Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[MK3] Bought some LED headlight bulbs from eBay

DaSingh

I bought some bulbs a few weeks ago from eBay quite disappointed with them. 

First thing was the fitting, no extra clips or mount which means the bulbs could move especially if going over a ramp. 

Then theres the spread, not sure if these would even pass mot? 

Can't decide whether to keep them or return and wait for the game changers from Aliexpress? 

Thoughts? 

20200915_191953.jpg

I bought some bulbs a few weeks ago from ebay quite disappointed with them. 

First thing was the fitting, no extra clips or mount which means the bulbs could move especially if going over a ramp. 

Then theres the spread, not sure if these would even pass mot? 

Can't decide whether to keep them or return and wait for the game changers from Aliexpress? 

Thoughts? 

20200915_191953.thumb.jpg.4b09cf49b262039d96c388c498fa8105.jpg&key=a11e66f0fe2f7461531b09b0b8c7b2a86503cf74ceae40583134b71d60be1174

Make sure the bulbs are aligned left to right (if a double sided led variant) and you need a special h7 led adaptor to hold them in place if this is for your dipped beams.

I’ve got some in place at the moment and the beam pattern is exactly the same as your halogen one on the left except a lot brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Should look exactly like this - here’s mine at the moment.

4c8007937e30b1a8e4f6b215665ebf36.jpg

Just checked the listing again and adapter sold separately, will get some ordered they only a few quid but really need to stop going on eBay and aliexpress 🤣

Only done one side this evening, they been sat in boot for almost 2weeks! 

Screenshot_20200915-194429_eBay.jpg

Just checked the listing again and adapter sold separately, will get some ordered they only a few quid but really need to stop going on ebay and aliexpress [emoji1787]
Only done one side this evening, they been sat in boot for almost 2weeks! 
Screenshot_20200915-194429_eBay.thumb.jpg.27a43192ab2df2de1d36da4ef2c121fe.jpg

Hahah I’m terrible on eBay and AliExpress. The adaptor a are a fiver on eBay mate. If anything like mine, these are the adaptors: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143651585804

• Thanks 1

The beam pattern is poor because the bulb is not seated correctly.

As mentioned, you need to get an adaptor to seat the bulb correctly.

I would recommend the 360 degree or 4-side LED Bulbs as you are not getting any light to the top or bottom of the headlamp reflectors with those two sided bulbs which will affect light performance

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

I would recommend the 360 degree or 4-side LED bulbs as you are not getting any light to the top or bottom of the headlamp reflectors with those two sided bulbs which will affect light performance

If you are replacing a H7 dipped beam bulb this would not work. You will get no cut-off which will blind oncoming drivers and will definitely be an MOT fail. This link, first posted by @wilto, is an interesting read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjt said:

If you are replacing a H7 dipped beam bulb this would not work. You will get no cut-off which will blind oncoming drivers and will definitely be an MOT fail. This link, first posted by @wilto, is an interesting read.

All those bulbs are two sided.

As he says at the bottom the technology is getting better all the time.

Even Ford fit an H7 LED as standard to base model Fiesta and Focus now.

If the chips on the four side bulb are in the same place as the element on the Halogen you will get a much better, non dazzling, beam of light than a two sided LED 

• Like 1

The seller gave me a partial refund and the clips should come by Friday with a hit of luck. Got a mot booked in on 25th so will take it down before hand and see if the bulbs pass. 

I will upload some pics on weekend. 

I have not had a good luck at the bulbs this was just an impulse buy but I think majority of the ones I saw were similar to this, 2 sided. 

If they pass mot pre check then il keep em until something better comes along. At £35 I thought it was bit of bargain for H7, H1, H4 and sidelights. 

• Like 1

The seller gave me a partial refund and the clips should come by Friday with a hit of luck. Got a mot booked in on 25th so will take it down before hand and see if the bulbs pass. 
I will upload some pics on weekend. 
I have not had a good luck at the bulbs this was just an impulse buy but I think majority of the ones I saw were similar to this, 2 sided. 
If they pass mot pre check then il keep em until something better comes along. At £35 I thought it was bit of bargain for H7, H1, H4 and sidelights. 

As long as you’ve aligned them and they’re secure, you’ll pass no issues. Just make sure they are left to right and if you can align them at dusk using a wall or car park. LED tech has come on leaps and bounds in a year or so. Quite impressive really :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe sound daft but when you say left to right are they markings on them or do you just mean make sure they are as straight as possible and the leds are left and right instead of top to bottom? 

Maybe sound daft but when you say left to right are they markings on them or do you just mean make sure they are as straight as possible and the leds are left and right instead of top to bottom? 

Sorry, I mean make sure the LEDs are facing left to right and are dead center. Not up and down :)

• Thanks 1

Lol just checking [emoji106]

No worries, just make sure they are like this in your headlight. Angle is not the best when the photo was taken :)c2316ded5173568c190a825dac54fab1.jpg

Next on the list is some OEM headlights with drls, been contacting some breakers and no one seems to have any. 

If you are replacing a H7 dipped beam bulb this would not work. You will get no cut-off which will blind oncoming drivers and will definitely be an MOT fail. This link, first posted by [mention=62581]wilto[/mention], is an interesting read.

The link posted is based on LED Bulbs in a projector style housing with a lense to project the light in the form of a clean cut off.

Now, if we’re looking at replacing halogen bulbs with LED’s in a reflector housing, this is a different kettle of fish. The length, position of the led chips themselves, and the diameter play a key part of of producing a decent cut off line in the reflector bowl. As long as the placement of the LEDs match where the filament sits and the length from the base of the H7 bulb to the led match, 9/10 you should be fine. At this point it’s a matter off rotating the LED bulb until you match the cut off line of a halogen. Usually you would face the LEDs left to right if using a double sided bulb.

As long as you meet the above criteria. You will not blind anyone. I’ve taken my car to an mot testing station and had them check the cut off and alignment and no issues were apparent. On top of this the cat passed its MOT. This is a using H7 dipped beam LEDs in a reflector housing and not projector.

Considering all the lower models of Focus built since July-ish now come with LED Bulbs in reflectors (working up to full LED/adaptive LED in the TitX/Vignale etc), could it be worth getting onto Ford and see what their bulb cost is? Could be a straight swap?

• Like 2

If it does at least it will have EU type approval, none of the others will

• Like 1

Adapters came today but the pattern does not fill me with confidence. 

bulbs are aligned correctly as they can only fit one way with the adapters.

Will see how I get on with MOT! 

20200922_184552.jpg

In my opinion this beam pattern is very poor and will not pass MOT.

Below a picture of the beam pattern of my Focus MK3:

CnQ6o43.thumb.jpg.9031447d4a818acf1c4331486519d3a9.jpg

This is the beam pattern of aftermarket projector headlights in combination with aftermarket 2-sided LED Bulbs. The glare in the middle is just reflection of the (shiny) aluminium door.

Both the beam pattern and light output are perfect. In fact even better than the original HID headlights.

I'm amazed it passed with that beam pattern, there's no perceptible cut-off at all.

6 hours ago, DaSingh said:

MOT passed but il end up swapping with some better ones eventually. 

Please tell me the name of the garage so I can report them. That's utterly appalling.

Please take the bulbs out and save everyone else from being blinded.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, karlbbb said:

Please tell me the name of the garage so I can report them. That's utterly appalling.

Please take the bulbs out and save everyone else from being blinded.

OK Karen

• Haha 3

You can't use a brick wall to detect beam pattern.  Needs to be something smooth and reflective.  Here's a picture of my H7 halogens!!  

IMG_20180721_211719220.thumb.jpg.aa66b4a473675083affcc5f2b12e0ca0.jpg