Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Ambient Lighting Installation Guide!!!!!!!!!!!

calmcdermott

Looks mint! Dont think i would be confident enough to try it myself tho :(. but who knows, it really does look well :) Also did you just get the one 60cm strip? or three?

Thanks for the guide.

Looks mint! Dont think i would be confident enough to try it myself tho :(. but who knows, it really does look well :) Also did you just get the one 60cm strip? or three?

Thanks for the guide.

Thanks, i'm sure you would be able to do it and i bought 3 and cut them in half to fit.

i got my led's on order now for creating myself some rear footwell lights, cant wait see how it comes out with car bathed in red :) haha

i got my led's on order now for creating myself some rear footwell lights, cant wait see how it comes out with car bathed in red :) haha

Sounds good to me, need to see plenty a pics!

Sounds good to me, need to see plenty a pics!

think it will work better with mine than most people's on here with it being a 5 door!

So when do the lights come on? Whenever the ignitions on or whenever the courtesy light's on?

So when do the lights come on? Whenever the ignitions on or whenever the courtesy light's on?

when you unlock it and take the key out the ignition.

On my '10' ZS I have just checked and although obviously I dont have ambient lighting, nor any options for such on the onboard computer, I do have the sockets for footwell bulbs and they work!

• 6 months later...

are those 2 seperate wires you are running (1 x positive 1 x negative) or is it audio cable with twin cabling inside?

can you link to all you used? very interested in doing this as mine doesnt have wires or holders!!

Ash

I like the look of this!..

tho im thinking blue rather than red, but only because it would suit my car more than red..

Pretty good guide ther pal!

are those 2 seperate wires you are running (1 x positive 1 x negative) or is it audio cable with twin cabling inside?

can you link to all you used? very interested in doing this as mine doesnt have wires or holders!!

Ash

Hey Ash, I just used maplins, here is the link for the terminal connectors: http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=42654

I can't remember what audio cable I used it was a twin cable, one to carry positive, one to carry negative

Good luck :)

I like the look of this!..

tho im thinking blue rather than red, but only because it would suit my car more than red..

Pretty good guide ther pal!

Go for it, which ever suits you best! Thanks very much, I have had it in for quite a while now and still working as well

so 1 single cable with 2 wires inside?

like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=134&C=Froogle&U=134&T=Module

so you connect 1 internal wire to the positive and 1 internal wire to the negative? negative to 1 set of led strips and positive to the another strip?

SLightly confuzzled.

Hey buddy just tried to have a look on the maplins site but I couldnt seem to dind the sam cable that I used, to be doubly safe you could use this cable, you will only need to 3 amp cable. I have attemted a wiring diagram lol, here you go! wiringdiagram.jpg?t=1290721941

And i take it once you Twist the 2 additional wires, they run into another terminal block and led?

Superb Cal, Thanks!

(great diagram) :)

And i take it once you Twist the 2 additional wires, they run into another terminal block and led?

Superb Cal, Thanks!

(great diagram) :)

Yea so the curbed wires on the diagram are the continuation of the circuit until you get to the last LED which you just put the wire straight in the terminal block, simples! lol and thanks, took me a little while :)

ohh, just re read and now fully understand!!

on an unrelated note what bluetooth unit are you using (behind steering wheel?) and how easy+much was it to fit?

Ash

Cool! It's a Parrott system and it was fitted by Ford when I got the car for compensation as they didn't fit the original one (which may I add I wish I still had) I beleive you can get them from Halfords for about £150 and I beleive they can fit them as well.

• 2 years later...

Now with the remaining audio wire, push this up into the joint shown in the pic and round the gearstick.

11.jpg?t=1271622737

Same with the other side, you should have just enough cable to reach the driver's foot well.

12.jpg?t=1271622818

Again with the end of the wire twist the wires so they fit in the connector and connect the last LED in the same way.

13.jpg?t=1271622937

Finally stick the LED to the plastic under the dash and your done!!!!

Here's the end result biggrin.gif !!!!!!!

14.jpg?t=1271623020

Any comments or questions welcome, hope it makes sense!

Awesome Guide!!

There's an easier way to wire in the ambient light (on 13 plate zetec S's at least)

Remove the glove box by taking out the bottom two pins and squeezing the top part of the glove box, locate the wiring loom for the ford ambient lighting.

Feed the wire through for either the ford ambient lighting or a led strip in colour of choice.

If it's the ford one it's plug and play and will work ok, if you buy and led strip, splice the wires connect up and insulate.

Stick the lighting strip wherever you want it and reassemble glovebox.

I stuck mine to the top of the dash facing down, I bought a 30cm 15 smd strip, I think I really could be 40cm for a full length effect so I'd perhaps advise buying a longer strip that can be cut to size.

Will upload some night time pics later.

post-41938-0-51348100-1376585055_thumb.j

post-41938-0-72922600-1376585137_thumb.j

post-41938-0-74382700-1376585206_thumb.j

post-41938-0-68009300-1376585295_thumb.j

post-41938-0-31614200-1376585343_thumb.j

post-41938-0-20244100-1376585404_thumb.j

• Like 2

Bigmunkynutz Is there any chance you've got a link for the LEDs you purchased ? :)

I have to check again but i think there is 3 wires on mine? could that be correct?

and also how do you know it had to be 12V?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club