounds like a bad idea 😞 

I've had several screens changed on different cars over the years by Autoglass and everything has always been fine. I did have a repair once on a bit of damage about the size of a £1 coin and I could still clearly see where it was "repaired" afterwards. Given the choice I think you've selected the right option by having it changed. Just check the heated screen works correctly on both the drivers and passengers side afterwards as I do know someone else who had a problem with that. The replacement screens I've had looked identical to the original except for the brand name.

On our car the surrounds are delaminating and spoiling the look of the car, I'd like to thump the screen and crack it, then put a claim in, it's £85 on our insurance, but I've heard of too many horror stories of the paintwork around the screen getting damaged - tinted screen being replaced by a standard clear screen - old heated screen being replaced by a none heated screen - dash getting marked...

Scares me shiitless to think our car which has a heated / tinted screen could be replaced by a standard screen or getting damaged.

Ford dont make the windscreens. My ST had a plinkinton heated screen from the factory, the replacement was identical.

Autoglass usually source an identical screen to what the vehicle has 

I posted elsewhere on this but watch out for autoglass trying to fit non genuine glass - they tried fitting an ‘AGC Automotive’ screen to my mk4 focus which I refused and insisted on a genuine part going in. The fitter called the office and a genuine part from ford has been ordered and a new appointment made. Apparently they try to fit ‘OEM equivalent’ glass because it’s half the price of genuine screens. My advice is hold your ground and insist on genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave1987, any idea what the brand behind your genuine ford screen in your focus mk4 was?

Thanks again as I just called Autoglass and they are now putting in a request for a genuine windscreen replacement.  All the input on this thread has been very useful and now I just have to wait until I find out if the insurer will accept the cost of a genuine replacement screen.  fingers and toes crossed!!

• Like 1

Normally you would notify your insurance company if an after market part is fitted so having an OEM part fitted should be straight forward👍

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, shaz4473 said:

Hi, looking for some advice if possible as was gutted yesterday when driving my mums fiesta and it got hit in the windscreen resulting in a chip/crack.  The car (Fiesta titanium) is only just over a year old and I contacted the insurance online to go through a glass claim.  Went through the procedure and it states that Autoglass will be out to repair it this week.  On seeing the pic I will attach can anyone comment if it is likely that this can be repaired without an unsightly mark being left or will it require a new windscreen? 

If a new windscreen then can i state that I want a Ford windscreen? Would this be a good idea as always go for fort parts when replacing anything in the car.   Does anyone know how long the windscreen would be guaranteed for as I am concerned about the heating elements in the screen.  Also has anyone had past experience of a windscreen replacement as this car was a replacement for mums last car which she had for 12 years and intending having this car as long too, really takes care of her car and don't want any damage caused to it 😞

Any advice greatly appreciated 🙂

windscreen.jpg

If this helps this is the screen on my 2018 Titanium Fiesta note the "Soundscreen"

Soundscreen
glass can reduce exterior noise by up to 6 decibels, and the average
Soundscreen windshield is 7 pounds lighter than most consumer
windshields on the market today. In fact, since Ford first implemented
Soundscreen technology in its vehicles in 2007, complaints about
wind-related noise dropped. Where noise is concerned, Ford vehicles
went from the second worst of any manufacturer to the best, according
to consumer survey organization RDA Group.

IMG_20200917_102739086_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiexen said:

If this helps this is the screen on my 2018 Titanium Fiesta note the "Soundscreen"

Soundscreen
glass can reduce exterior noise by up to 6 decibels, and the average
Soundscreen windshield is 7 pounds lighter than most consumer
windshields on the market today. In fact, since Ford first implemented
Soundscreen technology in its vehicles in 2007, complaints about
wind-related noise dropped. Where noise is concerned, Ford vehicles
went from the second worst of any manufacturer to the best, according
to consumer survey organization RDA Group.

IMG_20200917_102739086_HDR.jpg

That's interesting. No mention of soundscreen on mine, though the other markings seem to be the same. (Sorry about the poor image - very sunny here at present!)

IMG_20200917_140240_hdr.thumb.jpg.91a78ba73155f78f8f252772fb73b550.jpg

25 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's interesting. No mention of soundscreen on mine, though the other markings seem to be the same. (Sorry about the poor image - very sunny here at present!)

IMG_20200917_140240_hdr.thumb.jpg.91a78ba73155f78f8f252772fb73b550.jpg

I think its a Titanium thing we get comfy and quite you get sporty and looks!

16 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

Mine's a Titanium but it has no mention of Soundscreen.   It is a very quiet car though.

3 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Like Bob's, my car is very quiet other than road noise - eerily so if you find a stretch of smooth tarmac (though in my area you've more chance of seeing a unicorn!😀).

Can't see any mention of windscreens in brochures and price lists, other than "quickclear" screens, so it looks like another puzzle.

I've never seen a soundscreen!  :unsure:

The one on my MK2.5 Focus was IR heat reflective to protect the full leathers but not sound proofed sadly!

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Like Bob's, my car is very quiet other than road noise - eerily so if you find a stretch of smooth tarmac (

Mine is so quiet that, on several occasions, I've got out of the car and forgotten to switch it off.

• Haha 2

Thanks for the pics - going to have  a look today and see what it says. Another good reason to request the genuine Ford replacement I think 🙂

The advice here is greatly appreciated - I always think that to have a little knowledge when dealing with any kind of situation helps you stand your ground and get what you are entitled to/want/deserve

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay. The ford screen in my mk4 focus is made my Pilkington. After insisting on genuine glass being fitted autoglass showed up today with a Pilkington screen complete with Ford logo and fitted that.

Thanks for the pics - going to have  a look today and see what it says. Another good reason to request the genuine Ford replacement I think [emoji846]

The advice here is greatly appreciated - I always think that to have a little knowledge when dealing with any kind of situation helps you stand your ground and get what you are entitled to/want/deserve

Definitely stand your ground. Autoglass tech told me some insurers (Churchill being one) won’t cover the cost of genuine windscreens because ‘they’re twice the price’ of non genuine parts. To my mind we all pay our insurance premiums, barely ever claim and when the time comes they just need to suck it up and provide proper replacements and not knock offs.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club