Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Mondeo test drive - Anything to look out for?

Ian180
聽Share

New here - go easy聽馃槈

Going later on in the week to test drive an 聽18 plate St Line / Auto / AWD / 30,000 miles on the clock - anything in particular worth looking out for?

Thanks for any help

On 9/13/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ian180 said:

New here - go easy聽馃槈

Going later on in the week to test drive an 聽18 plate St Line / Auto / AWD / 30,000 miles on the clock - anything in particular worth looking out for?

Thanks for any help

Not much really for a MK5 of that age, just:

• Check the top of dashboard aligns perfectly with the bottom of the windscreen as they have a habit of starting to sag (it only be the older builds)
  • Check the auto box聽changes smoothly up and down through all gears.聽 I think the MK5 still uses the Getrag聽6DCT450 (Powershift wet clutch) gearbox and it requires it's internal oil and filter to be changed every 2 or 3 years, I can't remember which but it HAS to be done properly and is vital to the durability of the box.聽 It's about 拢350(ish) to get Ford to do it, if you look up the car you're interested in on聽https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do聽you can generate a service schedule.聽 If the dealer you're purchasing from is a Ford dealer then they can do this for you.
  • The earlier MK5 builds also had an issue with using aluminium bolts to secure the steering rack (and the bolts failing) but that was changed to steel bolts on the later builds.聽 There was supposed to be a recall for the affected builds but haven't seen anything on here about that for a while.聽 There's a long thread here that goes into more detail.

To be honest they're pretty solid cars.

Edited by 1979Damian
Added the link to the Talkford thread regarding sheared bolts
  • Like 2

I would agree with Damian's comments

Just to clarify - If it is a diesel auto it will have the Getrag Powershift in it. Requires oil and filter change every 3 years or 37,500 miles whichever occurs first

If a petrol auto it will have a normal torque converter type trans manufactured by Ford usa in joint venture with GM (General Motors) called the 6F35 Mid Range

I have heard this week that the steering recall is still going to happen - really!!!!! (A guy on Talk Ford Forum had contact with Ford CEO Andy Barratt), but there is no date when it will happen yet!!

The steering bolt problem will not effect an 18 plate Mondeo

• Like 2

Hi.聽
ive recently bought an 2018 2.0 diesel auto AWD. I love it. I am having problems with a vibration from the rear聽when the AWD engages. The harder you accelerate the more noticeable the vibration. It鈥檚 going in on Thursday so I鈥檒l let you know. MPG is great 38 ish around town upto 54 on a Motorway run. It鈥檚 very quiet and comfortable.聽

• Like 2

Only thing I can add to the list is make sure the fuel pump cassette gaskets are checked as they have a habit of leaking oil at the moment.聽

With the car on the ramp look directly above the gearbox to the underneath of the fuel pump, if it's leaking it will be pretty obvious, usually there's oil down the back of the gearbox.聽

• Like 2

Thanks folks - going to test it tomorrow and this really helps. Will post back how I聽get on.

Appreciate the pointers - read a few places about the rattle when the AWD engages so i'll be sure to give that a workout tomorrow.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ian180 said:

Thanks folks - going to test it tomorrow and this really helps. Will post back how I聽get on.

Appreciate the pointers - read a few places about the rattle when the AWD engages so i'll be sure to give that a workout tomorrow.

Good luck mate, and don't forget that if it doesn't "feel" right, walk away.

Went well (well apart from it being not being AWD) Got them to take a bit off the price and drove it up the road - delighted with it.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:30 AM, Ian180 said:

Went well (well apart from it being not being AWD) Got them to take a bit off the price and drove it up the road - delighted with it.

Nice one, on the up side, the 2WD version is a bit lighter so it'll be a little better on fuel.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club