Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Limit from GPS as well as Recognition

DavidW

Hi everyone,

Have had my Edge for a few weeks now and love it!

The Mrs thinks she got caught speeding hence my asking this question!

Is there a way that the speed limit on the cluster can be updated from the GPS as well as the traffic sign recognition?

it seems the recognition isn’t always that great, for example it doesn’t detect national limit signs. Not sure if that’s a known issue? Also when I go into the setting it says performance reduced but the window isn’t dirty or anything and it still works. Anyone have this?

Thanks everyone

Mine (2018 Edge Sport) says the same re "reduced performance" message

I believe there has been a discussion topic on this some time ago, and i think that there is a software update from a Ford Dealers that fixed it (i may be wrong though)

Go to the search bar and search in this forum for "traffic sign recognition" or similar, you should find the original discussion notes

Failing that i am sure someone will respond very soon with the definitive answer

Cheers 

Mine had the traffic recognition reduced performance - was fixed with a software upgrade.  It always read traffic signs, but it does seem to have slightly better coverage now

My only gripe now is the lack of an audible chime on the speed warning ( 5mph above thing ) - which I think now I have may have been fobbed off by the dealers on this. I raised it recently whilst still in warranty and was told it was quiet because the cabin was quiet ( auto adjusts using the microphones ) but it doesn't matter whether there is no music or music blaring i just get a faint 'blip' rather than a chime. I think I might need to go back to them - if anyone else can confirm they get a nice audible chime I would appreciate it 🙂

On the Focus4 it uses combination of sign recognition and GPS data . This is why it cannot be relied on as in my case am still stuck on F7 maps ,woefully out of date  and waiting for Ford to release F9 to us.For example yesterday at 70mph in outside lane of M11 with limiter on speed was suddenly reduced to 50 ,probably because of long term roadworks when F7 was written.

9 hours ago, undercoveredge said:

Mine had the traffic recognition reduced performance - was fixed with a software upgrade.  It always read traffic signs, but it does seem to have slightly better coverage now

My only gripe now is the lack of an audible chime on the speed warning ( 5mph above thing ) - which I think now I have may have been fobbed off by the dealers on this. I raised it recently whilst still in warranty and was told it was quiet because the cabin was quiet ( auto adjusts using the microphones ) but it doesn't matter whether there is no music or music blaring i just get a faint 'blip' rather than a chime. I think I might need to go back to them - if anyone else can confirm they get a nice audible chime I would appreciate it 🙂

Can confirm I have the quietest chime known to man. Literally barely hear it go off!

On 9/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, DAVEWILL5 said:

Mine (2018 Edge Sport) says the same re "reduced performance" message

I believe there has been a discussion topic on this some time ago, and i think that there is a software update from a Ford Dealers that fixed it (i may be wrong though)

Go to the search bar and search in this forum for "traffic sign recognition" or similar, you should find the original discussion notes

Failing that i am sure someone will respond very soon with the definitive answer

Cheers 

Thanks I’ll get the dealer to take a look and see what’s going on. Does yours now recognise the national speed limit sign after the update?

8 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

On the Focus4 it uses combination of sign recognition and GPS data . This is why it cannot be relied on as in my case am still stuck on F7 maps ,woefully out of date  and waiting for Ford to release F9 to us.For example yesterday at 70mph in outside lane of M11 with limiter on speed was suddenly reduced to 50 ,probably because of long term roadworks when F7 was written.

Is there a way to get this combination on the edge? I’ve looked through all the settings but can’t see anything obvious. Saw someone mentioning it may be possible through forscan but this was for an American Ford Explorer so not sure if the same procedure would apply.

Re undercoveredge and the speed warning chime

So having had my Edge for 18 months i have never heard any chime re speed warnings

Went into the settings and blimey, thats why i havnt heard it, the littel box next to chimes had not been ticked

So, ticked the box, set the "tolerance" to 0 mph up to 35mph, and +1 over 35 mph

Went out in the car and just pushed it to 43mph in a 40 zone and, nothing happened, not even a beep

Tried it again at 32mph in a 30mph zone and the same, no sound or chime or beep at all.

So as well as the "reduced performance" message re sign recognition the warning chimes seems knacke'd

The reeally strange thing is the one journey where it started chiming nice and loudly about a month back.   The only difference there was that I had a (genuine) tyre pressure warning come up just before that I thought perhaps had 'woken up' the chime  - it at least  proved that there is some sort of sound module in the dash capable of making an audible chime,  Feels too much of a coincidence - first ever tyre pressure warning, first ever time I had a loud chime - a bug in the software perhaps?   Never chimed loudly since though - this stuff bugs the hell out of me, but feel a bit better knowing it isn't just me 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, DavidW said:

Thanks I’ll get the dealer to take a look and see what’s going on. Does yours now recognise the national speed limit sign after the update?

Hi David

Apologies for the delayed response but I haven't been out in the car much and didn't want to guess.  I went out today and had 60mph and 70mph displayed whilst on the faster roads.  Now I might be imagining it, but I seem to remember not only having better coverage after the update, but the speed limit used to show on the top circle and nothing ever displayed on the bottom one, but now it is the other way around.  I would be curious as to which circle yours displays on, if nothing else to test my sanity. I also think I saw a discussion where the other circle has some of the rarer signs e.g. no overtaking.  I don't do a lot of miles nor varied routes so someone else might be able to help on other signs that are picked up

Regards

Mike

Mine has always shown speed limit signs on the bottom one. The top signs stays blank most of the time, but will occasionally show the 'no overtaking' sign mostly even if they are temporary signs at ground level.

This morning i have actually heard the speed warning chime for the first time.

I was driving through our High St (20 mph zone) with the radio off, and just crept over the speed limit, and i heard a very very faint "ping" 

However, unless your hearing is at perfect pitch, (which fortunately mine is), you would never hear the warning "ping", as it was so low in volume, that i thought i had mis heard it.

So can the volume be adjusted or not?

Also re the road signs, i spoke to a Ford dealer the other day and explained i had the "reduced performance" message re road signs, and they said that all software updates were "user performed" and not done by them?  

The car is in with the Ford dealer on Wednesday for the Auto gearbox oil change, what should i ask for re the software update to fixed the road sign recognition problem?

Thanks  Dave

Some software updates can be performed by the user but these are limited to Sync3, Software and Maps. All the others need a connection to the Ford Computer 'IDS'. It would be interesting (for me anyway) to know which Ford Dealer it was as they are talking absolute rubbish.

Print this out and show them, report back what they say.

H

So, took the Edge into the Ford Dealers this morning for the 36,000 mile Auto Box oil Change

When i got there i asked the receptionist to ask the technician to also check the software via Ford IDS, for the "Traffic sign recognition reduced performance" message as per the posts above

Even printed out Hamsters comments and gave that too her to pass on

When i got the car back, she said, The technician has checked the software and it is all up to date"..

Tried to get to speak to the technician but was told he was at lunch, and as i was not prepared to wait around i just left.

My assumption is that he put the VIN into the Ford system and it said All software up to date, as i have already done this after updating Maps to F9

So, can anyone recommend a Ford dealer that has actually done the IDS software upgrade, re the Traffic sign "problem"

Thanks  Dave 

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

Hi Dave

PM me your VIN, I'll have a look.

H

Cheers H

Have sent you a message

Brief update - so my barely audible Speed Warning 'chime' woke up again at the weekend - just for the remainder of one journey.  Which is now making me wonder if it is a bug rather than a hardware fault.  

This is only the second time it has been 'loud' in over a year of ownership - trying to fathom out the connection between the 2 events and the only thing in common I can think of is that I left the car mid journey each time. The first to put air in the tyres , the second to pop into a shop , both times left passengers in the car, but I believe I pressed the start-stop button ( otherwise the engine starts again when I open the driver's door ).    I will try the occasional park/stop/exit and try to think if there is any subtle order I was doing things in! I don't know what is worse to troubleshoot - an intermittent fault , or an intermittent 'success'!    If this behaviour is tied into the microphones somehow ( I was told that is what dictates the chime volume) , not sure how i can go about testing that - it might impact the effectiveness of the noise-cancellation which I assume relies on the microphones also.  I've tried to trigger the speed chime whilst the radio is blaring but that didn't work - I just couldn't hear the chime at all

I did call my local Ford dealer last week and asked for one of their technicians to call back but not heard anything yet

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club