Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Home Broadband only deals(short contract ones)

jace1969

In the middle of sorting a lot out and cutting back on stuff as family problems,i have the full Virgin Media package with everything but don't watch a lot of the channels so this is what i need.

I have had Freeview all done for years which does  to now but what i need is just a internet connection only with one of these monthly deals no contract but it just needs the power to do Netflix like no buffering and my laptop which i only go on YouTube of forums like this, no heavy work.

By the way there is no contract on virgin so can cancel anytime and im upto 350mb internet which i don't use or need that massive speed just need it to run Netflix and laptop.

Use your phones internet connection. We have for the last 5 yrs. Works fine for Netflix and amazon prime and much more. 

7 hours ago, Wino said:

Use your phones internet connection. We have for the last 5 yrs. Works fine for Netflix and Amazon prime and much more. 

Sorry for being a bit slow but as im on virgin mobile how does that work and i do have a bad signal inside the house,i can keep the mobile as its only sim only deal.

I would have thought Netflix used quite a bit of bandwidth?

Are you likely to be moving house soon?  If not, I don't see why a 12 month contract would be an issue.  Monthly contracts cost a lot more than a 12 month deal.

Just as an example, Now Broadband costs £18 a month for 11MB broadboand and free anytime landline calls.  Unlimited downloads so you can stream as much Netflix as you like.  Costs just £5 to setup.

The cheapest monthly here costs £26 plus a £25 setup.

If you must go monthly rather than a longer contract, using your phones data is probably better as suggested above.  You might need to change to a provider with better coverage.

You should have WiFi on your phone, go into it's settings and turn on WiFi, you may need to enter your router key. Aside from that all you basically require is an internet connection with a download speed that will accommodate your needs, just remember that your provider say's your speed is up to so many Mb but that doesn't mean that's the speed you'll be actually getting, 'unlimited' is a misnomer, the real term is 'reasonable usage, if your provider considers that you are using a lot they will strangle it and your speed will be lowered.

I personally cannot understand why people need all these 'packages' like amazon Fire, Netflix, BT Box and other like stuff, I don't know how people could have the time to watch it all and pay through the nose for all these extra services, paying £145 a year for the TV license is expensive enough with all the reality rubbish and constant repeat programmes broadcast.

I remember when TV broadcast programmes were in black and white and BBC was the only station, in 1963 when ITV started I remember a TV engineer coming out to tune the set to receive ITV, now we had two channels to watch, wow, however would we get the time to watch it. Can't remember what the license fee was back then, I think it was £4. How times have changed.

I think the idea is that you can choose exactly what programmes you want, when you want them - so for those with hectic lives they can sit down at 21.47 and specifically choose an hours programme to start immediately rather than selecting from 'live' TV choices at that point.

Some people also just have Netflix these days through their laptop or iPad...no TV licence needed.  I must admit, as much as I like ad free programmes on BBC, it isn't worth the cost of the licence imo.  But I have an Xbox so need to pay the licence just to have a TV set in the house, even if I never watched any BBC programmes. :rolleyes: 

On the subject of repeats...I was watching an episode of Bless This House from 50 years ago where Sid James' kids were sitting on a London Street blocking traffic and moaning about pollution with a bunch of other youths...  Honestly could've been filmed last year...the cars and clothes have changed, but I'm not sure much else has! :unsure: 

@jace1969 I pay for full fat VM services too (except landline where I cheaped out and only got weekends) but I find myself watching stuff through my PS4 instead (Netflix, amazon, Disney+ and Now TV) so I'm paying £70 odd for TiVo (V6 box) and all the channels but barely using them. On top of that I'm then paying for the streaming stuff too so that's £100 a month purely for fast internet for gaming/streaming which is my main use. In 5 days I've used 426gb mostly on just streaming stuff. 

Have a look here to see what your best options are if you only want rolling monthly contracts. Just enter your postcode and away you go.
https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband/only-deals

As Tom said though, they are generally more expensive as they still have to rent the network from BT/openreach (unless it's Virgin who have their own network and cabling) and cover costs. I also believe that some of these pay monthly no contract providers prioritise contract customers over pay monthly customers for usage so monthly customers get throttled speed wise and probably have a lower fair use policy. 

As for TV licence, it is a rip off considering they axed BBC3 and made it online only and they show the same rubbish all the time on their channels and lots of repeats. There really isn't that much on the beeb worth watching anymore. If they stopped paying presenters millions each year then it would probably be better value. Then again, I've heard that only something like 20% of the licence fee actually goes towards making programs. The BBC is all about money now for their shareholders etc (Tory party) which is another reason why they axed the free licence for over 75's.

The main reason is i have been a carer at home for mom and dad for 15 years,mom passed away 11 years ago and dad only 6 weeks ago so a massive job sorting stuff out

and myself and also a council house.

I don't know what i want yet so i don't want to get into a 12 or 18month contract as V.M gave me a great deal being changing name i was a new customer but contract and if

you cancel it earlier you have to pay the remaining months and the one now there is no contract so i can cancel when i want.

Netflix is the best thing i had myself as even if you do work as said above you can pick what you want to watch and also say Freeview and Netflix its only £8.99 a month for Netflix as freeview is free of course so you have a nice few normal channels and films/series/comedy etc.

Just the broadband i need to sort which there are a nice few out there work on a month like Pay as you go but didn't know how good some are with problems and stuff and speed so it just looking around as once i sort it out i have the option to cancel my package.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:26 AM, TomsFocus said:

I would have thought Netflix used quite a bit of bandwidth?

Are you likely to be moving house soon?  If not, I don't see why a 12 month contract would be an issue.  Monthly contracts cost a lot more than a 12 month deal.

Just as an example, Now Broadband costs £18 a month for 11MB broadboand and free anytime landline calls.  Unlimited downloads so you can stream as much Netflix as you like.  Costs just £5 to setup.

The cheapest monthly here costs £26 plus a £25 setup.

If you must go monthly rather than a longer contract, using your phones data is probably better as suggested above.  You might need to change to a provider with better coverage.

My current monthly rollover is 15Gb for £13pm with Virgin mobile ( not Virgin media) any unused data carriers over its currently at 35Gb. No landline. No satellite. No problems. All you need is either a smart TV or a chromecast and away you go. 

3 hours ago, Wino said:

My current monthly rollover is 15Gb for £13pm with Virgin mobile ( not Virgin media) any unused data carriers over its currently at 35Gb. No landline. No satellite. No problems. All you need is either a smart TV or a chromecast and away you go. 

Good job you don't have an Xbox...a single update is often more than 15GB.  Some are 50GB+!  :laugh:

It wouldn't work for me but seems to for you!  

So, I was intrigued about how much WiFi I actually do use in a month. 

I don't have Netflix or amazon or any TV streaming service.  I consider myself a fairly low internet user (bar Xbox updates) but it's more than I thought!  

Laptop - 14.7 GB

Phone - 14.3 GB

Xbox - 154.7 GB 😮

Good job it's unlimited! :unsure: The Xbox doesn't have massive updates every month but even the lowest month stored in its history was 11GB.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Good job you don't have an Xbox...a single update is often more than 15GB.  Some are 50GB+!  :laugh:

It wouldn't work for me but seems to for you!  

I do have one but its not connected to the tinternet as its the original one along with a mega drive 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wino said:

I do have one but its not connected to the tinternet as its the original one along with a mega drive 👍

I do miss the days where you could just put a game in and play it.  Next gen console games require a huge update when you first get them and seem to be constantly updating afterwards.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club