Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coin-Op Jetwash

TomsFocus

Has anyone used the coin operated jetwash at petrol garages?

Won't bore you with the details but I can no longer do it at home.  Not keen on the idea of an automated car wash (don't like feeling trapped) but remembered about garage jetwashes last week and noticed my local is coin operated so no need to deal with a person in the kiosk!  All good so far...  

But, it had about 5 different settings and I got flustered...I'm assuming one is jetwash, one is gritty brush and soap, what on earth would the others be?  :unsure:

Ok, so usually petrol station jet wash machines usually have these settings (each settings labelled next to the buttons you press).
Wheel cleaner (lance)
Foam clean/wash (brush)
Rinse (lance)
Power rinse (lance)
Wax (lance)

and my local Sainsbury's has one called
Final rinse (lance). 

I took my Fiesta yesterday to give it a good scrub. Cost me £6 for 18 minutes (£1 for 3 mins) but ours isn't coin-op. The one at the place where my sister works is coin-op and I have used that before. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nick Y said:

Ok, so usually petrol station jet wash machines usually have these settings (each settings labelled next to the buttons you press).
Wheel cleaner (lance)
Foam clean/wash (brush)
Rinse (lance)
Power rinse (lance)
Wax (lance)

and my local Sainsbury's has one called
Final rinse (lance). 

I took my Fiesta yesterday to give it a good scrub. Cost me £6 for 18 minutes (£1 for 3 mins) but ours isn't coin-op. The one at the place where my sister works is coin-op and I have used that before. 

Thanks Nick.  Looks like a lot of scope for error there, shame you don't live nearer as you could've shown me!  I think this one just had pictures rather than words, but was also fairly worn.

I just have a feeling all the taxi drivers will be laughing at me from their Prius' and Octavia's! :laugh: 

37 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Am I the only one who misread the title as 'Coin-op Jewish'? 😳😃

Oy vey... :laugh:

All I use to clean my car is a 2 gallon bucket of warm water, a well rung out cloth, wipe the car over frequently soaking and wringing out your cloth and then give it a good polish, saves a lot of water and gives you a good workout.

18 minutes ago, Milkman said:

All I use to clean my car is a 2 gallon bucket of warm water, a well rung out cloth, wipe the car over frequently soaking and wringing out your cloth and then give it a good polish, saves a lot of water and gives you a good workout.

For some of us that sadly is not an option due to disability, used to be my way but now it's even a struggle to use a jet wash.

• Like 1

For some of us that sadly is not an option due to disability, used to be my way but now it's even a struggle to use a jet wash.

Smother it in a thin coating of beef gravy and get all the dogs in the neighbourhood to lick it clean. 😁

•  
  • Haha 1

Glad to see the tag and quote functions working well in this thread... :biggrin: 

Sadly I have the same issue as Pragmatix, it's 'disability' that stops me doing it now.  (I hate that word though haha!)  Used to kind of enjoy detailing the car and took pride in having a clean one.  But now I can't lift, bend or lean much, can't use any 'exertion' (such as pushing a hoover), and can't use any repetitive hand movements (such as ringing out a cloth).  Honestly, the main thing I'd like to do with the car is pipe from the exhaust through the window, but damn euro regs mean that even that wouldn't be effective nowadays! :laugh:  So I'm really looking for the least strenuous way to effectively clean the car.  I'm not even sure I can get the hose downstairs and get my own jetwash out now.  I have thought about using the brush attachment on the jetwash (I can hear the detailers shrieks already!) with extensions to reduce any bending.  At this point, I'd take a few extra swirls over an embarrassingly dirty car.  I've also got some Autosmart wheel cleaner which should lift the brake dust without any need for scrubbing...so the reviews say anyway.  And I've got some Poorboys Glaze that I was hoping to apply in sections over a few days to hide the swirls for a few months.

@pragmatix How do you do yours?  Or do you let someone else do it?

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Glad to see the tag and quote functions working well in this thread... :biggrin: 

@pragmatix How do you do yours?  Or do you let someone else do it?

Oh yes top marks for functionality I can't tag you locks up the editor 

I use a coin op wash, some are better than others my local one is useless so if I go to Perth I use one at the VW garage it's the same one they valet thier cars with and works I only use the brush attachment on the wheels then just before winter I get it done by a valet who applies a protective coat , this seems to last really well and makes keeping it clean easier £60 well spent last all year too.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club