Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Car Play Freeze

FezMan

So im not sure if this is an issue with Sync 3 or Apple car play itself.

Every now and again (more than id like) while using apple car play the whole system will just freeze and become unresponsive. no matter what you do the screen just stays on what was last showing, all music stops etc. 

Unplugging and phone and plugging back in doesn't fix this, and turning the car off and on also doesn't fix this unless the car is off for a good 10 minutes or so.

As you can imagine this is even more annoying when you're using it for Apple Maps half way down the motorway and it all just gives in!

Sync 3 version 3.0, wonder if anyone else has ever had this?

Hi Ben, I’ve had this a couple of times but not as frequently as you appear to be.

It might be worth checking Ford website to see if there’s an Sync update available for your car.

When it happens again you can force a Sync reboot by holding the power and skip forward buttons simultaneously. That should get it up and running again in about 30 seconds.

Thanks Col, 

This actually happened on my Fiesta which ive just sold and will be picking up a new Focus on Saturday, so will be interesting to see if I have the issue ever happen with that.

Have a 2 hour drive back from the dealer after so that should be a pretty good test for it! I know a few people however who have Fords and have used car play that say they have never had this problem, so im hoping it was more an issue with the car than the system itself.

Regularly checked for updates so 3.0 was the most up to date for it, I would say if anything I never actually had the issue until I updated to 3.0 from whichever version it was on before, but maybe that was just a coincidence 

Also thanks for the power button tip, will definitely try that next time! Assuming you mean the radio power button to put it into the diagnostic mode?

Hi Ben, yes, the radio power button. That plus skip forward reboots Sync. Power button plus skip back gets you into Sync diagnostic menu.

• Thanks 1

How olds your iPhone
I had an old Samsung S5 , Android auto would crash often. Got an iPhone 7 now , Carplay seems to be alright, don’t use it often but no problems so far. Soft reset is definitely the way to get it working again...no good when your doing 70 on the motorway tho. Unless u have a passenger...

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

How olds your iPhone? 
I had an old Samsung S5 , Android auto would crash often. Got an iPhone 7 now , Carplay seems to be alright, don’t use it often but no problems so far. Soft reset is definitely the way to get it working again...no good when your doing 70 on the motorway tho. Unless u have a passenger...

I've had the issue with both an iPhone X and now an iPhone 11 Pro so I don't think its an issue with the phone but more the software side. I can't find any threads at all of people with similar issues so I would say its maybe an issue more down to the car.

Just wish Id known about this force reset sooner!

49 minutes ago, FezMan said:

I've had the issue with both an iPhone X and now an iPhone 11 Pro so I don't think its an issue with the phone but more the software side. I can't find any threads at all of people with similar issues so I would say its maybe an issue more down to the car.

Just wish Id known about this force reset sooner!

I remember one similar thread , conclusion was a genuine apple or Samsung etc cable. But I asked an Apple genius about it , he said shouldn’t matter as long as it’s a good quality cable. 

For some reason either Apple don't like data transfer or the Sync system doesn't like non genuine charging leads.

First and foremost, make sure you're using a genuine Apple cable.

Keep your phone updated and restart often.

Check the Ford Sync website for updates for your system (search Sync 3 Updates UK) and follow instructions on there.

Once updated turn automatic updates off and wi-fi off on your sync system and it'll be a lot more reliable

Can confirm have been using the Apple cable that came with the phone, all phone/sync etc are on the latest versions and so on

Ill probably come back to this thread in a few weeks to say if ive experienced the same issue at all once I pick my new car up this Saturday, hopefully not!

On 9/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, colinmcg71 said:

Power button plus skip back gets you into Sync diagnostic menu.

I tried that..didn’t work. Is it 5 seconds like the soft reset fast forward ?

Just realised when resetting sync your meant to wait at least 3 mins. 

9B8308B1-04E6-4FA2-9869-78FD3ABDEB4A.jpeg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I tried that..didn’t work. Is it 5 seconds like the soft reset fast forward ?

Hi Alex. Yes, I think it only works when Audio is full screen. It should go straight into speaker test.

• Like 1

Just checked now. Audio has to be full screen and the engine has to be running.

• Thanks 1

We froze again...

So I picked my car up on Saturday and then within about 10 minutes of setting off the apple car play froze.

Im sure this can't be an issue with my phone as like I say I had the same issue with the iPhone I had before the one I have now, and neither phones were Jailbroken and are both always on the latest software. Also using the apple cable that came with the phone.

I wonder if there's an app on my phone causing it, I noticed in your thread Alex.S that Waze was causing issues with the prompt volume, I don't have Waze but could be something similar..

The power button and skip track button to reboot however worked perfectly, life saver!

After doing this I made it all the way home just fine and haven't had the issue since. Sync was on 3.3, i've updated again via fords site (So still 3.3) 

Only been on short journeys since however with minimal use of CarPlay so can't say for certain it was a one off just yet..

1 hour ago, FezMan said:

We froze again...

So I picked my car up on Saturday and then within about 10 minutes of setting off the apple car play froze.

Im sure this can't be an issue with my phone as like I say I had the same issue with the iPhone I had before the one I have now, and neither phones were Jailbroken and are both always on the latest software. Also using the apple cable that came with the phone.

I wonder if there's an app on my phone causing it, I noticed in your thread Alex.S that Waze was causing issues with the prompt volume, I don't have Waze but could be something similar..

The power button and skip track button to reboot however worked perfectly, life saver!

After doing this I made it all the way home just fine and haven't had the issue since. Sync was on 3.3, i've updated again via fords site (So still 3.3) 

Only been on short journeys since however with minimal use of CarPlay so can't say for certain it was a one off just yet..

Yeah I was unable to adjust audio volume while using CarPlay, prompt volume only! Was another member said about deleting Waze. App didn’t even need to be open.   I’m glad he figured it out , cause I couldn’t! It works. 
I sometimes when streaming music on bluetooth get a “device not available “ message. The music continues to play , it’s not happened while I’ve been using satnav but it may well cause it to freeze. Pressing off button then few seconds back on solves it. Can do that while driving unlike soft reset. I think if it’s a common problem then google should have a solution..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club