Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Ambient Lighting Installation Guide!!!!!!!!!!!

calmcdermott

Right all, here it goes, my 1st attempt at making a guide for you guys to follow, I have used 3x 12v red LED lights from eBay, 3 metres of audio cable from Maplins, x2 screw connectors from Maplins, total cost £18.00 so didn't break the bank!!!!

1.jpg?t=1271620306

Start by levering down the courtesy light, when it's dangling down force off the light with a screw driver (don't be scared it goes back in easy enough)

2.jpg?t=1271620451

Connect the wires as shown, (easiest way is to slide off the connectors from the light, twist the bare wire then in through the hooks in the connectors, back out and twist again so its like a lasso??) then these will slide easy on, before pushing the light back in thread the other end of the wire through the light hole towards the windscreen. push the light back in with the back part in 1st then the front hooks will just push in.

3.jpg?t=1271620726

Thread the wire along the roof lining towards the passenger door.

4.jpg?t=1271621893

• Like 1

Thread wire down door frame into the rubber seal and down the door.

5.jpg?t=1271621980

Again hide the rubber behind the seal until the bottom of the glove box, push into plastic where dashboard meets the side plastic (lmao I cant think the the correct words!!!!)

6.jpg?t=1271622156

Thread the wire from the LED through the whole in the dashboard, put your hand behind the glovebox and put it through and down into the footwell.

7.jpg?t=1271622267

Cut and twist the positive wires of the audio cable and re-twist together, same with the negative, do the same for the LEDs and then put them into the connector and screw them in. You can hide the connector and wires underneath the dash to the left next to the hinge of the glove box.

8.jpg?t=1271622513

Stick the LED under the dashboard.

9.jpg?t=1271622594

Same with the glove box one.

10.jpg?t=1271622646

Now with the remaining audio wire, push this up into the joint shown in the pic and round the gearstick.

11.jpg?t=1271622737

Same with the other side, you should have just enough cable to reach the driver's foot well.

12.jpg?t=1271622818

Again with the end of the wire twist the wires so they fit in the connector and connect the last LED in the same way.

13.jpg?t=1271622937

Finally stick the LED to the plastic under the dash and your done!!!!

Here's the end result :D !!!!!!!

14.jpg?t=1271623020

Any comments or questions welcome, hope it makes sense!

th_MOV00935.jpg

Forgot to add the video

Good guide, the final result looks like it came from the factory like that

Thanks!

Have you got the eBay link to the lights you used?

Great guide mate!

Thanks for this, when I get time in the summer I will be giving this a go.

Have you got the ebay link to the lights you used?

Great guide mate!

Lights

Here you go but they've finished now

Thanks for this, when I get time in the summer I will be giving this a go.

Only takes an hour!

so glad i got this as stock! after all the effort you gone through that dont look too easy!

so glad i got this as stock! after all the effort you gone through that dont look too easy!

Easy as pie! :D

Bookmarked! And thanks :)

Your welcome

one quick question actually... i kinda wanna wack some of these led's under the front two seats so the back lights up like the front footwells too cos I got a 5 door and just think might look smart... only issue is i dont think any of the LED cables would be long enough for if any reason i wanted the seats fully back so am looking at cable too extend the length, would you recommend that audio cable for that or not???

Cheers :)

one quick question actually... i kinda wanna wack some of these led's under the front two seats so the back lights up like the front footwells too cos I got a 5 door and just think might look smart... only issue is i dont think any of the LED cables would be long enough for if any reason i wanted the seats fully back so am looking at cable too extend the length, would you recommend that audio cable for that or not???

Cheers :)

Yea, I don't see why not, just make sure you secure the LEDs with more than the sticky stuff on the back as i cant imagine that holding for long if the seats are moved all the time. Oh and get some insulation tape round the connectors!!!

Yea, I don't see why not, just make sure you secure the LEDs with more than the sticky stuff on the back as i cant imagine that holding for long if the seats are moved all the time. Oh and get some insulation tape round the connectors!!!

Hi, there,s alot easier way calmcdermott like I explained to you the other day!!you don't have to make your connections at the courtesy light! make them at the back of the glovebox were the wires come down the N/S 'A' post.It would of saved you alot of time and trouble! this is what we do when someone comes to us asking for this MOD. Also make sure your wires are large enough to take the wattage and voltage for the particular light's, even though LED's are low voltage & wattage!!Also why thread the wire around the centre console? stuffing it up the gaps in the plastic! just run the cable behind the centre console and heater unit,makes sense, and alot more professional.YOU SHOULD OF ASKED FOR A FITTING GUIDE AND I WOULD OF SUPPLIED.

Hi, there,s alot easier way calmcdermott like I explained to you the other day!!you don't have to make your connections at the courtesy light! make them at the back of the glovebox were the wires come down the N/S 'A' post.It would of saved you alot of time and trouble! this is what we do when someone comes to us asking for this MOD. Also make sure your wires are large enough to take the wattage and voltage for the particular light's, even though LED's are low voltage & wattage!!Also why thread the wire around the centre console? stuffing it up the gaps in the plastic! just run the cable behind the centre console and heater unit,makes sense, and alot more professional.YOU SHOULD OF ASKED FOR A FITTING GUIDE AND I WOULD OF SUPPLIED.

Oh wow, sorry seem to have struck a nerve there!!!! Well to be honest there are no other guides anywhere and how did I know to ask. Well after all this is only a guide, you dont have to follow this exactly. Asked the guy at Maplins if the wiring would be sufficient and he said because it is such a small current it will be fine. Anyway I am not here to argue or be intimidated, as usual only trying to help!

Oh wow, sorry seem to have struck a nerve there!!!! Well to be honest there are no other guides anywhere and how did I know to ask. Well after all this is only a guide, you dont have to follow this exactly. Asked the guy at Maplins if the wiring would be sufficient and he said because it is such a small current it will be fine. Anyway I am not here to argue or be intimidated, as usual only trying to help!

No you havn't struck a nerve and i'm not trying to intimidate or argue!Just thought that these forums were there to help other owner's etc,that was what I was trying to do when I replied to your request for help, But hay ho! never mined.

cheers mate :) it's one i been looking at for some time but wanted too wait to get the wires right

and they run of the same timing as centre light thing dont they so for someone stepping out of a stock fitted one into yours wouldn't really notice how you wired them except the length of the led's above glove box

No you havn't struck a nerve and i'm not trying to intimidate or argue!Just thought that these forums were there to help other owner's etc,that was what I was trying to do when I replied to your request for help, But hay ho! never mined.

Thats ok then lol, clean slate? Just thought you were having a go as the writing style did seem rather aggressive but as you say hay ho at least were on the same page now. Well at least we now know there are two ways of doing it but that was the way I knew, still works as good and im proud how I managed to install it :D

Thats ok then lol, clean slate? Just thought you were having a go as the writing style did seem rather aggressive but as you say hay ho at least were on the same page now. Well at least we now know there are two ways of doing it but that was the way I knew, still works as good and im proud how I managed to install it :D

Yes WELL DONE !!

I don't no what you are doing but please put quote and reply in same post (Like this one)

Simply hit "Reply" and state your post :)

Thanks

Cheers man will have to do that soon! Was just thinking tho for the lighting above the glove box i might try and wire it in some where it can be on all the while, also want to get a little led light in that little pocket near the gear stick, what do you guys think?